Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Has Photobucket released your photos held hostage last year?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Has Photobucket released your photos held hostage last year?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
myredracer

Langley B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/18 10:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As many will know, last year photo-butt abruptly blocked everyone from accessing photos you had on their site and demanded $399 in ransom to get them back. Whoever runs it is a complete moron to say the least. I've seen posts on forums all over the internet with photos blocked and the PB third party notification. Same on ebay and elsewhere. What kind of a moron would come up with that kind of marketing strategy? Insanity!

So I've noticed just recently that when I've tried to post a couple of PB photos they are working again. Does anyone know if you will be able to post your existing photos again and if so, is it going to be permanent?

* This post was edited 06/07/18 10:47am by an administrator/moderator *

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/18 10:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You just complained about the morons wanting $399 ransom for pictures and you're now posting pictures on their site?
I guess I'm missing something.. [emoticon]

myredracer

Langley B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/18 11:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gbopp wrote:

You just complained about the morons wanting $399 ransom for pictures and you're now posting pictures on their site?

No, I'm NOT posting photos ON their site again and isn't what I said at all. It seems like people can now post existing photos from your old PB account from before last year's cutoff date (July IIRC).

If they can be posted again, I don't have to go through the hassle of finding them on my PC and going to imgur or elswhere to be able to post them on RV.net. When we're camping we have a laptop that doesn't have my photos on it so can't post photos when not at home. I can also easily and quickly do a google search and find the exact PB photos I've posted in the past and repost them. I'd rather not have to spend a bunch of time moving photos to another photo hosting site if I don't have to. I may still put the photos on imgur or elsewhere because I found PB itself was super slow.

It's really a shame you can't upload photos directly to RV.net like most other forums these days.

I hate CAPTCHA. CAPTCHA sux. CAPTCHA is evil. CAPTCHA needs fixing.

Gil, Deb & Dougal the Springer Spaniel
2014 KZ Spree 262RKS, Reese DC WDH
2009 F250 super duty, V10, 8' bed, Hawkshead TPMS

RoyB

King George, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/07/18 11:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I got a message from Photobucket last week that my FREE account was unblocked and then they listed their new sign-up deal. I looked on their site and saw I had all the same photos on my Hard Drive they had of mine. Then I deleted my FREE Photobucket Account and sent their email to the Junk E-Mail folder I have here...

I am quite happy with the IMGUR free posting site at this point...

Roy Ken
[image]

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/18 12:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

myredracer wrote:

gbopp wrote:

No, I'm NOT posting photos ON their site again and isn't what I said at all. It seems like people can now post existing photos from your old PB account from before last year's cutoff date (July IIRC).

If they can be posted again, I don't have to go through the hassle of finding them on my PC and going to imgur or elswhere to be able to post them on RV.net. When we're camping we have a laptop that doesn't have my photos on it so can't post photos when not at home. I can also easily and quickly do a google search and find the exact PB photos I've posted in the past and repost them. I'd rather not have to spend a bunch of time moving photos to another photo hosting site if I don't have to. I may still put the photos on imgur or elsewhere because I found PB itself was super slow.

It's really a shame you can't upload photos directly to RV.net like most other forums these days.
Why would you even take a chance? I pulled all my photos from PhotoBucket and dumped the site in the trash. I mean, "Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice...". Download your photos and delete any reference to PhotoBucket.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

DutchmenSport

Between Anderson, Pendleton, & Lapel, Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/07/18 01:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would not know. I deleted all my photos from PB and then made sure they knew I wanted to close my account and WHY. I've not received anything from PB inviting me back.

Perhaps the images you are seeing on different sites from PB is because their owner is paying the $399.

DutchmenSport

2013 Outback 298RE
2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax Dually
1400 / 14000 Equal-i-zer Weight Distribution
2 Dachshunds, 1 cat, 2 old folks and lots of love!

Desert Captain

Tucson

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/18 02:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I too blew off Photobucket when they held all of my pics for ransom a couple of years ago. They kept making offers to get me back and given the number of pics I had acrued I finally caved when it got down to $19.99 a year... a far cry from the $400 they initially wanted to restore my third party hosting privileges.

Yes they are a PITA but given all of the pics I already had in their system it was worth $20 to me. Arrrrg!

[emoticon]

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/07/18 03:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Released? I deleted all my photos and deleted my account completely.
Probably what they wanted anyway.

PB is now added to my 'list'.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

myredracer

Langley B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/18 03:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

Why would you even take a chance? I pulled all my photos from PhotoBucket and dumped the site in the trash. I mean, "Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice...". Download your photos and delete any reference to PhotoBucket.

I've still got all the originals on my computer at home so no worries there. Most of the ones on PB are RV related and if I want to post one on RV.net it saves a lot of time looking through a thousand or two on my computer to find the one I want, then laboriously downloading one at a time onto imgur to be able to post them here.

All the various photos on my computer are in way too many jumbled folders and a big ol' mess that makes them hard to find. Needs cleaning up some day but too many other things I'd rather be doing.

Ralph Cramden

US

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/18 04:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you read the fine print they held nothing hostage. Since their inception in the ULA by uploading images to their site, no matter if it was a free or paid account, you released all rights to the material including copy rights. So if you're a decent photographer, don't be surprised to find one of your images being used commercially. You gave it to them lock, stock, and barrel.

And the most recent was not the first time they blocked images that were linked to boards. They did it twice sometime between 09 and 2012.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Has Photobucket released your photos held hostage last year?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS