cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Add taillight bulbs or use Plug and Play?

LewTeam
Explorer
Explorer
Recently purchased a 2006 Honda CRV to use as a toad. I am thinking about the possibility of adding taillight bulbs, or, using Plug and Play modules. Has anyone else done either of these on a 2006 CRV? If so, any information on products you used would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
17 REPLIES 17

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
mike brez wrote:
LewTeam wrote:
Thanks, Mike. Leaning here on the plug and play harness, too. I would be interested in how it goes for your situation. Good luck.

Just installed my Hopkins wire kit tonight.
Could not have been any easier. The worse park is running the wire from back up to the front bumper.
On a side note my wrangler has all LED lights and they work/flash normal.
Well worth the $$ to me.

Mike,
What year is your Wrangler? You say it has LED lights, meaning, did you INSTALL them or, is an '18 that comes with LED lights? Normally, if one installs LED bulbs in just about any Wrangler, other than an '18, the flashers can't cope with the less draw and usually perform what's called Hyper-flash or, a fast rate of flashing for turn signals or, 4-ways.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
LewTeam wrote:
Thanks, Mike. Leaning here on the plug and play harness, too. I would be interested in how it goes for your situation. Good luck.

Just installed my Hopkins wire kit tonight.
Could not have been any easier. The worse park is running the wire from back up to the front bumper.
On a side note my wrangler has all LED lights and they work/flash normal.
Well worth the $$ to me.
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
When I did mine 14 years ago if I remember correctly the wiring kit I bought had several diodes and used the existing bulbs on the tow car, and was much easier to install than the base plate. Just make sure you fasten the harness securely to the underside of car and check it one in a while, mine got damaged because of low GC and dirt roads.

LewTeam
Explorer
Explorer
Scott, I like your attitude. We don't have a huge budget for RVing so I am trying to save wherever I can. I think I will google everything I can and see if I think I can tackle this. Probably have to buy a couple of tools but that beats $300 for a professional to do it. I'll let everyone know how it turns out. Thanks again for your positive comments.

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
LewTeam wrote:
Hi, everyone. I am back. I am a bit disappointed because I called Hopkins this afternoon and the person told me they don't have a plug and play that will fit a 2006 CRV. Gottem for '07 - '14, but not '06 and under. Bummer. They said I could splice the harness into the existing lights but not sure I can do that. May try to get the harness and run it in the car and then take it to a professional to splice. Just don't know at this point.

LewTeam,
Splicing into the factory wiring is not very hard at all. As stated before, I've done it countless times with absolutely ZERO negative effects. But, much of this type of thing all depends on ones skill and experience level. I've been doing this type stuff for decades and decades. It's all old hat to me. But, if you're not sure if you want to tackle this sort of thing, well, I'd bet dollars to donuts that you could find a friend who's got the talent/skills/experience that would help you out in this situation.

Even doing it the harder way, which I did forever by utilizing Radio Shack diodes for $3.50 a pack for 4 of them, (only used two per car) it would take me from start to finish, completed wiring and plug up front for towing, about 1/2 to 3/4 of a day. They ALWAYS worked perfectly, for a measly amount.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
KI60ND

LewTeam
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, everyone. I am back. I am a bit disappointed because I called Hopkins this afternoon and the person told me they don't have a plug and play that will fit a 2006 CRV. Gottem for '07 - '14, but not '06 and under. Bummer. They said I could splice the harness into the existing lights but not sure I can do that. May try to get the harness and run it in the car and then take it to a professional to splice. Just don't know at this point.

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
LewTeam wrote:
Thanks everyone for your comments. All were appreciated and helpful. I begin installing my baseplate tomorrow and when I get everything completed I will place an update on here. Thanks again and happy camping to all.

LewTeam,
Well Sir, we had an '11 CRV that we used as a toad for about a year and, contrary to popular belief, tying into it's wiring for toad lights is NOT going to cause the CRV to GO UP IN FLAMES like some think. I did it with regular Radio Shack diodes, at a cost of about $3.00, DONE! And by doing it that way, the CRVs tail lights, INCLUDING THE AMBER TURN SIGNALS, acted the same EXACT way when towing it, as the did when driving it. I drew up a very simple wiring diagram and many have used it on here and other RV forums.

But, some folks are not into that sort of stuff and would rather just install a commercial wiring harness. I don't blame them, it's a simple solution too. But either mine or that way is by far, a better solution than adding bulbs. The reason I state that is, the manufacturer, HONDA in this case, designed those light housings for maximum effect of the existing bulbs by having the reflective rear housings positioned correctly.

But, adding an auxiliary bulb is not in the correct position for maximum effect. Will it light up, of course it will but, will it be as effective in all lighting conditions, (i.e. with the sun at your back in traffic conditions) well, not in my book. So this is why I did and do what I do, and that's to utilize the factory bulbs. I've done it dozens of times in multiple toads and not one has ever gone up in flames 'cause we tied into the factory wiring.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
KI60ND

want-a-be
Explorer
Explorer
I used a roadmaster base plate on our CR-V and got on the internet and found a Video that showed me step by step. On our CR-V I had to drill bigger holes for the bolts, just a little tip start out with small bits and work your way up to the correct size!
Good Luck

LewTeam
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for your comments. All were appreciated and helpful. I begin installing my baseplate tomorrow and when I get everything completed I will place an update on here. Thanks again and happy camping to all.

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like it should work according to its name. Unplug someplace, plug the P'n'P in, plug what you unplugged into the P'n'P, and should have toad lights.

Essentially a Diode Kit with all the wiring figured out. Same concept as Roadmaster's Diode Kit (or home brew diode installations) but with the wiring figured out. A good tradeoff for we electrically challenged.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
That is the exact harness I purchased. Will be here next week
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
j-d wrote:

I don't know much about Plug'N'Play. I'd guess it connects to OEM wiring and geta diodes in place to isolate toad's system from RV's lighting. If that's what it does, it'll preserve the focus of the OEM lamps.

I am guessing the OP was referring to the old Plug-n-Tow by Tow Daddy. They have been bought out by Hopkins (who makes a LOT of towing accessories) and the product has been renamed Hopkins 56200 Plug-In Simple Towed Vehicle Wiring Kit

Not cheap, but it looks like a very painless installation.

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
We have two vehicles set up as toads. On both, I added Maxxima LED Surface Mounts

On my pickup truck, I made little aluminum brackets to avoid holes in the body. On wife's Corolla (with her permission) I drilled for stainless steel screws. Those lights, those holes, aren't going to change trade/resale on a 2006 with 100,000+ miles.

Much of my reason why, was the RV wasn't supplying enough current to properly light incandescent bulbs.

Separate Bulbs are good because you have zero worries about involvement with toad's electrical system. They won't look as bright as the OEM lights because the OEM bulbs are in a focused position the additional ones won't have.

I don't know much about Plug'N'Play. I'd guess it connects to OEM wiring and geta diodes in place to isolate toad's system from RV's lighting. If that's what it does, it'll preserve the focus of the OEM lamps.

The deluxe route: Cars sold in Europe get different light assemblies. There's another red light where USA has a reflector. They provide a bright red light aft for running in poor visibility. You can wire them for Stop/Tail/Turn and have independent, focused, lamps.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

LewTeam
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, want-a-be. Glad to know the add a bulb works well too. I appreciate the offer to help. I might just need you.