Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Towing: Hot Tires?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Hot Tires?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/18 05:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ron3rd wrote:

Fwiw, trailer axles are supposed to be "bowed"

Not that way. Axles are supposed to "frown" at you, not "smile."

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/18 05:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SweetLou wrote:

not overloaded because it is designed for that boat.

Ok, then magic, I guess.

Seriously, you can't say that because we've already had one person in this thread prove that it is not necessarily the case. 2900+lb boat on a 2500lb axle. Overloaded.

Boats and trailers are matched by the boat dealer, not the factory. They are just like RV dealers, not knowing a %$#@ thing about trailer ratings, weights, or towing. They just put the boat on whatever trailer is cheapest, and fits the boat. If everyone is lucky the boat isn't heavier than the trailer is rated to carry.

Then you throw in the owner. Owners tend to know even less about weights and towing, and if they buy the boat out of the water, they have to find a trailer to haul it and they'll just buy the first boat trailer they come across.

All I could afford

North jersey

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/18 06:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Particularly if a guy walks into the boat dealer on Wednesday evening, agrees on a price on a boat, and wants it for this comming weekend.. the salesman knows better than to say “we don’t have an appropriate trailer in stock, but I can get it here in a few days.”

1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollin’ on 33’s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 68,000 miles

SweetLou

La Quinta, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/18 05:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mkirsch wrote:

SweetLou wrote:

not overloaded because it is designed for that boat.

Ok, then magic, I guess.

Seriously, you can't say that because we've already had one person in this thread prove that it is not necessarily the case. 2900+lb boat on a 2500lb axle. Overloaded.

Boats and trailers are matched by the boat dealer, not the factory. They are just like RV dealers, not knowing a %$#@ thing about trailer ratings, weights, or towing. They just put the boat on whatever trailer is cheapest, and fits the boat. If everyone is lucky the boat isn't heavier than the trailer is rated to carry.

Then you throw in the owner. Owners tend to know even less about weights and towing, and if they buy the boat out of the water, they have to find a trailer to haul it and they'll just buy the first boat trailer they come across.

I never bought that boat at a dealer. It was thrown in on a house deal, so why would I think that a boat the previous owner purchased from a dealer wouldn't be matched for weight. You assume that all dealers are idiots and mismatch what they sell you. Not really so and you know it so don't mislead here. I will do the prudent thing here and get it weighed only so I can make sure the new tires are matched correctly. Also good to point out that if the trailer set up was not correct for the boat, then the bearings would be hot as well by carrying to heavy of a load and they run cool.

2013 3500 Cummins 6.7 Quadcab 4x4 3.73 68FE Trans, 2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329 RSB
We love our Westie

marcsbigfoot20b27

Phx

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/09/18 08:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Like people have said.....
They were underinflated at 30 psi.
They should be at max which would be 50 psi for load range C.
Guy at discount tire said to always run max sidewall pressure on trailer tires, less heat generated that way.

myredracer

Langley B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/18 09:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If ST trailer tires, internal heat buildup will kill them - from being under-inflated, overloaded and/or towed over speed rating. Internal damage is cumulative too. If they've not been treated correctly for some time or history is unknown, I'd replace them pdq.

Tires do heat up though from travelling down the road and the pressure will go up which is perfectly normal. Without an IR gun, you're guessing as to them being too hot. Tires on one side of a trailer can get much hotter too if one side is out of direct sunlight. Have you set the pressure "cold" before heading out on the road? 30 psi is waay too low if LRC ST tires and asking for a tire failure.

You might take a read through the RVtiresafety.net blog and post on tire temp. here and his posts on ST tire pressure.

I hate CAPTCHA. CAPTCHA sux. CAPTCHA is evil. CAPTCHA needs fixing.

Gil, Deb & Dougal the Springer Spaniel
2014 KZ Spree 262RKS, Reese DC WDH
2009 F250 super duty, V10, 8' bed, Hawkshead TPMS

mich800

Pontiac, MI

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/18 11:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ralph Cramden wrote:

SweetLou wrote:

Tire set up is how this has been rolling down the road since 2006. Single axle, not overloaded because it is designed for that boat. Nothing else was in the boat. I inflated the tires to 30 lbs and they have always been jacked up off the ground for winter storage. I agree that I was close to tire failure but I just couldn't understand why they got so hot when the conditions were ideal and the load was normal.

How hot was "hot"? Too hot to touch, lukewarm, melting into a gooey mess? 20 to 30 degrees above ambient?
Probably normal, unless the tread ran into the storm drain as a liquid when you pulled over.

I am with Ralph. Unless we know what "hot" is everyone is just tossing out ideas for a problem that may not exist.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/18 11:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nother keyboard subject matter expert vs OP who hasn't yet given any qualitative data to talk about, including tire/rim/size/weight etc, only to say they had 30psi verified.
Easy solution 12 year old tires, spend the $150 to get a couple new ones, or don't because you usually only tow it 1 mile per year!

03 Arctic Fox 860
07 Dodge 2500 deezul

SweetLou

La Quinta, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/18 05:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

marcsbigfoot20b27 wrote:

Like people have said.....
They were underinflated at 30 psi.
They should be at max which would be 50 psi for load range C.
Guy at discount tire said to always run max sidewall pressure on trailer tires, less heat generated that way.

checked the side wall and it says max @ 35. I put 30

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/18 09:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mkirsh, but of misinfo on your part. Yes plenty of boats get shipped with no trailers, but most runabout to cuddly size boats that are targeted for day trippers and hauling to the lake come straight from the factory on a ......... Trailer.
35psi tires is a small boat/trailer/axle, so 30psi is still reasonable. My mistake, but get some new tires anyway.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Hot Tires?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS