Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Back up camera
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Back up camera

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Npdchief07

Hamilton, Oh

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/18 12:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just bought a new travel trailer and have pick up Wednesday. They offered a back up camera installed for 649.00. Is it helpful to have one?

DutchmenSport

Between Anderson, Pendleton, & Lapel, Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/08/18 12:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is it a wireless system or is it a wired system? If wireless, what is the distance from the rear of the trailer to the dashboard of the tow vehicle. Unless technology has improved, one reason wireless back-up cameras never worked well for travel trailers is because the signal distance is not far enough to reach end of trailer to tow vehicle dash. That's why I never got a system, and hard wiring was something I never wanted to deal with. Find that answer first and then consider what your are spending your money on.

As far as being helpful? Absolutely! Anything to help view behind is a help!

DutchmenSport

2019 Montana High Country 375FL Fifth Wheel
2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax Dually

2 Dachshunds, 1 cat, 2 even older folks now, but still lots of love!

The new Montana is now officially, "The Love Shack 2"

bgum

South Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/18 12:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CampingWorld has them on sale now for 350. Made by Voyager which is one of the best. Easy to install just tap into running lights on back. Screen plugs into 12 in tow v. You can do a lot of installing for 300 + tax.

johntinacamping

Home

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/08/18 12:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is it helpful to have one? Yes. Is $649 a ripoff? Yes again. I installed one on my travel trailer for $50. Take a look at this video for the install I did, but mine is permanently attached to the outside rear of the camper, at the crest of the roof: DIY Travel Trailer Rear View Camera

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/18 12:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

what is the size? the one on my highlander is too small. one on tacoma is great. there are not for RV towing however. price is too high, should be easy to run wiring external to the TT bottom.

bumpy

2edgesword

New York

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/08/18 12:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If your trailer is back-up camera ready (on the back of the trailer there will be a mounting bracket and the trailer is pre-wired to power the camera) then the $649 is about $300 higher then the cost on Amazon. If it's back-up camera ready the installation is very easy.

If they have to install a mounting bracket and tap into the trailer wiring to make the trailer camera ready, and you don't want to mess with cutting into your new trailer to do this yourself, then the $649 seems reasonable IMHO.

SoundGuy

S Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/18 12:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Npdchief07 wrote:

I just bought a new travel trailer and have pick up Wednesday. They offered a back up camera installed for 649.00. Is it helpful to have one?

What would be helpful is if you told us just which trailer you're buying and what the make / model of camera is, the reason being that some trailer manufacturers are now delivering some of their trailer models already prewired for specific camera systems, Furrion being one of them. Whether the trailer is prewired or not obviously then has a bearing on whether the cost is reasonable for the benefit of being able to see behind the trailer.

jfkmk

NJ

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/18 03:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had one installed on my new camper. Surprisingly it was the same price as on Amazon and they installed it. I find it pretty useful for seeing my spotter as I back up as well as I keep it on while traveling.

650 sounds a bit high though.

tdiller

usa

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/18 08:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Npdchief07 wrote:

Depends on the brand. My trailer came with a furrion plate on the back. The furrion model comes with a smallish 3 or 5 inch monitor. I opted for a system from Tadi brothers with a seven inch monitor and a longer (stronger) wireless connection. Just got back from a 2,000 mile trip and I would not be without an observation camera ever again on a trailer. More so for looking for what may be behind you when you go to change lanes.

myredracer

Langley B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/18 09:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Are you new to TTs & towing or be alone or with a copilot? I would say a shorter TT (like around 20') can get by without a camera but longer around 30' and up a camera may help some folks. $649 seems pretty pricey. RV backup cameras can't all be alike. Have you looked at any reviews? Our wireless Garmin camera image is rather grainy and weak for ex.

I do 100% of the towing (DW has had vertigo issues for a long time). Being as she's never used the truck, she thought everyone would struggle backing up and nothing would do but I had to install a camera for our Garmin GPS. No easy task running the wiring concealed front to back either. I don't like it and don't need it. One thing it can't do is tell you what the distance is from back of TT to objects or end of road surfaces and you need to get out and look to be certain. The camera in our Subaru has a couple of lines on the display to tell you when to stop. Not sure if various backup cameras for RVs are different in this. What would be nice to me is not having the camera image on the GPS and on a separate screen so you can see what's behind you while travelling.

Most of the time DW is with me and when backing into a site, she uses hand signals to guide me in. Works extremely well and waay better than a camera. Took a long time to train her to get the signals correct and consistent tho., lol...

I hate CAPTCHA. CAPTCHA sux. CAPTCHA is evil. CAPTCHA needs fixing.

Gil, Deb & Dougal the Springer Spaniel
2014 KZ Spree 262RKS, Reese DC WDH
2009 F250 super duty, V10, 8' bed, Hawkshead TPMS

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Back up camera
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS