cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

August Crowds?

Honeybee8888
Explorer
Explorer
I'm planning our trip for August this year (can't go in September as we have in the past.) Can anyone share, have you been to big touristy places (specifically Yellowstone NP) in August, and if so, is it 1) brutally crowded and 2) very hot? Also, what about northern California-- such as Shasta and Lassen? We have more than a month and want to spend it out west, but I'm hoping to avoid the heat a little bit, and I'm worried about the crowds-- we tend to travel without advance reservations. Northern California is still on my "to visit" list; we had a fabulous time in Yellowstone in September without any problems camping, but I'm worried August is more of a problem. Don't need hookups, so any advice would be appreciated. And also any less well-known destinations!

Thanks--
Debbie
Me and my Hubby (empty-nesters)
Cassie, our Golden Retriever/Collie lap dog
Samantha, a 2002 28' Jayco Eagle Class C
23 REPLIES 23

Kavoom
Explorer
Explorer
kerrlakeRoo wrote:
How about Banff, and Jasper? Maybe a trans Canada park tour.

I'd recommend Peter Lougheed Albertan Provincial Park, but it is already booked for the water/power sites. They have a 90 day window on the campsites and each day they open at midnight on their website. I got up on the morning of the day the sites open 90 days out and got the VERY LAST water power site available in Boulton Creek campground.

Don't even try the sites down in the Bow Valley. But then again, you don't need to. Imagine Glacier NP. Pretty much and no one knows it, but Glacier is the southern end of the same geography all the way up to the Banff Jasper area. And Peter Lougheed is like the hidden gem of the whole thing. They did some development about forty years ago (one area) and then voted to not allow anymore development. It is wonderful and the Albertans know how to do a park right.

Range_Maggot_Bo
Explorer
Explorer
Honeybee8888 wrote:
Thanks to those of you with the positive responses. For those of you who think I'm a year too late, or crazy to travel without reservations-- oh well. I suppose you think I'll have more fun in New Jersey in August? Ever seen the crowds at the Jersey Shore?

Toedtoes-- I'm with you! A bad day in a crowded park in August beats staying home any time of year! As long as we are in our RV, we are happy people.

Sounds like you certainly have the right attitude! Good luck and have a blast!

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
Honeybee8888 wrote:
Busskipper,

Thanks for the detailed itinerary! We too love Colorado, and were at Turquoise Lake just last June! We also were in Ouray in, I think, 2015 and drove the Million Dollar Highway. We also camped at a NFS campground (Big Cimarron Campground; no hookups)-- on August 31, we and our friends were literally the only people there, and it cooled down a LOT at night! You are right, it's a fantastic destination, and may just be our alternative plan. I am going to plug in some of your suggestions and see how it all works out.

Thanks so much for your thoughts.
Debbie

In addition to Bill's suggestions for Colorado, somewhere along the way, if you haven't already, you could take a detour to the quiet side of Rocky Mountain National Park -- the WEST side. Entrance outside of Grand Lake, there's Timber Creek CG not too far in to the park, it's all first come/first served. Every time I've been over there, on weekend trips, it's never been completely full, there's always open sites. They cater more to the tent camper and popup folks, but I've seen some class A and C rigs there as well. The sites can be a it tight for bigger rigs, but you should be fine with the size of the rig in your siggy.

As an alternative, there's also multiple places to stay around Lake Granby/Grand Lake/Shadow Mountain Lake. Arapaho National Forest, there's a half dozen places to stay. H E R E - Grand Lake Area is the website for ANF. Stillwater, Green Ridge and Arapaho Bay are all spectacular places to stay, views of the lake and mountains from most sites.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
Yellowstone in August? Good luck finding a place to stay within a hundred miles.

OP says they don't need hookups. There's all kinds of dispersed camping options on public land outside the park boundary.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

derouen6
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
Here are visitation stats for Yellowstone for various years/months:

http://www.yellowstone.co/stats.htm

Thanks great info.

katleman
Explorer
Explorer
I've done Yellowstone three times now in August, including the eclipse frenzy last year. The other two visits were on the spur of the moment.

Since you're not a slave to hookups, you shouldn't have much of a problem at all. Just find a one night reservation at any campground in the park, say Madison. Leave your campground at 6am and head to one of the first come, first served campgrounds like Norris. Find a site folks are packing up at, and bingo, you're set for the rest of your stay.

As to crowds, yes it's busier in August than June or September. Just get up early, see the sights, then settle in somewhere for the afternoon. Follow that advice, you'll be fine. I used to avoid August because of all the stories about crowds. Still prefer June/September, but given the choice of going to Yellowstone in August or not at all that year, I'd rather be in Yellowstone.
Visted via RV

clikrf8
Explorer
Explorer
Idaho and Western Montana and Western Wyoming. Off the beaten path. Or, Northern Utah. Anywhere with altitude.
2008 Ford F250 SuperDuty 4x4 Off Road Pkg Diesel Ranch Hand Sport Ride Right airbags
2013 Hallmark Ute LX
Toller Mousse: Chocolate Standard Poodle cross
Blitzen: Black Standard Poodle
Photography Website
Photography Blog

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Honeybee8888 wrote:
Busskipper,

Thanks for the detailed itinerary! We too love Colorado, and were at Turquoise Lake just last June! We also were in Ouray in, I think, 2015 and drove the Million Dollar Highway. We also camped at a NFS campground (Big Cimarron Campground; no hookups)-- on August 31, we and our friends were literally the only people there, and it cooled down a LOT at night! You are right, it's a fantastic destination, and may just be our alternative plan. I am going to plug in some of your suggestions and see how it all works out.

Debbie

Big Cimarron, I'll bet was GREAT, so you know the area, just need to have someone push you back. ๐Ÿ™‚

First half of August will be more crowded but the kids head back to school in Mid August so things tend lighten up during the week in Colorado.

Think you might just Love Lake City and the Surrounds, Quiet - Cool - Beautiful.

Hope I helped "Push" you back to the Colorado I Love.

Let us know what you decided.

Best of Luck,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

Honeybee8888
Explorer
Explorer
Busskipper,

Debbie

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you get going in the AM. you can avoid quite a bit of crowding. The line in West Yellowstone usually starts to back up at 9:30 AM. For some reason people have trouble getting their butts on the road early and not hanging out in the Three Bear Pancake joint for breakfast.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
We were in YNP last year in early August. Crowds weren't too bad. But you have to book at least a year in advance!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Honeybee8888 wrote:
I'm planning our trip for August this year (can't go in September as we have in the past.)

Can anyone share, have you been to big touristy places (specifically Yellowstone NP) in August, and if so, is it

1) brutally crowded and

2) very hot?

Also, what about northern California-- such as Shasta and Lassen?

We have more than a month and want to spend it out west, but

I'm hoping to avoid the heat a little bit, and I'm worried about the crowds--

we tend to travel without advance reservations.
we tend to travel without advance reservations.

Northern California is still on my "to visit" list;

we had a fabulous time in Yellowstone in September without any problems camping, but

I'm worried August is more of a problem.

Don't need hookups, so any advice would be appreciated.

And also any less well-known destinations!

Thanks--
Debbie

Debbie, et all,

Key to this is the fact that you Don't Need Hook Ups. If you can Boondock you can go anytime.

If crowds are an Issue then lets go where they aren't - which means we/you need to find something close to but just not in a National Park - IMO - close can be near distance wise or Near in Beauty wise, so let's think a little about what you like.

If you have ever read anything I've posted you might notice I'm partial to Colorado - For you I'll suggest - Planning on a direct drive from NJ to Golden, couple options, Clear Creek or Jeffco Park - really not critical whereas we will only stop to catch your breath after the long drive from Jersey. I will continue to suggest that you do the I's to Hannibal. MO and then try RT 36 to Denver - good road and is not as crowded with cars or trucks.

If you are really a go getter this will take at least 4 days (So we have now burned 8 days of your 30 = 22 left)

With 22 days you will have time to enjoy Colorado - which IMHO is as good as Yellowstone - just not as crowded and much more diverse - not to mention Large.

The State Park system in Colorado tends to be Filled on the reservation schedule ......but if you are persistent (Call or ask) you will usually find something that will work if needed.

Elevation is Key to Cooler weather, in Colorado and once in the mountains it may get into the 80's when the sun is out but will be cool and crisp when the sun sets.

Back to your trip (Or my suggestions for your trip) - out of Golden take RT 6 - it follows Clear Creek to Eisenhower tunnel - we will go from Golden to Idaho Springs - MAP - now when you get onto I-70 you are in the West, you are now in the Real Rockies.

From here I'll suggest I-70 to RT 91 to Leadville - 10,000 feet and cool - sights - trails - lakes - Camps.......let's find something that works for you - Turquoise Lake - Camp Hale - check with the locals for boondocking locations - but it's cool and you will need a sweater at night.(3-5 nights)

From there - Twin Lakes or Buena Vista/Collegiates - Just more Beauty of Colorado - Browns Canyon NM - Independence Pass in the TV or Toad as it is length restricted - Devils Punch Bowl - Twin Lakes - Independence Pass - Maroon Bells - Aspen .......(3-5) nights and you will need to plan to come back to see it all later, never enough time.

Now if we can pull you away we'll start towards the San Juan's - Ouray - Silverton - Telluride - Lake City - Ridgway - Once you get HERE you will need to plan as there is truly a lifetime of Places to visit.

Silverton is Heaven - Ouray is the Alps of Colorado - Telluride is the new Aspen - Trout Lake, Dunton, Lizard Head is a whole new world - 4x4 trails that never stop - sights and places you never imagined you could ever see or visit. Lake City is like stepping back in time...........you have arrived this is where you want to be, now and for a long time if you love the Rockies, IMHO this is as good as it Gets. (5-10 days)

Hopefully you will be the only one who reads this (LOL) as this is as Good as it Gets, if you have a 4x4 you may never leave, or this might be the only place you want to go. The trails are Epic, as are the sights - the Alpine flowers usually are in bloom in the fields in August so if need rent a 4X4 for a few trips.

Well I think I may have gotten a little carried away, but I Love Colorado, and if you have some adventure in your blood this might just work for you.

Hope this is of some help,

edit - Link to an older post - just more on Colorado

edit#2 - Colorado Images, Stan Parker
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Here are visitation stats for Yellowstone for various years/months:

http://www.yellowstone.co/stats.htm
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Honeybee8888
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to those of you with the positive responses. For those of you who think I'm a year too late, or crazy to travel without reservations-- oh well. I suppose you think I'll have more fun in New Jersey in August? Ever seen the crowds at the Jersey Shore?

Toedtoes-- I'm with you! A bad day in a crowded park in August beats staying home any time of year! As long as we are in our RV, we are happy people.