cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

92 Fleetwood Bounder only starts with aux boost

Miked9606
Explorer
Explorer
92 Bounder does not start unless aux boost is pressed. Has good main 12v battery. Please help
40 REPLIES 40

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sure someone has mentioned this but I just find it hard to read this thread so I'm skipping pages. Solenoid contacts like any other switch contacts can become burned and pitted, they may show battery voltage but are unable to pass amperage through the less than perfect contacts. Cables to connectors and connectors to bolts can become loose and show voltage or become corroded and show voltage but not be capable of carrying the amperage they should.

There are test sets for most of these problems and a very cheap test set is the battery test set. Also many autoparts stores will test for free. Most often it is faster and easier to check for loose nuts, screws and bolts and clean contact surfaces than try to get to a store for a test.

That's what most of this thread is all about. You can have a brand new battery fully charged and still not be able to start an engine.

Just lessons learned over the years.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

Miked9606
Explorer
Explorer
Big thank you to everyone who chinned in and especially those who stuck with this and emailed me continuously through the process for days. Turns out after testing everything relays, solenoids, switches, disconnects and all testing good. Found a starter solenoid under doghouse tucked way up agains the inside rails that for who knows why the previous owner did not have power going from main bat to it, simply had house bat power going to it from aux solenoid. No free cables just hanging or anything. Obviously a cable was removed at some point. Added proper cable and power from chassis bat to starter solenoid and all works as it should. Thank you again and I look forward to passing a long some of the information I learned.

Miked9606
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
The ignition relay only operates after the chassis battery has got charged. Normally 15-20 seconds on mine.
Page 7 of the manual I sent explains it and how to test.

Sent pm. Please explain what you mean after chassis battery has got charged? What does it do then?

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
The ignition relay only operates after the chassis battery has got charged. Normally 15-20 seconds on mine.
Page 7 of the manual I sent explains it and how to test.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Miked9606
Explorer
Explorer
Like this. Not exact but same type.
Miked9606 wrote:
enblethen wrote:
Ignition box?
What does it look like?
Measure between negative posts between the two batteris. It should be zero Ohms. Continuity.

Looks like a fuel relay but says ignition relay

Miked9606
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
Ignition box?
What does it look like?
Measure between negative posts between the two batteris. It should be zero Ohms. Continuity.

Looks like a fuel relay but says ignition relay

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Ignition box?
What does it look like?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

Miked9606
Explorer
Explorer
Miked9606 wrote:
enblethen wrote:
I sent a PM.
Check to see if you have same voltage on each os the terminals on breaker. If no, try pushing the red reset.

I retested. Bat 12.49, starter solenoid 12.49

Nothing at breaker

Revised. Yes same on both sides of breaker with neg meter on ground (chassis). On of the ends of breaker goes to an ignition relay box. Possible issue since I have power everywhere else?

Miked9606
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
I sent a PM.
Check to see if you have same voltage on each os the terminals on breaker. If no, try pushing the red reset.

I retested. Bat 12.49, starter solenoid 12.49

Nothing at breaker

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I sent a PM.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Miked9606 wrote:

From bat it goes to starter solenoid. Getting 11.97 on solenoid.

11.97 means EITHER a dead battery or significant resistance somewhere between battery and starter solenoid.

What is battery voltage (positive terminal of battery to negative terminal of battery)?

The two should be exactly the same when no load/starter not engaged.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Miked9606
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
That sounds like not getting control (ignition) power from chassis battery
In the battery control center, look for a circuit breaker fed from the chassis battery.
do you see amodel number of the battery control center?

See link for breaker style. https://g.co/kgs/bqeT2S

I see a pt number 4165 Phillips product

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
That sounds like not getting control (ignition) power from chassis battery
In the battery control center, look for a circuit breaker fed from the chassis battery.
do you see amodel number of the battery control center?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

Miked9606
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
Look around the chassis battery for a large wire that goes to the Ford starter relay on the fire wall. Fords have a different starting system then my Chev chassis. Fords have a starter relay and some have a starter solenoid as well.
My rig has large power cable to the starter solenoid mounted on it. Fords wire through a starter relay. My starter power does not go through the disconnect.
Make sure your chassis battery has good ground.
Locate starter relay. Verify that there is 12 volts from the battery.
When energizing the aux start, the starter power goes through the relay in the battery control center. This provides a separate path to get to starter relay.

From bat it goes to starter solenoid. Getting 11.97 on solenoid.