cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2001 bounder diesel

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at a 2001 to purchase. Low miles look good shape.

Please tell me of maintenance problems and upkeep? Any specifics I need to inspect?

Tires etc I'm aware of I need to know maintenance experience and mechanical problems . Engine trans etc. Cooling brakes.

All and anything you know that will help me make my decision.

Thank you,
25 REPLIES 25

tinkerer
Explorer
Explorer
wolfe10 wrote:
Yes.

So, check to see if it is "53 stamped block.

If so, look CAREFULLY for a coolant leak.

Have an experienced Cummins mechanic check the block. If it has the dreaded 53 block I would run. Not worth the chance, I had one of those in a motorhome and it ended up to be a $19,000 mistake.

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
wolfe10 wrote:
Yes. thank you

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Yes.

Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
Engine 5.9L L6 DIESEL

iIs this the engine you are referencing?

wolfe10 wrote:
bigred1cav wrote:

What is a bad ISB?

1998- 2001 Cummins B 24 valve cracked block 53/Brazil block:

http://www.cumminsdieselspecs.com/cummins-53-block.html

KO
Explorer
Explorer
I've got a 06 Bounder Diesel. I lived in it while working in Yuma AZ for about 5 years. Been across country 8 times. I have had no problems with it (knock on wood). I have a CAT diesel and it is pre-DEF. I have fuel and oil filters changed every year along with the oil. In short no problems (mind you oil change is about $300). I change tires every 5 years - RV tires rarely need changing because of mileage but because of sitting.

Any RV will have stuff break - that's what they do!

I say if you have a good price and the rig's floor plan is what you want - go for it.

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Clicky
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.rcdrv.com/default.asp?page=xPreOwnedInventoryDetail&id=5526494&p=2&vc=class%20a&s=Price&d=D&fueltype=d&fr=xpreownedinventory

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
I do not know which floor plan is on the OP's Bounder but the 39Z is one of the best single slide layouts. Lots of storage space and well planned. Bounders are entry level and a 2001 would have really cheap cabinets. Poorly constructed. Later years are much improved. Fleetwood changed the way they installed windows somewhere around 2004. No more wall separation. Lots of bang for the buck.

Moisheh

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
bigred1cav wrote:

What is a bad ISB?

1998- 2001 Cummins B 24 valve cracked block 53/Brazil block:

http://www.cumminsdieselspecs.com/cummins-53-block.html
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
Cumins/Allison Freightliner . The roof looks good no leaks i side except for the skylight has small spot. 36,000 miles.

Big Katuna wrote:
I have an 05 I bought new and my roof is indeed getting toasty BUT it was (stupidly) not garage kept. Maybe this one was.

What drive train? Mileage?

Any service records?

I personally would look for something newer.

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
moisheh wrote:
The 2001 may have one of those bad ISB's. It may also have problems with an ill fitting windshield. Common up to 2001. 2002 had many improvements.

Moisheh

What is a bad ISB?

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
FIRE UP wrote:

It might be a hundred a foot if you were paying someone to do it, like a dealer or RV service center but, when I was getting ready to ours on our previous coach, the '99 34' Bounder, a roll of the EDPM sheet, large enough to do my entire roof was only about $350-$400 for the whole thing. But, that did not include any glue, and or anything else that was going to be needed for a complete DIY re-roof job.

But, yep, I'd go for a Rhino if we really liked the coach and, were going to keep it for a seriously long time.
Scott

reminds me of the threads where folks here claim maintenance on a diesel is no more than on a gasser. then you find out that they do all of their own maintenance themselves on the diesel. my Mr. fixit days are long past, when I discovered that I could work an hour overtime at my job and pay to avoid 6 hours under a vehicle.
bumpy

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
mike brez wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
mike brez wrote:
Brochure says rubber. Those are solid rvs. If you handy very easy to change roof rubber out.

but why bother with the hassle? plenty of other fish in the ocean.
bumpy

Well sir for the right price and 1k $ and a day of my time it would be good for another 20 years.

I thought a roof was about $100 a foot? I think your 1k@ is a gross understatement, rip it off and replace with rhinoo lining, don't reinstall a faulty product. but avoid the hassle and don't buy it unless it is very cheap.
bumpy

It might be a hundred a foot if you were paying someone to do it, like a dealer or RV service center but, when I was getting ready to ours on our previous coach, the '99 34' Bounder, a roll of the EDPM sheet, large enough to do my entire roof was only about $350-$400 for the whole thing. But, that did not include any glue, and or anything else that was going to be needed for a complete DIY re-roof job.

But, yep, I'd go for a Rhino if we really liked the coach and, were going to keep it for a seriously long time.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
mike brez wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
mike brez wrote:
Brochure says rubber. Those are solid rvs. If you handy very easy to change roof rubber out.

but why bother with the hassle? plenty of other fish in the ocean.
bumpy

Well sir for the right price and 1k $ and a day of my time it would be good for another 20 years.

I thought a roof was about $100 a foot? I think your 1k@ is a gross understatement, rip it off and replace with rhinoo lining, don't reinstall a faulty product. but avoid the hassle and don't buy it unless it is very cheap.
bumpy