Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Upper Peninsula Michigan
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Upper Peninsula Michigan

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
K Mac

Lower Hudson Valley N.Y.

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/18 08:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Plan on being in U.P. late June/early July, would like to hear what you guys like for sightseeing, charter fishing, campgrounds, P.O.I.,and the all important, places to eat, including local desserts.

pulsar

Lewisville, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/09/18 09:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Engineers Day Sault Ste Marie of Friday, June 29.

Tom

SidecarFlip

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/18 10:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Get some Pasties and Smoked Fish too....

2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

SidecarFlip

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/18 10:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Be apprised that some stretches of UP highway have very few gas stations and even fewer services so go prepared and don't let your fuel get too low. Expect to pay for fuel too. Michigan fuel is already high as it is.

I get my gas in Ohio.

SidecarFlip

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/18 10:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Didn't realize you had a TC when I replied earlier. My wife and I go to the UP often with our TC and you can actually overnight camp in turn outs. We do that all the time. Lots of stuff to see and do but don't plan on taking a swim in Lake Superior. It's spring fed and very cold.

You can access the UP via Wisconsin or 75 north across the Mackinaw. Unless you are fearless about heights, do not drive in the center lane when crossing the Mac. The center lane has a grated deck that lets you look through, down into the Straits a couple hundred feet below. We prefer the curb lane. It's a toll bridge btw, based on axles. There is also an intermittent high profile vehicle restriction when the winds are high so if it's a windy day, you might not be allowed to cross until the winds subside but have no fear, plenty of touristy things to do in Mackinaw City at the south end of the bridge.

If you go up 75, expect construction traffic, possible delays, my self, I prefer 23 North to 75. That way you miss most of the traffic.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/18 10:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Beautiful place to visit! Eat some pasties like Sidecar reccomended. It's the food that literally built the mines back in the day.
Keewenaw Pen/Houghton and Hancock, MTU, lake Goegibic, porcupine Mtns, Ontonangan. Endless camping, fishing, hiking, scenery.
It's one of the few places back east I actually miss. The upper Midwest is like stepping back in time...which is why I can't live there, unfortunately. The economy is all but dead in the UP and Northern WI/MN. Sad really. Sold the house back there a couple years ago and don't get back as much anymore.
On the upside the fishing is getting better becasue the population and tourism is dwindling. Still love it though.
Miss the snomachine trips to Munising and pasties and e Claire's from the bakery in Ironwood.
And you could always Drop down into Hurley, WI for a bit. Just don't tell your wife......

03 Arctic Fox 860
07 Dodge 2500 deezul

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/18 06:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Palms Book State Park and Kitch-iti-kipipi "Mirror of Heaven"
Picture Rocks (take the boat ride but dress warm and be prepared for spray)
Miners Castle and Miners Beach
Tahquamenon Falls, Upper and Lower. There are dozens of other smaller water falls but you have to search for them.
I think the Copper mine tours are running again.
Porcupine Mountain, Lake of the Clouds and Mirror Lake.

Service stations are not THAT far apart. Don't let your tank get below 1/4. And do try a pastie !

SidecarFlip

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/18 07:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

theoldwizard1 wrote:

Palms Book State Park and Kitch-iti-kipipi "Mirror of Heaven"
Picture Rocks (take the boat ride but dress warm and be prepared for spray)
Miners Castle and Miners Beach
Tahquamenon Falls, Upper and Lower. There are dozens of other smaller water falls but you have to search for them.
I think the Copper mine tours are running again.
Porcupine Mountain, Lake of the Clouds and Mirror Lake.

Service stations are not THAT far apart. Don't let your tank get below 1/4. And do try a pastie !

and the smoked fish...lol Just south of Mackinaw City there is a smoked fish place where they smoke them in recycled fridges. I guarantee you'll have heartburn....

Problem is, in the yooper, gas stations all close by 8pm.

Don't forget to visit the Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum. I was a fitter on the Fitzgerald way back when... before it sank that is. She was a leaker back then.

standdup

Soldotna, AK, USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/18 10:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great lake trout fishing at Stannard Rock. You can get charters to take out there. Awesome place!

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/18 12:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^ "The wreck of the Edmond Fitzgerald" has been our go to end of the day anthem when we're out boating for years!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Upper Peninsula Michigan
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS