Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tachometer has stopped working Safari Sahara Diesel
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

> Tachometer has stopped working Safari Sahara Diesel

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
clayhubler

La Center, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/18 08:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello all,

Trying to get this coach ready for the season. My tach isn't working on my 1994 Safari Sahara. It has the cummins 5.9 b series engine with an allison 6 speed tranny. There are no other symptoms that I know of, shifts are still at appropriate times, no loss of power, ect...

It was working and then stopped, but it wasn't abrupt. It stopped, then worked off and on for maybe a day, then has stopped completely.

I have checked the connections at the back of the gauge cluster inside the dash, all looks good. I don't know for sure where the tach attaches on my engine. I have done some research and I am thinking it might be the crankshaft position sensor. I located what I thought was the sensor and checked the plug harness, everything looks good there. I pulled the sensor and took it to napa to see if they had a replacement. All the sensors I have found online are for the dodge trucks, and they have three prong connectors. Mine has two prongs. Napa couldn't find one with two prongs either, and so they got my engine serial number and contacted cummins. According to napa, cummins claims my engine doesn't have a crank position sensor???

I'm not totally confident with this assessment from napa. I tried a diesel repair shop over the phone, and they gave me some businesses to try, but they are closed for the weekend.

I'm curious if anybody else has had this problem and also if they know what else I could check. I'm still leaning toward this being a crankshaft sensor issue, but it sounds like the sensors are around $80, so I don't really want to just replace it if that isn't what is causing the tachometer issue.

Any advice is greatly appreciated,
Thanks

1981k20

Edmonton Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/18 09:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Any update on this my friend?? Ours is doing the exact same, same year/ Driveline

1994 Rockwood DP

2013 RZR 800 SxS

MountainAir05

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/18 11:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Friend down the street said if you have the Leece Neville Alternator then it comes off it.

polar76

Oklahoma

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/09/18 01:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 97 Country Coach did that last year. Mine is and 8.3L but may be the same problem.
I took my sensor off the flywheel housing (2 wires) took it to Freightliner and they knew immediately what it was. about a $50-60 dollar part and back in operation.

1997 32' Country Coach Allure
2014 Jeep Sahara

">

1981k20

Edmonton Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/18 05:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Excellent, thank you for the ideas. Will check it out tomorrow and advise

clayhubler

La Center, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/18 07:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've pulled out the sensor again. Going to take it to the cummins dealer on monday to see if they can help me out. Thanks polar76, this is encouraging.

clayhubler

La Center, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/18 08:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

here it is on the engine
[image]
here is what it looks like
[image]

sorry, anybody tell me how to post pics on here??

polar76

Oklahoma

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/10/18 11:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You may have to go to Freightliner, it was considered a chassi part installed after the delivery...

clayhubler

La Center, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/18 11:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My safari has a magnum chassis. I don't now of any magnum service centers. I will know more after visiting the Cummins shop.

wolfe10

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/18 12:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The good news is that Safari/Magnum used "off the shelf" components.

Brett Wolfe
2003 Alpine 38'

FMCA Forum: www.community.fmca.com/index

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

> Tachometer has stopped working Safari Sahara Diesel
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS