cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Verizon over 55 unlimited data special Florida only

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
My iPhone 6S battery is dieing so I started shopping and switched to Verizon as they are doing BOGO iPhone 8s and unlimited data for over 55 people for $90/mo two people. $40/mo savings.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.
13 REPLIES 13

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
We don't get coverage on the beach with T Mobile with our smartphones, but my daughter has a flip phone and it works fine at the beach. A nice lady Uber'ed us up to Newport from Florence, and said use the flip phone to text cause it will work and the smart phones won't. Sure enough, I tried with the smartphones no go, the flip phone went right through. The reason she explained was that the system was originally set up for flip phones and only need a single tower, while a smartphone requires 2 towers. My daughter uses Ting at 5 bucks per month plus per minute use. The bill is usually 8 bucks a month cause she makes no calls really. The point is you could get on a very inexpensive smartphone plan and add a Flip phone for next to nothing for those low coverage area's and still save compared to higher cost plans. Just a thought.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
I did some more research on this because it's of interest to us. Presently we're on Cricket (ATT). The coverage is good, and Canada is covered, which is essential for us. What we've been seeing with Cricket though, is slowdowns and it appears that we're being slowed down when the network is busy. Looking at the Cricket plans, it appears as if VZ and ATT have the same stategy; there's unlimited (but low priority) plans, and there are "unlimited plus" or "beyondunlimited" (VZ) where you pay even more to avoid being slowed when the network is busy.

Reading the fine print on VZ the Beyondunlimited plan is only subject to congestion management after 22 GB, while the Gounlimited plan offered to seniors is subject to congestion management all the time. Additionally the Gounlimited plan is limited to 600Kbps on mobile hotspot use. Roaming in MX or CA is $5 per day on the Go plan; included in the Beyond plan.

At this time we'll stay with T. I would like to get away from congestion management and being a second priority customer, and the Beyond plan at VZ is $160 for two lines. Plus taxes and fees.

On Cricket we can go to the Unlimited Max which is 22G before congestion management and that's $100 for two lines. The biggest downside with Cricket is the hard cap on hotspot speeds after 10G, which is 128k. That's the same as no service at all for most uses. But I can afford some extra gigs on occasion with the net difference of around $80 per month taking taxes into account (Cricket prices are after tax, VZ prices are pre-tax).

For those who want the Verizon coverage, and don't have concerns about limited bandwidth, the Verizon offer is a good one IMO.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

djsamuel
Nomad
Nomad
Ductape wrote:
I can't find it on their website, anyone got a link? What's all the fine print that limits the "unlimited" have to say? For that price I might switch.

Verizon 55 Plus

My wife and I have had it a few months. Great at $40 a line.

2013 Camplite 21BHS Trailer, Ram 1500 Tow Vehicle

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
Last time this came up I told me sister about it who lives in florida, she called and they changed her to this plan and is now unlimited and saved some money as well.

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
I switched to the T-Mobile plan and I have been very happy. The coverage is likely less than Verizon but so far we have not found that to be an issue as we generally travel major roads and fairly close to cities (mostly smaller).
We are near the Central CA coast and we have a weak signal where we are parked. No concern with voice but obviously reduced speeds surfing on the phone. We are working 18 miles S. of where we are parked and the speeds there are in the 20-30Mb up and 50-70Mb down. We had similar results when we had Verizon (15ish years) but our bill is now $70 with unlimited data vs. $130 for only 4Gb with Verizon.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
gafidler wrote:
T mobil 55 + 2 lines for $60 Total ,unlimited Talk, text, data

It's now $70/month. You can also add 10Gb of hotspot for $10/month or $25/month for truly unlimited unlimited hotspot unlike Verizon's 25Gb limited unlimited.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
gafidler wrote:

It's now $70/month. You can also add 10Gb of hotspot for $10/month or $25/month for truly unlimited unlimited hotspot unlike Verizon's 25Gb limited unlimited.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
gafidler wrote:

How is the coverage? Everyone says that Verizon is best.

I had ATT and coverage was ok but a few times I would have 0-1 bar and the person next me had 1-2 bars with V.

I mostly switched because I needed a new phone and it peeved me off that ATT was doing bogo for new customers but not existing, forcing me to switch.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ductape wrote:
I can't find it on their website, anyone got a link? What's all the fine print that limits the "unlimited" have to say? For that price I might switch.

The agent on the phone told me about it. Itโ€™s a FLORIDA only deal so probably wouldnโ€™t be on their website. It was on the door at the store when I picked up the phones.

BTW if you buy directly from the Verizon 800 number they can waive the activation fee.
The store canโ€™t.

gafidler
Explorer
Explorer

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for pointing that out. It didn t come up as there are only two of us.

What always irked me was that Two lines was $130 while 4 lines were $160.

jk31668
Explorer
Explorer
i was told only good if you have max 2 devices. 3 or more, no discounts