cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Arkansas SR-7 SB from Harrison, AR to Hot Springs, AR

BigMac
Explorer
Explorer
Wanting to do the Arkansas scenic drive SR-7 southbound from Harrison to Hot Springs AR. I'll not be pulling a toad on this trip. RV Trip Wizard shows some elevation change and some switchbacks of sorts in the hills, but no other issues. Good Sam trip planner also does not indicate any avoidances to be concerned with. But the (new to me) Garmin RV770 wants nothing to do with SR-7 and refuses to let me go the length of the route without dragging me off. Would be nice to hear from anyone who has actually driven it to see if it's fine to drive it or not. It's supposed to be a beautiful highway and I'd sure like to drive it if it's not going to be an unnecessarily risky venture.
Thanks in advance.

Mike and Cindy

FMCA / Good Sam Member
2016 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34 PA
2010 Pontiac G6
6 REPLIES 6

Bipeflier
Explorer
Explorer
If you found US 65 a challenge, you do not want to drive 7.
2010 Cruiser CF30SK Patriot
2016 3500 Duramax
1950 Right Hand Seat GPS (she tells me where to go)

BigMac
Explorer
Explorer
Unfortunately, we had heavy rain showers when heading into Harrison and forecasted additional rain along RT-7 heading South, so chose not to drive the scenic route. We instead proceeded down US-65, which was a bit of a challenge in it's own right. Thanks to all for your inputs.

Mike and Cindy

FMCA / Good Sam Member
2010 Pontiac G6

BigMac
Explorer
Explorer
Well we are planning to go ahead and do SR-7 to Hot Springs. I'll let you know how it goes

Mike and Cindy

FMCA / Good Sam Member
2010 Pontiac G6

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
Likely your GPS is not using the highway because it is listed as a slow trip.

GPS routing algorithms have two choices. Shortest distance which would take you down dirt roads in the Ozarks that a mule would balk at taking. And fastest route (time) and the GPS will simply refuse to use many scenic roads. AR 7 is one of those.

I haven’t driven AR-7 north of the Arkansas River in many years, but I consider the highway south of the river s nice relaxing drive when towing my 36’ TT.

Of course, my experience on that highway towing dates from when I got my drivers license in the mid-60s.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

“Not all who wander are lost.”
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

RoyF
Explorer
Explorer
I've been over that route many times. Yes, there are some grades and some sharp curves, but nothing to be concerned about if you just watch the signs and take the suggested speeds. As you approach the Buffalo River south of Harrison, the road decends quite a bit with some sharp curves. North of Hot Springs, as you go through the Ouachita National Forest, there is a fairly long grade and then a descent with curves.

But it's a nice, scenic drive. I say to heck the the GPS and go for it. Just exercise the usual care when driving in the mountains.

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
I have driven this route several times, with and without our 34' fifth-wheel. I do not consider it risky at all. On the other hand it is "curvy and hilly," and that amounts to a much slower route. If you have the time and are willing to enjoy the drive, I would recommend it.

EDIT to add: I have found most Arkansas state highways to have good surface and pleasant to drive but many of them are "curvy and hilly" like AR 7 and are not the fastest routes.