Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: A/C Ducting - I'm going in...
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

> A/C Ducting - I'm going in...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
F4Jock

Sweet Valley, PA

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/18 06:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was amazed at how cheaply you can get a decent borescope on Amazon. Definitely my next purchase!

Patti, Jack, our GSD Gunner the Wonder Dog and our multtude of cats.
1998 National Tropi-Cal on a 1997 Ford F53 chassis with 460 Ford power.

10forty2

North Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/10/18 12:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Soooo, good news is, the borescope shows that the ducts are clean/clear of any blockages.....the bad news is, the borescope helped me see that the front 15K A/C unit has in fact partially lost its seals and a lot of the forced air is simply recirculating back through the intake instead of being forced into the ducts. The coil also froze up very nicely, I suspect either from a bad freeze sensor, or from the fact that the cold air was directly circulating back through the coils. Headed to Lowe's in a few minutes to get some aluminized duct tape and reseal everything.....then keep a check on it.......

Sorry no pictures...nothing to show.... BUT....... More to come once I seal it back up.....

1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------

2 many 2

USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/18 12:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the update, glad it is an easy fix. Got a link to that bore scope?

stugpanzer

Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/10/18 07:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good find and great idea on the Borescope!

2006 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37C
Mods: EEZRV Products TPMS, Cobra 29LX 50th Anniversary CB radio with Firestik NGP Antenna, Self contained sewer hose

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/18 08:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Endoscope aka bore scope

Radiate The Happy

Connected using Verizon and AT&T
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Dale.Traveling

Newport News, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/11/18 04:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just so everyone knows about the low cost borescopes they are very flexible so you can't push them into a tight area you're trying to view. A bit like pushing rope uphill. You'll need a wire snake or something to that effect that you can attach the lens end to that will make it a bit more functional. I have one. Don't use it all that much but when it was needed it made a project a lot easier.

2006 Hurricane 31D

10forty2

North Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/11/18 04:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dale.Traveling wrote:

Just so everyone knows about the low cost borescopes they are very flexible so you can't push them into a tight area you're trying to view. A bit like pushing rope uphill. You'll need a wire snake or something to that effect that you can attach the lens end to that will make it a bit more functional. I have one. Don't use it all that much but when it was needed it made a project a lot easier.

The one I bought has a semi-rigid design, so it was no problem pushing it through the duct work. It connects via a small Wi-Fi signal to Android, iPhone, or iPad. It also has a dimmable LED light around the camera that does a really good job. Focal length is somewhat problematic, but not a deal breaker at all...you just ahve to know to pull back a little to get something in focus. Here's a link to the Depstech model I got:

Depstech Borescope

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/18 06:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A simple way to check your ductwork. Remove all the ceiling vents. Lets say there are 8 ceiling vents. You install a small light in the 2nd ceiling duct facing the 1st duct. You then use a small mirror and stick it up the 1st duct facing the 2nd duct. You will have a clear view of the ductwork between 1 and 2. You then repeat the process for the other ducts. Takes about 10 minutes and you do NOT have to buy any scoping equipment. Doug

10forty2

North Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/11/18 06:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dougrainer wrote:

A simple way to check your ductwork. Remove all the ceiling vents. Lets say there are 8 ceiling vents. You install a small light in the 2nd ceiling duct facing the 1st duct. You then use a small mirror and stick it up the 1st duct facing the 2nd duct. You will have a clear view of the ductwork between 1 and 2. You then repeat the process for the other ducts. Takes about 10 minutes and you do NOT have to buy any scoping equipment. Doug

Yeah, yeah... but where's the fun in that? [emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

> A/C Ducting - I'm going in...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS