cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Awning lights won't turn off

rtreptow7
Explorer II
Explorer II
Camped without electricity now. Turned generator on and plugged camper in, then the led awning lights came on by themsleves (only one one of the 2 awnings we have). Tried turning them off with the touch pad on the awning arm and it wont' turn them off. The switch inside the camper for the lights are off. Tried disconnecting power for a few seconds to reset but this didn't work. I do not have a remote with this unit to control awning lights. Unplugged the generator and lights stayed on whether it was plugged in or not now. We have had a lot of wind and rain where we are camping. Wondering if something in the touchpad got wet and is shorting? I remember during our walk through last month the guy told us he has replaced a lot of these touch pads on the awning due to water intrusion. Any other ideas?
2018 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD Crew Cab 6.0L 4.10
2019 KZ Durango 1500 286BHD fifth wheel
2010 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew CAb 6.0L 3.73 REPLACED
2004 Chevy 2500HD Exteneded Cab 6.0L 4.10 gears REPLACED
2004 KZ Frontier 2453P-F fifth wheel-REPLACED
12 REPLIES 12

rtreptow7
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just to follow up to this, there is a recall on these smart arm controllers by Lippert due to corrosion from water intrusion. The official recall states the awning can start to unroll itself while towing....which could be a pretty big deal if that happened! I called my dealer and they are aware of the recall but do not have the parts yet to replace it but are expecting them soon. I have appointment scheduled to replace these. ( I have it on both awnings)

https://www.lci1.com/assets/content/support/recall/KZ_Dealer_Notice_Smart_Arm_Controller_.pdf

Potential Number of Units Affected: 7,401
Problem Description:
KZRV, L.P. (KZRV) is recalling certain 2018-2019 KZRV Durango, Spree, Spree Escape, Connect, Sportsmen, Sidewinder, and
Venom recreational trailers. The Solera Smart Arm awning may deploy while moving.
Consequence:
If the awning deploys while moving, there would be an increased risk of a crash.
Remedy:
The remedy for this recall is still under development. The recall is expected to begin on June 15, 2018. Owners may contact KZRV
customer service at 1-800-768-4016, extension 154 or 153. KZRV's number for this recall is KZ-2018-04.

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Just leave them on all night - then you can read about yourself on the forum in the morning. ๐Ÿ™‚
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

rtreptow7
Explorer II
Explorer II
myredracer wrote:
afidel wrote:
myredracer wrote:
Maybe pull the switch out and disconnect it. The switch could be defective.

If you disconnect the strip in the awning and it still won't go out, you have a serious issue... :E

The wire that goes out through the awning arm has switched 12 volts from inside your camper and there is no "control panel" inside the roller tube, just a splice or connector at the strip. I just got a new strip for our awning (1/2 the LEDS are burned out) and according to a Carefree of Colorado video uses a plug-in connector.

Wrong! The OPs trailer has Solera smart arm awnings, they DO have a control panel built into the arm. Just because your camper doesn't have a feature don't assume that nobody else's do.
Thanks, I haven't seen those before.

Not my rv or dealer, but here is the "smart arm" I have on my rv: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQKaXyaMdvo

bluie5
Explorer
Explorer
Does it also have a switch where the tank monitors, slide out switches etc are?
2016 Ford F-350 Super Duty CC PSD SRW 4x4
2018 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5BHOK

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
afidel wrote:
myredracer wrote:

If you disconnect the strip in the awning and it still won't go out, you have a serious issue... :E

The wire that goes out through the awning arm has switched 12 volts from inside your camper and there is no "control panel" inside the roller tube, just a splice or connector at the strip. I just got a new strip for our awning (1/2 the LEDS are burned out) and according to a Carefree of Colorado video uses a plug-in connector.

Wrong! The OPs trailer has Solera smart arm awnings, they DO have a control panel built into the arm. Just because your camper doesn't have a feature don't assume that nobody else's do.
Thanks, I haven't seen those before.

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
myredracer wrote:

2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II

afidel wrote:
SidecarFlip wrote:
unplug them....

The LED strip lights don't generally come with a plug, hard wired.

They do have a plug, usually....It is tucked inside either the roller tube, or the wall of the camper.... That is ho wthey change them when bad...
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
SidecarFlip wrote:
unplug them....

The LED strip lights don't generally come with a plug, hard wired.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

rtreptow7
Explorer II
Explorer II
We did not get a remote if there is supposed to be one? We do have the app on the phone, but you can't turn the awning lights on and off with the app, only the v shaped led lights on the front of the camper. There is a touch pad inside the unit attached to the wall.

Called dealer now that they are open, had us pop the control panel off on awning arm and there was a bunch of water and corrosion in there. Going to dry it out good but they are also giving us a new panel when we can pick it up. This is a known problem with the outdoor control panels on the awnings I Guess.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
unplug them....
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

rbp111
Explorer
Explorer
Are you absolutely sure that there is not a remote for the awning lights. I had the same thing happen to me, and a neighbor said turn off the remote. So I went to the remote, and voila. It turned the light off.