cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving the jacks

Flashman
Explorer
Explorer
This has probably been discussed before but I couldn't find it with a simple search.

I boon-dock a lot and when going over an uneven road I have come close to scrapping the rear stabilizer jacks.

I thought of some of the swing down type instead of the scissor jacks . Then I read somewhere? that another, cheaper solution is to move the jacks forward towards the tires - this would reduce the hanging down effect when going through a dip or over a hump.

Any opinions?
9 REPLIES 9

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Flashman wrote:
On my toy hauler the plumbing is forward. The spare tire would be the next thing to hit.

In my experience the rear of the trailer is where I get hung up. The extra 4 to 5 inches clearance provided by moving the Jacks forward would help.

That’s what I would do. Can’t see that hurting stability a bit.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

Flashman
Explorer
Explorer
On my toy hauler the plumbing is forward. The spare tire would be the next thing to hit.

In my experience the rear of the trailer is where I get hung up. The extra 4 to 5 inches clearance provided by moving the Jacks forward would help.

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
Huntindog wrote:
I have raised every TT I owned.
My present TT is 34'. It has been raised with lift blocks, a thicker spring pak, and larger tires.
I go down some pretty bad roads with this setup. My jacks have never given me a problem, so I have never considered moving them.
Personally, I am more concerned about the plumbing clearance than the jacks.

Very good point on plumbing.

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
Seems to me moving them eight to twelve inches forward would help a lot. Mine is 36’ long and when it drags it’s usually just the last inch or so that doesn’t quite clear. I think it would be worth a try. I don’t see where it would hurt anything if there are no tanks or utility lines etc. in the way.

Flashman
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
The further forward you move them the better they will be clearing dips but the worse they will be at stabilizing.

A simple option is to remove them and use simple aluminum jack stands.

Too much to mess with. I need a quick and simple.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Move the jacks towards the tires, it will actually allow you to put more weight on them so movement will not be more of a problem.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
The further forward you move them the better they will be clearing dips but the worse they will be at stabilizing.

A simple option is to remove them and use simple aluminum jack stands.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
I have raised every TT I owned.
My present TT is 34'. It has been raised with lift blocks, a thicker spring pak, and larger tires.
I go down some pretty bad roads with this setup. My jacks have never given me a problem, so I have never considered moving them.
Personally, I am more concerned about the plumbing clearance than the jacks.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

WNYBob
Explorer
Explorer
I've seen where people make them removable.

Here is a link Removable kit