cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Check before it's too late

postmandug
Explorer
Explorer
Just decided to check the lug nuts on our TT we purchased last fall. Got the trusty 4-way lug wrench out of my truck and realized the walls on it are too thick to fit on the nut with enough clearance on the rim. Good thing I checked now instead of after a flat! Added a 3/4 socket and long breaker bar to my tool box I keep in the TT. Go check yours now to make sure you have the right size lug wrench or socket in your TV or TT.
2017 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2012 Ford F250 w 6.7L Turbo Diesel, 3.73 rearend

โ€œAnd into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soulโ€
43 REPLIES 43

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
Indeed Ryobi is surprisingly good. A battery failed on mine in 11 months and they sent me a new one with much higher capacity. I donโ€™t carry it when travelling.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
5 pages on how to properly tighten a lugnut...........in the middle of summer! Just tighten them and move on! Jeez. :S
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
magicbus wrote:
rhagfo wrote:
Pop-Pop C wrote:
I use a breaker bar and socket, with a cheater pipe.

magicbus wrote:
I can't believe I survived to retirement using a crow.bar or 4-way instead of a torque wrench on wheels.

Wow, do you know how easy it is to over torque a lug nut with those devices!!! :S

Maybe you can over-torque a bolt with a 4-way or the jack handle that comes with the vehicle, but I'm sure I would hurt myself trying.

Dave

Not unless you are truly feeble. I doubt most trailers need more than 75 lb-ft, small ones might need even less. (I've seen cars that called for 50!)
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Goaltender1 wrote:
I am considering getting a cordless impact driver in the event I need to chang a tire on the road. Any thoughts which ones seem to be most reliable? I have a torque wrench to finish them off.

I use the Ryobi 18 volt One+ system for everything cordless that I can. I have had them for years and am still happy with them.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

rhagfo
Explorer
Explorer
Goaltender1 wrote:
I am considering getting a cordless impact driver in the event I need to chang a tire on the road. Any thoughts which ones seem to be most reliable? I have a torque wrench to finish them off.

Impact wrenches should be used only on the lowest impact setting to run lugs back on and only until the lug is snug. If your torque wrench clicks before the lug turns you already over torqued it!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Goaltender1
Explorer
Explorer

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ozlander wrote:
Lynnmor wrote:
azrving wrote:
Does the jack fit under the axle
When the tire is flat?

And will it lift the trailer?
Our double ram bottle jack does (it's about 7" tall collapsed).

Ozlander
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
azrving wrote:
Does the jack fit under the axle
When the tire is flat?

And will it lift the trailer?
Ozlander

06 Yukon XL
2001 Trail-Lite 7253

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
When we picked up our new TT at the dealer, the sales guy came out with a Home Depot Ryobi impact driver. He was going to tighten up all the nuts on the dual cam WDH and ball to get us off the lot faster. Impact drivers must have LOTS of torque... :B

I had taken a torque wrench with me and had to ask him to kindly step away from the TT please. :M

I wonder how they put customer's wheels back on in the shop when they do service work? I do know first hand that they can't even properly tighten a #8 wood screw.

Actually, impact drivers generate up to about 2,000 in-lbs ( 167 ft-lbs) which is pretty darn high for a battery operated device. For a number of reasons, not appropriate for automotive and related work. Excellent for house framing with construction screws. I framed a large house with one and would never go back to nails. I saw a mechanic on one of those car restoration shows use an impact drive on a customer's lug nuts. The boss found out and gave him !@#$ and nearly fired him.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Bobbo wrote:

The impact driver doesn't develop much torque at all. It is only 18v. If I have to change the tire on the road, The impact driver will seat up the lug nuts and I will use the breaker bar to snug them firmly. For over 40 years, I didn't have a torque wrench. I never had a tire fall off.

I think it is responsible to tell newcomers that come here to do it correctly. "Snug them firmly" is not the recommended torque specification.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lynnmor wrote:
Bobbo wrote:
Checked today. Then went to the big box hardware store and bought a 1/2" drive 13/16" deep well thin wall six point socket. (I already have a 1/2" drive breaker bar and cordless 1/2" drive impact driver.)

How much torque does the impact driver develop? Where is your torque wrench?

The impact driver doesn't develop much torque at all. It is only 18v. If I have to change the tire on the road, The impact driver will seat up the lug nuts and I will use the breaker bar to snug them firmly. For over 40 years, I didn't have a torque wrench. I never had a tire fall off.
Bobbo and Lin

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Bobbo wrote:
Checked today. Then went to the big box hardware store and bought a 1/2" drive 13/16" deep well thin wall six point socket. (I already have a 1/2" drive breaker bar and cordless 1/2" drive impact driver.)

How much torque does the impact driver develop? Where is your torque wrench?

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bobbo and Lin

dave54
Explorer III
Explorer III
I finally found a local shop that uses a hand torque wrench to finish the lug nuts. They have a chart on the wall, and as I watched the mechanics all dutifully walked over to the chart and looked up the proper torque for the vehicle they were working on. No relying on memory, they actually looked it up. They also replace all rubber valve stems with metal without my asking, and use metal caps instead of the cheap plastic ones. This shop is a keeper.

Unfortunately, they do not three-step the torque like the manual recommends. So when I get home I redo them myself.

An old-time grizzled mechanic once told me an overtorqued nut will loosen before a properly torqued one will. I have not tested that theory, but it sounds logical. As a bolt distorts from over tightening, not all threads will be fully in contact with the nut.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~