cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newmar vs Berkshire - Diesel Bunkhouses

dgreen1069
Explorer
Explorer
I've been in the market for a Newmar Allstar, but they are somewhat few and far between. I'm considering a Berkshire 390bh, but can't seem to find much about their build quality. I also like the Tiffin 38QBA, but they are newer and cost a bit more (I'm trying to stay below $100k).

There are several videos on Youtube showing how Newmar constructs their RV's. I can't seem to find any videos for Forest River which makes the Berkshire line.

If I can get a Newmar I'd like the 3950. It has a loft above the master The downsides to the layout are no slide in the master and very limited outside storage. The coach has one large slide but the main living area has two extra captains chairs which I REALLY like.

The Berkshire is a more standard bunkhouse layout. The Berkshire has FAR more exterior storage. The Newmar comes with an ISC vs an ISB in the Berkshire.

Does anyone have any insight on either of these models?

Is there a general rule of thumb on how much dealers markup used inventory?
2003 Excursion Limited
6.0 PSD/5sp Torqshift/3.73 Limited Slip
2003 Potomac 30 EBS
Hensley Arrow
10 REPLIES 10

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
dgreen1069 wrote:
I REALLY like the main living area of the Allstar, but worry I might regret not having a bedroom slide.

Any thoughts on owning a motorhome with one slide?

What about the age? The newest Allstars are 2009’s. I’ve heard motorhomes take a BIG hit when they hit the 10 year mark. Is that as big an issue as I’m thinking?

Our old gas coach had just the main room slide and really liked the bedroom with as much room as I have now. Naturally a different floor plan with the whole rear closets and drawers, as well as end table drawers. This one with a full rear bath with closet and drawer space, then drawers at the foot of the bed with a corian top, creating the need for the slide.
We bought our present at 9yrs old and now at 11yrs, NADA low book is still above what we paid. So the key is obviously in what you pay for it, initially.
This 10yr rule thing comes from people who finance and with many banks not loaning on rigs over 10yrs old. This can be used as a bargaining tool and like in the next year or two, my buy here, won't be worth anything....blah, blah, blah!
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

dgreen1069
Explorer
Explorer
I REALLY like the main living area of the Allstar, but worry I might regret not having a bedroom slide.

Any thoughts on owning a motorhome with one slide?

What about the age? The newest Allstars are 2009’s. I’ve heard motorhomes take a BIG hit when they hit the 10 year mark. Is that as big an issue as I’m thinking?
2003 Excursion Limited
6.0 PSD/5sp Torqshift/3.73 Limited Slip
2003 Potomac 30 EBS
Hensley Arrow

67Cutlass
Explorer
Explorer
When searching for a motor home we did look at the Berkshire line. I found the quality to be lacking, sorry not trying to offend Berkshire owners. One thing that stood out in one Berkshire DP we looked at was the construction of the bathroom.

In the bathroom the counter top with the sink had Formica (or product equivalent) with particle board as the base. For me particle board in a wet/humid environment was not the best idea. Along with that numerous interior walls actually flexed when you applied moderate pressure with the palm of you hand.

We also looked at Newmar and under all the fluff a much better quality build than that of the Berkshire . No flexing walls or particle board in the bathroom.

But what it all boils down to is what you want. It's your choice, choose what meets your wants/requirement/budget.
2012 Phaeton 40QBH
2015 Jeep Cherokee
SMI Air Force One
Retired USAF - CEVG and AFTAC
Member of Tiffin RV Network Forum

wnytaxman
Explorer
Explorer
We had a 2011 Berkshire 390bh. It was one of those that got recalled and fixed for the overweight chassis. Forest River had us drive to Gaffney, SC where they replaced all six tires and the front air bags. That raised the carrying capacity from 1,900 pounds to over 5,000 pounds.

Literally that was the only major issue in seven years of ownership. It was a good unit all the way around and it did have one of the best floor plans we had seen. No complaints about the quality of the Berkshire.

So why did we switch? We wanted to go to a tag axle coach and one that was better insulated. The Berk could get really hot inside if the temps got well over 90.
2018.5 Entegra Aspire 44R on order, 2011 Berkshire 390BH traded

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
FOREST RIVER vs Newmar. no contest,Newmar all the way.
bumpy

ISC over ISB also!
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
FOREST RIVER vs Newmar. no contest,Newmar all the way.
bumpy

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
DwnSth wrote:
It sounds like your looking for something older than 5 years. One thing to watch on the Berkshires is on some models pre-2014 they had a recall on over weighted chassis. There was a fix to upgrade the tires and air bags not sure what else. I'd research and verify that. Also, many of the older units came with either the 340hp or 360hp as an option. 340 paired with 2500 transmission while the 360 was paired with a 3100. If you plan to tow more than 5K then keep that in mind. We're new to our 2014 but so far it seems to be in above average shape for a unit it's age. I have the 340hp and it handles our Jeep Wrangler with no problem. Have not had it in mountains yet but will in a few weeks - first big test and will determine if my quest for a diesel pusher was worth it.

If you seem to be lacking in the mountains somewhat, it can hardly be blamed on it being a DP, since you are a little under powered there.
General rule of thumb is 10HP/foot, which usually equates to weight, as well. Even with the Allison being a 2500, it should be OK for a 5K tow on the steepest of grades in the heat of the day and not everyone, wants to be king of the mountain, anyway.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
dgreen1069 wrote:
I've been in the market for a Newmar Allstar, but they are somewhat few and far between. I'm considering a Berkshire 390bh, but can't seem to find much about their build quality. I also like the Tiffin 38QBA, but they are newer and cost a bit more (I'm trying to stay below $100k).

There are several videos on Youtube showing how Newmar constructs their RV's. I can't seem to find any videos for Forest River which makes the Berkshire line.

If I can get a Newmar I'd like the 3950. It has a loft above the master The downsides to the layout are no slide in the master and very limited outside storage. The coach has one large slide but the main living area has two extra captains chairs which I REALLY like.

The Berkshire is a more standard bunkhouse layout. The Berkshire has FAR more exterior storage. The Newmar comes with an ISC vs an ISB in the Berkshire.

Don't think I've ever seen a mid engine coach, but interesting and even though not all that popular.
However, there seems to be quite a few of these Newmar's around that meets your budget requirements and don't be afraid to shock them with a low ball offer, as you may be pleasantly surprised....NEWMAR ALLSTAR

DwnSth
Explorer
Explorer
It sounds like your looking for something older than 5 years. One thing to watch on the Berkshires is on some models pre-2014 they had a recall on over weighted chassis. There was a fix to upgrade the tires and air bags not sure what else. I'd research and verify that. Also, many of the older units came with either the 340hp or 360hp as an option. 340 paired with 2500 transmission while the 360 was paired with a 3100. If you plan to tow more than 5K then keep that in mind. We're new to our 2014 but so far it seems to be in above average shape for a unit it's age. I have the 340hp and it handles our Jeep Wrangler with no problem. Have not had it in mountains yet but will in a few weeks - first big test and will determine if my quest for a diesel pusher was worth it.
2014 Berkshire 360QL

dubdub07
Explorer
Explorer
dgreen1069 wrote:

We settled on the Fleetwood Discovery 40G. In looking for a bunkhouse, we looked at the Tiffin and the Berkshire. I really wanted the Berkshire and did all the paperwork and was ready but the dealer I was going through kept adding costs and taking money away on trade, so that left me with having to keep searching. We were looking for another 390BH when we stumbled on the Discovery. The U shape dinette with the ISC motor, washer and dryer, and in-motion sat on the Discovery sold me. I really thought the Berkshire was a decent coach, however. I did not like the Tiffin.

As far as the Newmar, I looked online and it seemed on par with the Discovery minus a few things mentioned.

Hope this helps.

WW
2013 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
TOADS: 12 Jeep JKUR Wrangler, 16 Cherokee Trailhawk, 15 Grand Cherokee, 13 RAM 1500 Longhorn (not a toad) American STEEL = American profits
RET USAF MSGT (26yrs) and still DoD ATC.
DW,DS,DD in the MH w/Westley the killer PUG!