Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Beginning RVing: Check before it's too late
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Check before it's too late

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/18 06:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

donn0128 wrote:

You shourld actually be using a torque wrench to check and tighten the lug nuts.

If you are going to carry a torque wrench, be sure you know how to use it (some, possibly many, people don't) and how to take care of it (again, many people don't) and when and where to get the calibration checked (a torque wrench that isn't accurate is no better than a 4 way lug wrench or a breaker bar).

CM1, USN (RET)
2002 Fleetwood Southwind 32V, Ford V10
Daily Driver: '06 PT Cruiser Turbo
Toad: '05 Wrangler Unlimited
Toy: 1999 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, Auto, 4X4
Other toys: 2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

magicbus

Nantucket Island, MA

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/18 07:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can't believe I survived to retirement using a crow.bar or 4-way instead of a torque wrench on wheels. Only time I recall using a torque wrench was tightening bearing caps on an engine rebuild [emoticon].

Dave

Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/06/18 11:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pop-Pop C wrote:

I use a breaker bar and socket, with a cheater pipe.

magicbus wrote:

I can't believe I survived to retirement using a crow.bar or 4-way instead of a torque wrench on wheels. Only time I recall using a torque wrench was tightening bearing caps on an engine rebuild [emoticon].

Dave

Wow, do you know how easy it is to over torque a lug nut with those devices!!! [emoticon]

I just replaced the wheels on a John Deere 1435 Mower, torque on the lug bolts was 165 ft. lbs.! Yes, it was a bit of a reef on 250 ft/ lb. torque wrench, but not killer.
Without a torque wrench, it is too easy to over torque a nut or bolt resulting in breakage. Not fun running down the freeway!!!

Russ & Paula
The Beagles Precious, and Belle.
2001 Dodge 2500 4X4, 5.9 Cummins, NV4500, 3.55's, Pacbrake PRXB, DS Power Puck,Bilstein 5100's, 310,000 miles.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360# GCVW 19,500#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

paddykernahan

Westland, MI

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/18 04:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

donn0128 wrote:

You shourld actually be using a torque wrench to check and tighten the lug nuts.

Someone told be that they tighten their lug nuts to 3 erts.
I asked, what is an ert?
He said you know, that sound it makes when you tighten the lug nut, ert,ert,ert.

Since I started autocrossing a Miata 23 years ago, I use a torque wrench on most everything.
Too little torque and things fall apart.
Too much torque and the bolt gets stretched and weakened.

Tvov

CT

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/18 04:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

postmandug wrote:

Just decided to check the lug nuts on our TT we purchased last fall. Got the trusty 4-way lug wrench out of my truck and realized the walls on it are too thick to fit on the nut with enough clearance on the rim. Good thing I checked now instead of after a flat! Added a 3/4 socket and long breaker bar to my tool box I keep in the TT. Go check yours now to make sure you have the right size lug wrench or socket in your TV or TT.

Have you actually tried to change a tire on your TT? I highly recommend doing that at your house to make sure you have what you need. I have found that my factory truck jack works just fine to change my TT's tires - the multi-piece extended bar is actually quite convenient. And yes I had to get a socket just to fit my TT's lugs (nuts, whatever works).

azrving

Quartzsite

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/18 05:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does the jack fit under the axle

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/07/18 06:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

azrving wrote:

Does the jack fit under the axle
When the tire is flat?

magicbus

Nantucket Island, MA

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/18 07:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rhagfo wrote:

Pop-Pop C wrote:

I use a breaker bar and socket, with a cheater pipe.

magicbus wrote:

I can't believe I survived to retirement using a crow.bar or 4-way instead of a torque wrench on wheels.

Wow, do you know how easy it is to over torque a lug nut with those devices!!! [emoticon]

Maybe you can over-torque a bolt with a 4-way or the jack handle that comes with the vehicle, but I'm sure I would hurt myself trying.

Dave

postmandug

Bourbon country KY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/07/18 07:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tvov wrote:

postmandug wrote:

Just decided to check the lug nuts on our TT we purchased last fall. Got the trusty 4-way lug wrench out of my truck and realized the walls on it are too thick to fit on the nut with enough clearance on the rim. Good thing I checked now instead of after a flat! Added a 3/4 socket and long breaker bar to my tool box I keep in the TT. Go check yours now to make sure you have the right size lug wrench or socket in your TV or TT.

Have you actually tried to change a tire on your TT? I highly recommend doing that at your house to make sure you have what you need. I have found that my factory truck jack works just fine to change my TT's tires - the multi-piece extended bar is actually quite convenient. And yes I had to get a socket just to fit my TT's lugs (nuts, whatever works).

I carry a 6 ton bottle jack in my pass through.

2017 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2012 Ford F250 w 6.7L Turbo Diesel, 3.73 rearend

“And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul”

afidel

Cleveland

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/18 09:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tvov wrote:

postmandug wrote:

It's obviously NOT that easy as I'm pretty sure I've never seen a torque wrench used to put tires on in any mechanics shop or tire place I've ever been to. They all just use the air guns or electric equivalent. There's not some plague of wheels flying off of vehicles from overtightened lugnuts due to using simple air guns.

2017 KZ Sportsmen Classic 181BH
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 long bed
E2 WDH

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Check before it's too late
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS