Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Washington state hwy 20 from Okanagan to Mt Vernon
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Washington state hwy 20 from Okanagan to Mt Vernon

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Lexx

California

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/18 10:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We may have to alter our summer tour and cross back into the USA at Osoyoos, B.C.

We want to store our trailer in Bellingham, and spend 3 weeks with relatives in Vancouver B.C.

The quickest way seems to be via Hwy 20. How tough of a drive is this for a dually pulling a 34 ft fifth wheel?.

2017 Ruby Red Platinum F450 - my kids call her "Big Red"
2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

paulj

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/18 12:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Where have you been? It's hard to imagine getting to Osoyoos without having crossed similar mountain passes in Canada.

Lexx

California

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/18 12:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We will be coming from Jasper, Banff and Revelstoke, down the Okanagan Valley in B.C.

I've never been on Washington state hwy 20 before. That's why I'm asking.

I'm also thinking of finding a campground so we can explore the Northern Cascades for a few days. Not sure where to stay though. We'd have to find some place with hookups that can accommodate our 34 ft trailer.

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/18 07:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WA SR 20 is a beautiful highway through the Cascades. Leaving out of Winthrop there is a couple Forest Service campgrounds. They maybe tight for your rig.
There is a very steep climb to the top of Wshington Pass. You should have no problem with you rig. Take your time and shift down. At the top is look out to Liberty mountain.
Next section to Rainy Pass is just a little down and then up again. No biggie!

From there west you will find a good but twisty in places two lane highway.Once reaching the Ross Lake Rc. Area there is a great campground at Thunder Arm.

The highway then drops down into Newhalem a Seattle City light town below the dam. West of town is another good campground.

Marblemount is the next town.
It has fuel.
You need to make sure you top off fuel in Winthrop as there is limited fuel along the route. Mazama might, but I do not remember any.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Tom/Barb

Oak Harbor, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/08/18 07:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Diablo down to Newhalem keep the speed down, it is crooked, and a good drop. but we do it every year. no problems.

2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JK toad.

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/18 09:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You will have no problem at all and that's a beautiful drive.
Do watch your speed through Newhalem though (the area comes up suddenly). The popo have nothing else to do there and they are merciless about giving tickets.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins (lightly bombed),
2018 Silver Fox 32A - many mods to come!
H0NDA eu2000i

paulj

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/18 11:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I haven't paid attention to private campgrounds in this area. There is a state park near Winthrop that may have hookups, but it tends to be busy and reserved in the summer. Next state park is out of the mountains (Raser).

The closest NF campground to Washington Pass is Lone Fir, which I've used several times. But the sites and loop road may be tight for a big RV. The Nat Park campgrounds are on the other side, Colonial Creek, and around Newhalem. Hookups, if anything, are limited.

Lone Fir and Colonial Creek are best for access to the trails. A couple of trails leave from CC itself.

* This post was edited 06/08/18 11:44am by paulj *

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/18 12:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The state park near Winthrop is Pearrygin Lake
It gets very busy during the summer.
There is some commercial parks around Winthrop.

Tom/Barb

Oak Harbor, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/08/18 12:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would much rather use 20 than 2 any day.

When you transit south on 97 from the border you start west on 20 at Okanogan, from there up into Loup Loup pass the road is a bit twisty up hill, but only for a short distance, the let down out of Loup Loup pass is easy and really good road into Twisp. 2 miles east of Twisp there is a stop sign at the bottom of the hill and a right hand turn to stay on 20. Twisp is the place to fuel up, and stock up on supplies at the Red Apple market, there really isn't much between there and Burlington.
The next attention getter is the river bridge in Winthrop. The west end of the bridge is a pretty sharp corner swing it wide. And enjoy Winthrop, there is great parking at the Red barn west end of town and a short walk back to main street. West out of Winthrop is the best part of the highway, gently rolling hills and curves and gentle grade all the way into Mazama, then the climb starts, 6-7 miles west of Mazama you'll be on the major pull of the highway with 1 wide sweeping switch back that places you on the side of the mountain, with a Oh My God view of the Methow Valley you just came thru. at the top of the pass there is a pullout and an over look. it's a must for pictures.
Out of the pass to the west there is a 5mile 5% down grade, don't smoke your brakes, then a short climb into Rainey pass, then a long 5-7 miles down grade but keep your speed down, there's no sharp turns for a while, then another down grade with a couple twisty spots, then no big deal until you get to the Diablo over look, Another must for pictures.
Then it is down hill again with a 90 degree turn onto Diablo lake bridge, then a little up hill pull and down again and a couple curves that are a slow speed curves, then it's middle river lake, another bridge, a slight up hill then the last slow going on a down grade with curves, then Newhalem, from there it is just a 2 lane highway to Burlington with Marblemount, and Concrete as speed traps.
Have fun it really is an enjoyable trip, just keep the speed down, don't smoke your brakes, take lots of Pictures.
On Thursdays the Seattle city light tour is a must do. (Newhalem) Boat trip on lake Diablo, power house tour, and a big feed/dinner camp style.
One more thing, going to Bellingham take Cook road off the second round about in Sedro-wooley to I 5, north. and save the Burlington traffic, the 20 to I5 intersection is a mess, even worse with a big rig.

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/18 12:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If your looking for a CG on 20, Rasar State park is gorgeous. All the roads and sites are paved and the facility is second to none.
You WILL need reservations though.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Washington state hwy 20 from Okanagan to Mt Vernon
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS