Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Beginning RVing: Check before it's too late
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Check before it's too late

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
dave54

Northeast CA.

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/18 11:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I finally found a local shop that uses a hand torque wrench to finish the lug nuts. They have a chart on the wall, and as I watched the mechanics all dutifully walked over to the chart and looked up the proper torque for the vehicle they were working on. No relying on memory, they actually looked it up. They also replace all rubber valve stems with metal without my asking, and use metal caps instead of the cheap plastic ones. This shop is a keeper.

Unfortunately, they do not three-step the torque like the manual recommends. So when I get home I redo them myself.

An old-time grizzled mechanic once told me an overtorqued nut will loosen before a properly torqued one will. I have not tested that theory, but it sounds logical. As a bolt distorts from over tightening, not all threads will be fully in contact with the nut.

=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

Bobbo

Wherever I park

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/11/18 08:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Checked today. Then went to the big box hardware store and bought a 1/2" drive 13/16" deep well thin wall six point socket. (I already have a 1/2" drive breaker bar and cordless 1/2" drive impact driver.)

Bobbo, Linda and the furry kid (45 pound rescue)
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/12/18 06:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bobbo wrote:

Checked today. Then went to the big box hardware store and bought a 1/2" drive 13/16" deep well thin wall six point socket. (I already have a 1/2" drive breaker bar and cordless 1/2" drive impact driver.)

How much torque does the impact driver develop? Where is your torque wrench?

Bobbo

Wherever I park

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/12/18 07:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

Bobbo wrote:

How much torque does the impact driver develop? Where is your torque wrench?

The impact driver doesn't develop much torque at all. It is only 18v. If I have to change the tire on the road, The impact driver will seat up the lug nuts and I will use the breaker bar to snug them firmly. For over 40 years, I didn't have a torque wrench. I never had a tire fall off.

* This post was edited 06/12/18 08:51am by Bobbo *

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/12/18 08:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bobbo wrote:

The impact driver doesn't develop much torque at all. It is only 18v. If I have to change the tire on the road, The impact driver will seat up the lug nuts and I will use the breaker bar to snug them firmly. For over 40 years, I didn't have a torque wrench. I never had a tire fall off.

I think it is responsible to tell newcomers that come here to do it correctly. "Snug them firmly" is not the recommended torque specification.

myredracer

Langley B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/18 08:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When we picked up our new TT at the dealer, the sales guy came out with a Home Depot Ryobi impact driver. He was going to tighten up all the nuts on the dual cam WDH and ball to get us off the lot faster. Impact drivers must have LOTS of torque... [emoticon]

I had taken a torque wrench with me and had to ask him to kindly step away from the TT please. [emoticon]

I wonder how they put customer's wheels back on in the shop when they do service work? I do know first hand that they can't even properly tighten a #8 wood screw.

Actually, impact drivers generate up to about 2,000 in-lbs ( 167 ft-lbs) which is pretty darn high for a battery operated device. For a number of reasons, not appropriate for automotive and related work. Excellent for house framing with construction screws. I framed a large house with one and would never go back to nails. I saw a mechanic on one of those car restoration shows use an impact drive on a customer's lug nuts. The boss found out and gave him [email protected]#$ and nearly fired him.

* This post was edited 06/12/18 09:13am by myredracer *

I hate CAPTCHA. CAPTCHA sux. CAPTCHA is evil. CAPTCHA needs fixing.

Gil, Deb & Dougal the Springer Spaniel
2014 KZ Spree 262RKS, Reese DC WDH
2009 F250 super duty, V10, 8' bed, Hawkshead TPMS

Ozlander

Rose Hill, Kansas

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/18 09:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

azrving wrote:

Does the jack fit under the axle
When the tire is flat?

And will it lift the trailer?

Ozlander

06 Yukon XL
2001 Trail-Lite 7253

myredracer

Langley B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/18 10:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ozlander wrote:

Lynnmor wrote:

azrving wrote:

Does the jack fit under the axle
When the tire is flat?

And will it lift the trailer?
Our double ram bottle jack does (it's about 7" tall collapsed).

Goaltender1

Minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/18 09:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am considering getting a cordless impact driver in the event I need to chang a tire on the road. Any thoughts which ones seem to be most reliable? I have a torque wrench to finish them off.

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/17/18 10:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Goaltender1 wrote:

I am considering getting a cordless impact driver in the event I need to chang a tire on the road. Any thoughts which ones seem to be most reliable? I have a torque wrench to finish them off.

Impact wrenches should be used only on the lowest impact setting to run lugs back on and only until the lug is snug. If your torque wrench clicks before the lug turns you already over torqued it!

Russ & Paula
The Beagles Precious, and Belle.
2001 Dodge 2500 4X4, 5.9 Cummins, NV4500, 3.55's, Pacbrake PRXB, DS Power Puck,Bilstein 5100's, 310,000 miles.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360# GCVW 19,500#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Check before it's too late
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS