cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lot of newer trailers have fewer windows. Why?

Blue_Warbler
Explorer
Explorer
We're shopping for a small used trailer to take off in. So far those in our price range are selling before we can get to them, but I'm noticing big differences in the pictures. We're seeing ranges from old trailers with windows on 3 sides of a dinette to newer one window on a side dinette and one or no windows across the end

We're wondering about the reasons for this trend and hoping for opinions on plusses and minuses.

Thanks for any input.
34 REPLIES 34

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
The old TTs did not have AC, skylights, microwaves and televisions on the wall are a few reasons that come to mind.

Style might enter the picture also.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

trailer_newbe
Explorer
Explorer
Mine has 11 windows.
2018 Jayco White Hawk 28RL

Fisherman
Explorer
Explorer
soren wrote:
joshuajim wrote:
From a structural standpoint fewer windows means greater shear value from the walls. This COULD result in reducing the main frame.

As a homebuilder, designer and having a bit of engineering knowledge, I would say you are 100% correct, except.........You would pass out if you saw some of the design and construction hidden in trailer walls.

The brochure says, "welded aluminum square tube stud construction" and then you tour the plant, and watch a guy carry a structural side wall from the pile of them to the laminating table. No headers over smaller openings, a "stud" every 36", no backer for the substrate sheet, and a 26' long wall that he is carrying with one hand. The only reason it's not built lighter, and with less material, is that they are simply out of corners to cut. They need something to define the perimeter, and to screw the doors, floor and roof to. The average RV owner is under the misconception that the structure of the rig they own is FAR more substantial that it actually is. They think they own a lunch pail, but they really have a nicely decorated paper bag.

Oh boy, you nailed that, but the nail won't hold. Cardboard box on wheels. I still like my '87 Prowler for that reason.

Blue_Warbler
Explorer
Explorer
Does this mean not a good idea to ride in it while we tool down the road, say to get a start on dinner? Gee, I was kinda counting on that.

;):E

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
soren wrote:
joshuajim wrote:
From a structural standpoint fewer windows means greater shear value from the walls. This COULD result in reducing the main frame.

As a homebuilder, designer and having a bit of engineering knowledge, I would say you are 100% correct, except.........You would pass out if you saw some of the design and construction hidden in trailer walls.

The brochure says, "welded aluminum square tube stud construction" and then you tour the plant, and watch a guy carry a structural side wall from the pile of them to the laminating table. No headers over smaller openings, a "stud" every 36", no backer for the substrate sheet, and a 26' long wall that he is carrying with one hand. The only reason it's not built lighter, and with less material, is that they are simply out of corners to cut. They need something to define the perimeter, and to screw the doors, floor and roof to. The average RV owner is under the misconception that the structure of the rig they own is FAR more substantial that it actually is. They think they own a lunch pail, but they really have a nicely decorated paper bag.

Man if that isn't the truth. I have been trough Jaycos factory in Middlebury, Rockwoods in Millersburg, A few other Forest River plants, Grand Designs plant, and a couple of Keystone plants in Goshen. They're all the same just as you describe. That entire wall is then attached to the frame / floor with nothing more than half a dozen or so 5/16" bolts through the bottom plate, into some 14 gauge stamped outriggers.

Most people, if they had a little construction or engineering knowledge, would never buy one of these POS's if they take one of those factory tours. The best was the Forest River plant we visited that housed a cabinetry shop. They made cabinet frames and doors for multiple divisions. The amount of garbage fiberboard being used was amazing. What is advertised as wood cabinetry is actually wood door panels and styles made from scrap/by product/cutoff hardwood glued back together into boards. The rest, such as the cabinet frame itself is fiberboard laminated with 1/8 plywood, wrapped in vinyl. But hey, its glued and screwed lol.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

soren
Explorer
Explorer
joshuajim wrote:

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
I wish my TT did not have a front window. We haven't opened it at a campground in years. I wouldn't be surprised if dealers get requests for campers with no front window.

This thread is interesting, as not too long ago there was a thread on these forums complaining about front window, and the large majority agreed and hoped that manufacturers would start making campers without front windows.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
BlueridgeCoachmen wrote:
It all boils down to money,, siding is cheaper than windows.
Bingo, A side benefit is it's easier to heat and cool and less chance of water intrusion.

My trailer is like a dang fish bowl. In the bedroom alone it has two 4'x4' and one 4'x2' windows.

BlueridgeCoachm
Explorer
Explorer
It all boils down to money,, siding is cheaper than windows.
2016 Coachmen Catalina 223FB, 26ft // 2016 Ford F150 2WD Super Cab 3.5 EcoBoost Trailer Tow Pkg. 355 eLock rear diff.

Blue_Warbler
Explorer
Explorer
Ah thanks for looking, Georgia Jim, and Normal Dave for the good info. But you know it's is going to benefit any number of people, good deeds traveling farther than some of us ever will, and certainly faster. 🙂

Our little trailer is so SHORT out there in the meadow. It looks so cute.

GeorgiaJim
Explorer
Explorer
normal_dave wrote:
Ok, so this is a different direction, but if it's two of you, you want windows, and great build quality, consider this: A Lazy Daze custom built class C. They look old school, but extremely well built, far and away above anything else class c or otherwise.

Aircraft aluminum shell, riveted panels, top of the line build and appliances, legendary reliability of the Ford V10 E-450 chassis. I'm a trailer fan, but for the money, take a serious look at this compared to what you would get for similar money in a trailer. It'll be gone soon.

2001 Lazy Daze 26.5

Factory:
LazyDaze factory

Another ad with better pictures:
2001 LazyDaze 26.5 mid bath, OK

Great, now I wasted an hour looking on Craigslist...LOL

joshuajim
Explorer
Explorer
RVing since 1995.

Blue_Warbler
Explorer
Explorer
More good info, and thank you, which I hope will benefit others because we're now TT people. 🙂

Our son and DIL, who do live in the city where there are more possibilities, decided we needed help and started shopping for us. (Anyone else's kids start "taking care of" them long before they consider it necessary? And consult with each other before you?)

In any case, we now own one of the newer darker ones, but with more window on the sides than some. No front window for good and bad. A Skyline Nomad, 13.5 foot for the trailer body itself, and my husband was very happy towing home it with our SUV V8, a huge priority. Great floor plan for us--even have kitchen counter and a closet. He took a wrong turn and made a U at a wide spot in the road without even backing once. So, there we are.

Those dark, smoked window panes... Guessing they could be replaced inexpensively, and it'd make a huge difference, though I understand Skyline itself is gone. But next step is to try it out.

avoidcrowds
Explorer
Explorer
"Look at a Lance 1575 Tons of windows and openness! "

The 1575 is not 4-season.

But, that being said, I had a couple TrailManors. They were not 4-season, but I used them in the winter (pheasant season, Nov - Jan). We stayed warm with the furnace running 75% of the time.

I decided to get a 4-season, with other features the TrailManors didn't have. DW likes the added features. BUT, I could buy lots of propane to heat the non-4-season TrailManors, with the added cost of the new trailer!

If you can take the noise of the furnace, and can keep your tanks from freezing (could have, on the TrailManors), you may not need a 4-season trailer to stay comfortable. Save some money that way.
2017.5 Lance 1995
2017 F150 EcoBoost, Max Tow
Most camping off-road