cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not sure if I have a problem with landing gear or not

phemens
Explorer
Explorer
While travelling to our most recent destination, I noticed that the passenger side landing gear was hanging lower than the other side. Thinking that this might have been related to breaking the bolt on the connector bar (extending too much, then maybe didn’t notice one leg extended more than the other), I disconnected the connector bar Ann manually retracted the passenger side leg until even with the driver’s side.
When we got to the campsite, I extended the landing gear, but I noticed that the passenger side leg wasn’t pounding the ground the same as the driver’s side (i.e. it lowered but wasn’t as tight or solid as the other side. Once fully extended and levelled, the driver side leg is solid, but the passenger side is lowered but rattles (if that makes sense). Is this indicative of a stripped worm gear, and is there any way to verify this?
If the gear is stripped I assume there is no choice but to replace?
If I do have to replace, do I have to replace both legs, and if yes, is there a particular model that has a significantly longer extension than others? Reason I ask is that I have a slope in my driveway, so the most extension I can get is best.
2012 Dutchman Denali 324LBS behind a 2006 Ford F-250 V10 out of Montreal
1 DW, 1 DD, 1 DS, 2 HD (Hyper Dogs)
1200w solar, 600AH LIFePO4, Yamaha EF2000 gen, Samlex 3000w Inverter
14 REPLIES 14

phemens
Explorer
Explorer
So, Dutchmen came back to me and told me that the landing gear was likely Lippert, which I guess is Venture? They can’t say for sure as they say they were acquired by Keystone in 2014 and their records prior to then are spotty.

phemens
Explorer
Explorer
I pried off the top cap and there are no markings. I’ve sent off an email to Dutchmen to see if they can tell me what the equipment installed was based on the VIN.

Allworth
Explorer
Explorer
If Atwood, the name is (usually) cast on the square cap at the top of the main tube. Pry the cap off to check.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

phemens
Explorer
Explorer
Here’s a silly (maybe) question... I poked around inside and checked the legs for markings, could not find any, how do I know who the manufacturer is, is there something i’m Missing?

Allworth
Explorer
Explorer
If your gear is NOT Venture, it is probably Atwood. They also have excellent customer service. I had to replace a thrust bearing inside the leg and they talked me through ordering so I got exactly the right parts the first time.

Also, the advice to block the front of the trailer up on jack stands or cribbing and pull the leg assembly out to work on it is exactly right.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
Phemens wrote:
Not sure I understand. Ground is level, but even if it wasn’t, by lowering the extension to match on either side, should still work the same, no?

That's the way it works for me. So. . . I think the OP's problem is not related to unlevel ground.

Bayley
Explorer
Explorer
If your landing gear is from Venture Manufacturing (Lippert), you can call them direct. They will answer the phone and help you with your issue including ordering the part directly from them if you need something. They recently helped me when my landing gear gearbox went out. They quickly identified my problem and sent me the part. I installed it myself in about 15 minutes and I was back in business.
Fantastic customer service!!
Semper Fi

Tony, Darlene & the boss Bentley!
2013 Ram CTD, Ride-Rite Air Bags, B&W Turnover Ball and Andersen "Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection".
2014 Arctic Fox 29-5K 5th wheel with Reese Airborne Pin Box.

jamway
Explorer
Explorer
phemens I forgot this bit of information. At least they wanted that when I replaced ours.

If you just replace the gear you will need to count the teeth on the gears to get the correct gear for your landing gear.

Good luck.
Happy Camping

2004 2500 CTD HO LB 4X4 auto
2005 Discover America 29 RL

James

phemens
Explorer
Explorer
john&bet wrote:
phemens wrote:
While travelling to our most recent destination, I noticed that the passenger side landing gear was hanging lower than the other side. Thinking that this might have been related to breaking the bolt on the connector bar (extending too much, then maybe didn’t notice one leg extended more than the other), I disconnected the connector bar Ann manually retracted the passenger side leg until even with the driver’s side.
When we got to the campsite, I extended the landing gear, but I noticed that the passenger side leg wasn’t pounding the ground the same as the driver’s side (i.e. it lowered but wasn’t as tight or solid as the other side. Once fully extended and levelled, the driver side leg is solid, but the passenger side is lowered but rattles (if that makes sense). Is this indicative of a stripped worm gear, and is there any way to verify this?
If I do have to replace, do I have to replace both legs, and if yes, is there a particular model that has a significantly longer extension than others? Reason I ask is that I have a slope in my driveway, so the most extension I can get is best.
I suspect that the ground is not level between the two legs. I happened to me all the time.

Not sure I understand. Ground is level, but even if it wasn’t, by lowering the extension to match on either side, should still work the same, no?

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
phemens wrote:
I suspect that the ground is not level between the two legs. I happened to me all the time.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

Carl_n_Susan
Nomad II
Nomad II
You likely have landing gear from Venture Manufacturing. They have a complete set of parts from bevel gears to shear pins and even complete legs. Their web site has a ton of information about the legs and how they work.
Venture Link
Temp Signature1
Second Line
Third line
Fourth Line

phemens
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, I drew a line once I broke my second bolt. So I guess I disassemble the leg when I get back and see if I can replace the gear? Any idea what the part is, I could preorder it online so it is there when I get back?
In the meantime, am I safe with the leg as is or should I jack up that side? It seems stable enough with the strong arms locked in, and the leg itself seems to retract and extend fine, it just doesn’t really lock in.

Thanks for all the advise!

RoyF
Explorer
Explorer
I recently had a stripped gear on one side of my landing gear, and it would not move at all, either up or down. For what it's worth, I had to replace that one side only. I'm not a mechanic, so I had the dealer do it: $260.

The mechanic told me what probably caused the problem: raising the landing gear too high. He painted a line on the leg and told me never to extend higher than that painted line. I wish that they came come the factory like that.

jamway
Explorer
Explorer
I do not know about yours but on ours I just replaced the gear that had a tooth missing. There was no reason to replace the landing gear assy.

It was a lot easier to take the landing gear out of the trailer than to try to work on it in the `trailer.
Happy Camping

2004 2500 CTD HO LB 4X4 auto
2005 Discover America 29 RL

James