Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: D-Day
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> D-Day

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/18 08:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can't imagine the courage it took to jump out of those boats directly into machine gun fire and watch your buddies drop all around.

My own dad was at Pearl Harbor during the attack. He had two buddy's killed next to him.

Last month I was at the Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific. It was my third visit over the years and it's all I can do to hold it together when I'm there.

A huge thank you to ALL who served.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins (lightly bombed),
2018 Silver Fox 32A - many mods to come!
H0NDA eu2000i

Rick Jay

Greater Springfield area, MA

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/18 06:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Every "D-Day", we have a family habit of watching the movie "The Longest Day". While the movie was made in 1962, in black & white and not as graphic as the movies of today, there is no mistaking the conditions those brave men had to endure. We do the same with other famous war movies on their anniversary dates such as "Midway" and "Tora, Tora, Tora".

We make sure our children watch it too (they actually look forward to it) as we believe it is so important for the youth of today to understand what the generations before them had to do to ensure our freedoms. We home-school them partly because we reject the revisionist history taught in many of the public schools today. CNN did a story on the 70th Anniversary of D-Day called "Exploding the Myths of the Normandy Landings" which tended to minimize the United States' role in the attack. It was a combined effort, for sure, but it would not have been possible without the brave men and military hardware supplied by the U.S.

We need to keep the memories and stories of courageous battles such as this alive and accurate lest we let history repeat itself.

God Bless all Veterans and those serving in the Armed Forces now.

~Rick

2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (21-Angel, Lexi96.org), 1 girl (16), 2 boys (18 & 15). Two Chinook dogs, 14 & 12.
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

67Cutlass

Fulltiming

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/18 03:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wallynm wrote:

So take a look at these photos from the 2014 Atlantic Monthly !!!

D-Day Then and Now

After it loads click on each image and toggle between THEN and NOW

carp65 wrote:

Lest we not forget the brave souls who landed on the beaches on
this day in 1944. They were truly the "Greatest Generation"

I found that site to be fascinating with how the pictures were so different but still the same.

2012 Phaeton 40QBH
2006 HHR - 5 speed
SMI Air Force One
Retired USAF - CEVG and AFTAC
Member of Tiffin RV Network Forum

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> D-Day
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS