Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Where are the modern euro style travel trailers?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Where are the modern euro style travel trailers?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/18 03:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SoundGuy wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:

Have you ever used a euro-RV?

Low ceilings, narrow, no slides, no air/con, cassette toilet, etc...

Have you? [emoticon]

I posted in another concurrent thread these pics of an Australian caravan ...

[image]

[image]

These beautifully constructed caravans hardly meet your erroneous description of so-called European styled campers, other than to say that slides are not favoured as they are here in N America. Quality of construction far surpasses what is produced here and even smaller units are fully featured, very often including built in washing machines, collapsing dinette table pedestals, huge windows, huge skylights, designer style lavatories that NA manufacturers could only dream of. [emoticon] The problem here is simple - NA buyers are just not willing to pay for campers of this quality. [emoticon]

Yes, I have...hence my post.

When did Australia get moved to Europe?

And check out the specs on the Aussie models. They are generally narrower and shorter. Which is fine if it meets your needs but when you have small areas it's amazing what an extra foot of width will do to the feeling of space.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/18 03:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No reason to change direction on design when the RV industry is about to set an all time high for sales for the 2nd year in a row. People love Target and Walmart.

SoundGuy

S Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/18 03:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

Have you ever used a euro-RV?

Low ceilings, narrow, no slides, no air/con, cassette toilet, etc...

SoundGuy wrote:

Have you? [emoticon]

I posted in another concurrent thread these pics of an Australian caravan ...

These beautifully constructed caravans hardly meet your erroneous description of so-called European styled campers, other than to say that slides are not favoured as they are here in N America.

mgirardo wrote:

You are aware that Australia isn't in Europe right? The OP asked about European RVs.

The OP said - "Looking outside the US, of course there are some amazing options, all in the $30-40k range equivalent. Where are the US manufacturers who can come close to this?"

Answer - you can't, but aside from in Europe itself you can find them Downunder, where European style caravans are the norm. My wife being Australian, we've been many times so yeah, I'd say I have some idea as to where Australia is. [emoticon]

Americans could enjoy these well designed, well made campers as well ... EXCEPT for the fact they're not willing to pay for them. [emoticon]

Proteus

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/18 03:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Please, before this turns into some political thing, just looking for a high quality travel trailer, towable by an 7200lb rated vehicle, with a modern interior. All I can find so far is Airstream (the “Sachs 5th Avenue”) of trailers and everything else seems to be Walmart or Target quality at best. Other countries appear to have much nicer mid range options...why don’t we? I’d be happy with Nordstrom’s...or even Macy’s!

SoundGuy

S Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/18 03:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

And check out the specs on the Aussie models. They are generally narrower and shorter.

A classic case of ignorance, caravans are built using metric measure, 2390 mm being a common trailer width i.e. 7.8 feet, not chosen because it offers some magical advantage over 8' but simply because that's what works well in metric measure. As in Europe caravan owners aren't dragging around 30'+ monsters because V6 powered mid size vehicles are the preferred choice for towing, necessary because 1/2 ton and larger vehicles as we have here in N America are simply too big. You may not like it but believe it or not there is a world out there beyond the US borders where the vast majority of the world often does things differently than in the US. Get used to it. [emoticon]

seaeagle2

seattle

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/07/18 03:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We spent 2 weeks on a road trip from Sydney to the 12 Apostles and back up through the Blue Mountains with week in Malua Bay with our Australian friends. We saw 2 full size American style pickups, but tons of Utes. Our friend has a Diesel Mazda B50. Basically a Ranger size dual cab 4X4 with a flatbed that looks like the beds on the Home Depot rental trucks. Australia is full of Caravan parks, we were there in the Spring before school let out so most were still empty.

2010 F 150 4.6 3V
2014 Chalet Takena 1860
"one life, don't blow it", Kona Brewing
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life there'd be a shortage of fishing poles" Doug Larson

Lwiddis

Hearst San Simeon SP

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/07/18 06:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Berkshire Hathaway is moving Australia to Europe? Warren and Charlie can do!

2015 Winnebago 2101DS TT & Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts WindyNation solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for US flag. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - old MOS 1542 & 1560.

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/18 08:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SoundGuy wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:

And check out the specs on the Aussie models. They are generally narrower and shorter.

A classic case of ignorance, caravans are built using metric measure, 2390 mm being a common trailer width i.e. 7.8 feet, not chosen because it offers some magical advantage over 8' but simply because that's what works well in metric measure. As in Europe caravan owners aren't dragging around 30'+ monsters because V6 powered mid size vehicles are the preferred choice for towing, necessary because 1/2 ton and larger vehicles as we have here in N America are simply too big. You may not like it but believe it or not there is a world out there beyond the US borders where the vast majority of the world often does things differently than in the US. Get used to it. [emoticon]

There is no ignorance they are generally narrower and shorter.
The why is really irrelevant. The euro models are smaller than US models.
I do like some of the materials and finishes they use, but at the end of the day I see the Euro units as tight and cramped vs. what we have readily available in the US.

07Duramax w/hips,12Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,K-Bee exhaust brake,RV safepower
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
Arvika rack,BakFlip,RVLock
5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,keyless RV Lock
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

TurnThePage

North ID

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/18 08:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There used to be a couple brands that I think fit the bill. Google "Earthbound" travel trailers and "Evergreen Element" travel trailers. There are some used ones of each for sale in various locations through out the country. I like both very much.

2015 Ram 1500
2004 Pioneer 18T6

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/18 05:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

there was a campground adjacent to my hotel in France. jam packed with TTs about 22 ft long with many/most having a fitted screened room similar to a R Pod, the ones I could see in the front door appeared to have a U shaped dinette that could be made into a bed. nothing fancy but serviceable.
saw one large class a at an airport, frankfort IIRC everything else were TTs and class Cs.
stopped at a dealer and wasn't impressed.
my friend had a C and I was impressed with the cabinetry that appeared to be formica, not US fake wood vinyl shelf paper.
had the windows that were plastic, hinged at the top, with shades/screens depending on which way you pulled them.
bumpy

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Where are the modern euro style travel trailers?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS