Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Beginning RVing: Check before it's too late
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Check before it's too late

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/18 11:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

donn0128 wrote:

You shourld actually be using a torque wrench to check and tighten the lug nuts.

You can very easily over torque lug nuts with a 4-way !

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/07/18 12:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

afidel wrote:

It's obviously NOT that easy as I'm pretty sure I've never seen a torque wrench used to put tires on in any mechanics shop or tire place I've ever been to. They all just use the air guns or electric equivalent. There's not some plague of wheels flying off of vehicles from overtightened lugnuts due to using simple air guns.

They might have been using torque sticks and you didn't know it, or you shop for tires at incompetent shops. Yes, I have replaced studs and found loose lug nuts as well because of idiots at Pa State Inspection stations. Of course I always check torque after anyone fooled with my wheels. YMMV

Allworth

Orlando, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/07/18 12:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Off the OP's topic, but if your shop doesn't finish up with a torque wrench, find a more professional shop.

Lug nuts should be checked before EVERY trip and at least every four or five days while traveling.

A 3/4" deep impact socket fits my lugs and my rear stabilizers.

Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
2008 Titanium 30E35SA; EZ-Lube axles; wet bolts; spring hanger gussetts; BFG Commercial TAs
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

bucky

Bunn NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/08/18 04:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You don't use a torque wrench to change a tire. You would use it to finish the process.

2005 Cummins 2500 2WD LB quad cab pulling a 2007 Jayco 345bhs. It pulls better than Marcell Ledbetter's mule.

S Davis

Western WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/18 04:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you have aluminum wheels they can be damaged by over torquing.

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/08/18 05:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

afidel wrote:

It's obviously NOT that easy as I'm pretty sure I've never seen a torque wrench used to put tires on in any mechanics shop or tire place I've ever been to. They all just use the air guns or electric equivalent. There's not some plague of wheels flying off of vehicles from overtightened lugnuts due to using simple air guns.

They might have been using torque sticks and you didn't know it, or you shop for tires at incompetent shops. Yes, I have replaced studs and found loose lug nuts as well because of idiots at Pa State Inspection stations. Of course I always check torque after anyone fooled with my wheels. YMMV

X2
When I change a tire at home I use my impact wrench to run the lugs down on a low pressure setting, just enough to snug them up. Then torque with wrench.

Russ & Paula
The Beagles Precious, and Belle.
2001 Dodge 2500 4X4, 5.9 Cummins, NV4500, 3.55's, Pacbrake PRXB, DS Power Puck,Bilstein 5100's, 308,000 miles.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360# GCVW 19,500#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Turtle n Peeps

California

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/18 07:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Man, I live dangerously according to this thread!

~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/18 06:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Turtle n Peeps wrote:

Man, I live dangerously according to this thread!

Me, too. But then, in my 60 years (more or less) of driving, I have actually had the "doom and gloom" scenario happen. Twice.
The left front wheel fell off of a 1941 Chevy, at low speed, in town (1958). Luckily, no damage (other than a cracked brake drum), and no injuries.
Then, many years later (about 1985), the left rear wheel came loose on a Dodge pickup, but did not fall off. I tightened it up as best I could, then went to the NAPA store in the next town, bought new wheel studs and nuts, and replaced them right there in front of the store.
Both of those wheels were installed by a tire shop, not by me. After I reinstalled them, no more problems.
The only time I have ever used a torque wrench (properly calibrated) was on the aluminum wheels on AMC Eagles.

CM1, USN (RET)
2002 Fleetwood Southwind 32V, Ford V10
Daily Driver: '06 PT Cruiser Turbo
Toy: 1999 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, Automatic, 4X4
Other toys: a pair of Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

myredracer

Langley B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/18 09:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dup...

I hate CAPTCHA. CAPTCHA sux. CAPTCHA is evil. CAPTCHA needs fixing.

Gil, Deb & Dougal the Springer Spaniel
2014 KZ Spree 262RKS, Reese DC WDH
2009 F250 super duty, V10, 8' bed, Hawkshead TPMS

myredracer

Langley B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/18 09:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here in Canada, we have to tighten our lug nuts to newton-meters (Nm). After quite a few decades since metrification I have NO flippin' idea what a Nm is. My big and small torque wrenches are in good ol' ft-lbs (or is it lbs-ft.?) - good thing, 'cuz our US made RVs tell us what lug nut torque should be in ft-lbs. Many of our tools here are bilingual, lol.

Having the correct torque on lug nuts is very important as discussed on this website for example.

An interesting demo is to take a few nuts and bolts of various sizes (like 1/4", 3/8", 1/2") and tighten them without a torque wrench and then check with a torque wrench to see how close you were. Most over-tighten and I think by a fair bit.

As a side note, I have no idea what our tire pressure should be anymore - kilopascals. Pffft... [emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Check before it's too late
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS