Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Where are the modern euro style travel trailers?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Where are the modern euro style travel trailers?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Next
Proteus

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/18 09:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After going to a few RV shows, it’s just incredibly frustating that we can’t seem to find a travel trailer that doesn’t look and feel like it was designed back in the 80’s.
Closest i’ve seen to what we want is Airstream, but they seem ridiculously overpriced.
Looking outside the US, of course there are some amazing options, all in the $30-40k range equivalent. Where are the US manufacturers who can come close to this?
http://www.adria-mobil.com/caravans/alpina/
or this
http://www.coachman.co.uk/vip
The fit and finish, interior quality all seem lightyears beyond what we have available here. And they’re around half the price of an equivalent Airstream
Anyone know if anyone is importing these anytime soon?

bob213

Fresno, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/07/18 10:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree. Both of your links appear to be light years ahead of our choices. Our problem is we keep buying the poorly constructed, out of date products US mfgs. want to push out the door. Until we demand more we'll keep getting less. If they did import them, Coachman would have to start putting their doors on the opposite side to work in the US. Our Mfgs. need some real competition.

You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality – Ayn Rand

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/18 10:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

what the heck is an i shaped exterior?
bumpy

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/18 10:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you ever used a euro-RV?

Low ceilings, narrow, no slides, no air/con, cassette toilet, etc...

White or other light color interiors to help show dirt when the kids come in from playing in the mud.

They serve their purpose in Europe where tow vehicles have much lower tow ratings, power is 3 times the price and campground sites are a fraction of the size of American ones.

Style is subjective. The average buyer particularly among bigger units are older and more conservative, so they probably aren't interested in the modern look.

You might try something like the rpod for a similar look.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

kerrlakeRoo

Va

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/18 11:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How about this one,,,
www.livinlite.com

Proteus

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/18 11:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks. Did look at Livinlite, but the build quality isn’t quite there. Cheap vinyl trim, etc. Only thing in the US that I’ve seen to be competitive is Airstream, and they cost about 2x the price of the euro models I linked...and also heavier.
The *one* exception I saw was the Jayco Skylark from a few years ago, but they’re no longer available and were a bit too small. I’d get a 24” version of that in a heartbeat.

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/18 11:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

White or other light color interiors to help show dirt when the kids come in from playing in the mud.

They serve their purpose in Europe where tow vehicles have much lower tow ratings, power is 3 times the price and campground sites are a fraction of the size of American ones.

Style is subjective. The average buyer particularly among bigger units are older and more conservative, so they probably aren't interested in the modern look.

You might try something like the rpod for a similar look.
Have to agree with the statement (The average buyer particularly among bigger units are older and more conservative).

I looked at a DRV and did not care for the 80's interior. Love the build quality of the unit I seen but that was several years ago.

Carriage had a very modern interior designed model and it did not sell well.

SoundGuy

S Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/18 11:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

Have you? [emoticon]

I posted in another concurrent thread these pics of an Australian caravan ...

[image]

[image]

These beautifully constructed caravans hardly meet your erroneous description of so-called European styled campers, other than to say that slides are not favoured as they are here in N America. Quality of construction far surpasses what is produced here and even smaller units are fully featured, very often including built in washing machines, collapsing dinette table pedestals, huge windows, huge skylights, designer style lavatories that NA manufacturers could only dream of. [emoticon] The problem here is simple - NA buyers are just not willing to pay for campers of this quality. [emoticon]

Lwiddis

Hearst San Simeon SP

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/07/18 12:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Berkshire Hathaway didn't buy Forest River to assist with increasing competition.

2015 Winnebago 2101DS TT & Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts WindyNation solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for US flag. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - old MOS 1542 & 1560.

mgirardo

Brunswick, GA

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/18 02:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SoundGuy wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:

Have you? [emoticon]

I posted in another concurrent thread these pics of an Australian caravan ...

These beautifully constructed caravans hardly meet your erroneous description of so-called European styled campers, other than to say that slides are not favoured as they are here in N America.

You are aware that Australia isn't in Europe right? The OP asked about European RVs.

-Michael

Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Where are the modern euro style travel trailers?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS