cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Latest WIN 10 Update

DD716TED
Explorer
Explorer
Quick question.. Up until the latest Win 10 update (1803), I was able to share files and attached HD's between home network computers.. After last weeks 1803 update, this function is gone.. other computers don't even show up..Talked to local Computer Guru?? and he said the only way to share now is put data on a cloud?? Before I further pursue this, has anyone else experienced a loss of sharing items/files/hd's on home network with latest Win 10 1803 update?
15 REPLIES 15

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
turbojimmy wrote:
I haven't tried this but it seems to address your problem.

Homegroup Disabled

When I first saw your post I thought it might be related to a problem I was having with a network-attached storage device I was using. The 1803 update disables SMBv1 which they say is a terribly vulnerable file sharing protocol. Unfortunately a lot of older NAS devices, like mine, rely on it. This could also be your problem. I re-enabled it despite the dire warnings not to. Here's more info on that.

SMBv1 Disable/Enable
Your on the right track, but instead of disabling SMBv2, just make sure all computers on the network are on it. v2 can't talk to v1.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

scrubjaysnest
Explorer
Explorer
I don't put my files on some one eleses' server which is basically all the cloud is.
Axis 24.1 class A 500watts solar TS-45CC Trimetric
Very noisy generator :M
2016 Wrangler JK dinghy
โ€œThey who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.โ€ Benjamin Franklin

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
I wonder when I'll receive the update? I'm still on version 1709 on a new HP laptop..
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
FWIW, this is the very first time any W10 update has broken functionality for me but I've always had problems with intermittent LAN connectivity.

harley-dave
Explorer
Explorer
Hate to say it but my Win 10 works perfectly after this last big update. Still see and can access all the other PC's and shares on our home network. Lucky I guess. Maybe it has to do with all the time I spend updating drivers from Dell...

Dave
2005 Winnebago-Itasca Sundancer 31C
2010 Harley-Davidson Soft tail Deluxe
2014 Harley-Davidson Street Glide Special
1999 Chevrolet Tracker 4X4
SKP # 121272

Fulltimers
Explorer
Explorer
I had a problem with intermittent buzz in my audio after the 1803 update. Could not listen to my music anymore. I tried everything and finally rolled back to 1709 and blocked updates.
Fulltimers
Fulltimers Weblog

2003 Rexhall Aerbus 3550BSL
W-22 Workhorse
2005 Saturn Vue (Mr. Toad)
3.5L V6 Automatic

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
DD716TED wrote:
Before I further pursue this, has anyone else experienced a loss of sharing items/files/hd's on home network with latest Win 10 1803 update?

Yep, is hosed my network, had to set it up all over again. My time is worth nothing to these suckers.

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
Always disabled Homegroup provider and listener on all systems unless someone specifically requested it. Resource hog and security risk.

WNMP is another "chatty" network hog.

You should be able to use NET USE for mapping to ip address and share on resource providing computer.

If you want to make it persistent, store your credentials in the vault.

az99
Explorer
Explorer
Another good reason to block updates on 10.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
gee...another reason for me to dump Win 7 for Win 10.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
I never used homegroup but LAN networking stopped too. I'm trying THIS

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't tried this but it seems to address your problem.

Homegroup Disabled

When I first saw your post I thought it might be related to a problem I was having with a network-attached storage device I was using. The 1803 update disables SMBv1 which they say is a terribly vulnerable file sharing protocol. Unfortunately a lot of older NAS devices, like mine, rely on it. This could also be your problem. I re-enabled it despite the dire warnings not to. Here's more info on that.

SMBv1 Disable/Enable
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
FYI. You can no longer disable or remove OneDrive. Perhaps it is related?

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
You're lucky you didn't lose your network altogether. A number of network cards are being killed or even crashing Windows while loading (Wifi mostly) in this latest update.

Part of the problem is old drivers that are no longer compatible. MS provides a number of drivers, but Win 10 upgrade cannot properly remove the old drivers and fails to flag it to download new drivers BEFORE crashing the system.

Interesting you have lost just file sharing. I haven't heard about that yet.