cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Back up camera

Npdchief07
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought a new travel trailer and have pick up Wednesday. They offered a back up camera installed for 649.00. Is it helpful to have one?
22 REPLIES 22

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
RCMAN46 wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
RCMAN46 wrote:
As for the backup camera. If it can be used full time yes.

I have a camera on the back of my trailer and after you have towed with one it is much like power steering and power brakes I would never have a car or truck without power steering or power brakes.

do they even sell consumer vehicles without power steering and power brakes anymore?
bumpy

If they do would you buy one??

nope
bumpy

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
RCMAN46 wrote:

I have a camera on the back of my trailer and after you have towed with one it is much like power steering and power brakes I would never have a car or truck without power steering or power brakes.

do they even sell consumer vehicles without power steering and power brakes anymore?
bumpy

If they do would you buy one??

badsix
Explorer
Explorer
650 is to much. I just put one on my wife's Honda and it was only a hair over 100.00 and works great.it was hard wired I don't know why you couldn't add another wire i'm also going to put one on my 27' T/T and hard wire it to my in dash Kenwood navigation system. Kenwood has a camera with a 30' cord that will get me to the hitch then another cord to the receiver then I can unplug at the hitch.I would like to try a wireless and use a repeater. I have one on my TPMS, but it works with or without so I don't know if its beneficial. I can unhook from the trailer and be 80' or so from it and they still work.
Jay D.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
RCMAN46 wrote:

bumpy

Glenda2014
Explorer
Explorer
I bought one at Pep boys for about $150. The camera has a magnet on it so can go on truck or trailer bumper.....monitor plugs into cigarette lighter.....it's wireless. Works great!
2016 Creekside 20
Chevy Silverado 1/2 ton

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer

JCR-1
Explorer
Explorer
Waste of money.. Most have a wide angle view and everything is highly distorted. Perspectives will be off in reality.I have one and never use it ..waste of time.. I just use my side mirrors when driving and get out to see where I am backing.

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
campinia wrote:
We just bought a new TT a few months ago at a show and the show deal included a Furrion camera that they normally sell for $350. The TT was prewired. I would have never thought about buying a back-up camera, but, I have used it quite a lot and really like it. I don't think I would spend $650 for it, but, I would probably spend $200 to $300 and install it myself, knowing now how much I use it, even with my wife guiding me in spots most of the time.

Good luck.....purchased the Furrion setup back in 2016 for our 17 Rockwood which had the bracket installed OEM. It worked great for two years. This season for some reason the lens deteriorated, now the once crystal clear video is fuzzy. No parts are availiable as the that particular model which was $350 on Amazon, the FOS 48, is discontinued despite still being sold. Furrions solution, after 2 weeks spent trying to contact them, was to buy their new system which goes for close to $500. Warranty expired, too bad, oh well. I just wanted to buy a replacement camera. I had thought I finally had found 1 thing associated with LCI that was decent..nope.

Furrion is a partner of Lippert and that should tell you all you need to know, and distributes junk. Interestingly the 17 Rockwood came with a 32" Furrion TV. It had the worst picture ever seen on an LCD TV and was instantly replaced with a Samsung and relegated to the basement rumpus room. Seldom used and died in two years....more junk.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

lily123456
Explorer
Explorer
Personnally speaking,their price is a little expensive.Actually you can buy a backup camera that is easy to install.You can save on the cost of the installation if you install by yourself.Haloview backup camera is easy to install.And the price is cheap and affordable.720P high resolution,4 IR LEDs enable night vision up to 32ft,wireless camera IP69K waterproof level,smart IR-CUT filter makes image more realistic.Maybe you can try it.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
sgfrye wrote:
johntinacamping wrote:
Is it helpful to have one? Yes. Is $649 a ripoff? Yes again. I installed one on my travel trailer for $50. Take a look at this video for the install I did, but mine is permanently attached to the outside rear of the camper, at the crest of the roof: DIY Travel Trailer Rear View Camera

X2.

Way overpriced

X3 seems like a rip off to me.

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
johntinacamping wrote:
Is it helpful to have one? Yes. Is $649 a ripoff? Yes again. I installed one on my travel trailer for $50. Take a look at this video for the install I did, but mine is permanently attached to the outside rear of the camper, at the crest of the roof: DIY Travel Trailer Rear View Camera

X2.

Way overpriced

Jimmygator
Explorer
Explorer
I just added a Furrion Vision 2 FOS48TA-BL to my TT, it came pre-wired with the mount pre-installed. I was either gonna add mirrors or get the camera. The camera won. The Furrion Vision 2 FOS48TAPK-BL is the full kit w/mount and wiring.

campinia
Explorer
Explorer
We just bought a new TT a few months ago at a show and the show deal included a Furrion camera that they normally sell for $350. The TT was prewired. I would have never thought about buying a back-up camera, but, I have used it quite a lot and really like it. I don't think I would spend $650 for it, but, I would probably spend $200 to $300 and install it myself, knowing now how much I use it, even with my wife guiding me in spots most of the time.
2017 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab LT 2500HD Z71 4X4 6.0 Gasser
2018 Keystone Passport Ultra Light 175BH
Champion 3100W Inverter Generator
2018 Pescador Pro 10 Fishing Kayak
2018 Old Town Topwater 106 Fishing Kayak

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Are you new to TTs & towing or be alone or with a copilot? I would say a shorter TT (like around 20') can get by without a camera but longer around 30' and up a camera may help some folks. $649 seems pretty pricey. RV backup cameras can't all be alike. Have you looked at any reviews? Our wireless Garmin camera image is rather grainy and weak for ex.

I do 100% of the towing (DW has had vertigo issues for a long time). Being as she's never used the truck, she thought everyone would struggle backing up and nothing would do but I had to install a camera for our Garmin GPS. No easy task running the wiring concealed front to back either. I don't like it and don't need it. One thing it can't do is tell you what the distance is from back of TT to objects or end of road surfaces and you need to get out and look to be certain. The camera in our Subaru has a couple of lines on the display to tell you when to stop. Not sure if various backup cameras for RVs are different in this. What would be nice to me is not having the camera image on the GPS and on a separate screen so you can see what's behind you while travelling.

Most of the time DW is with me and when backing into a site, she uses hand signals to guide me in. Works extremely well and waay better than a camera. Took a long time to train her to get the signals correct and consistent tho., lol...