Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Whats the current best VENT FAN?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Whats the current best VENT FAN?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
wopachop

lb

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/18 08:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SoundGuy wrote:

wopachop wrote:

Has anyone found cheap and quiet 4" blowers? Thought about using those to blow through a filter and get nice clean cool air into the RV.

Why bother building anything when twin fan, reversible, multi speed window fans are readily available? My own Coachmen doesn't have a vent over the main cabin so I hang this twin fan in front of the street side bedroom window and it works just as well as a vent fan for bringing in fresh air or venting out hot air from the camper's interior.

[image]

I wanted a cheap but high powered 12v fan i could adjust the speed with using a dimmer. But the dimmer didnt work. Tried a PWM dimmer and a regular voltage dimmer. Both produced a high pitch noise in the motor. Was kinda bummed and overall not happy with the purchase. Think it was only 15 bucks off amazon.

Dusty R

Charlotte Michigan 48813

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/18 09:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had a MaxxAir Turbo Maxx 1200 T, which we liked real well. We traded that mh in for a new mh. I went to get a new Turbo Maxx and found that model was no longer available. Wish I had removed it before we traded old mh.

myredracer

Langley B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/18 09:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a Maxxair fan in the bedroom and in bathroom. We normally have them on the low 10% setting at night to get fresh air into the bedroom (the bedroom window gets cracked open) even in colder weather. Works great. The bedroom gets too stuffy without air flow. Having the remotes is nice.

Problem is, the fans make a low 60 cycle hum sorta sound that goes up & down in intensity maybe a couple times a minute. It's not exactly loud but loud enough at night it's annoying and can make it hard to get back to sleep. Not sure how to fix it. Not noticeable on higher speeds. Not sure if it was like that in the beginning. Bearings? Resonance? The fans do get a lot of run time including when it's parked at home in the summer heat.

I hate CAPTCHA. It just will not go away...

Gil, Deb & Dougal the Springer Spaniel
2014 KZ Spree 262RKS, Reese DC WDH
2012 GMC Sierra 2500HD crew cab

wopachop

lb

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/18 10:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RedRacer thats a fun troubleshoot to think about. I wonder if youre hearing voltage fluctuations? Or maybe the dimmer knob which i think is just a potentiometer is dusty? Or maybe the dimmer at very low settings will fluctuate like that just due to its design.

If its super super super annoying and you have the time to play with things you could try a couple tests.

1. Access the fan wires and power it from a 12v battery. Or a 12v power supply. To isolate it from everything.

2. Pull off whatever covers you can and spray the inside of the dimmer knob with electronics cleaner. Or blast it with air.

myredracer

Langley B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/18 11:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wopachop wrote:

RedRacer thats a fun troubleshoot to think about. I wonder if youre hearing voltage fluctuations? Or maybe the dimmer knob which i think is just a potentiometer is dusty? Or maybe the dimmer at very low settings will fluctuate like that just due to its design.

If its super super super annoying and you have the time to play with things you could try a couple tests.

1. Access the fan wires and power it from a 12v battery. Or a 12v power supply. To isolate it from everything.

2. Pull off whatever covers you can and spray the inside of the dimmer knob with electronics cleaner. Or blast it with air.

Thx for the ideas! We replaced the WFCO converter with a Progressive Dynamics along with a new AGM battery a couple of seasons ago and no change. Each fan has it's own IR remote control so nothing to blast with a cleaner. I'm leaning towards more of a mechanical thing.

Maybe at a certain RPM it's matching the harmonic frequency of the roof structure components? Very annoying and sure would like to fix it. Maybe the fan motors could be isolated with some type of rubber mounts?? Have no idea what these things look like inside.

wopachop

lb

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/18 11:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The harmonic frequency idea makes sense. The vibrations sorta build and build until it matches, changes sounds, and then vibrates itself free and starts all over.

What if you tape something heavy to the fan?

MEXICOWANDERER

las peƱas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/18 01:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If someone would get off their fat butt and introduce a brushless motor fan with ball bearings packed with synthetic grease, it would be a godsend. Fantastic Fan as well as everything else I've seen use absolutely krappy switches. Small Niehoff brushless alternators can typically last (mechanically) 400,000 miles. My bus Niehoff may go a million miles with no mechanical problems.

Ball bearings, properly supported in a pier framework can withstand out of balance (blades) so badly biased it would have a fan hopping across the floor.

Yet the Japanese manufacturers of the Fantastic fan motor charge sixty dollars retail for a oilite bushing motor that has brushes.

Why am I sensitive about this?

• I live where fans stay on 24/7/365/decades
  • Nippondenso motors come in boxes marked Made In Japan
  • THREE HUNDRED PERCENT TAX!!!
  • Shipping from the USA is NINETY DOLLARS
  • A new fan purchased in Mexico costs one hundred nine dollars PLUS sixteen percent tax PLUS thirty one dollars to ship.

If I had better access to internet searches I would find a 12vdc complete fan with no brushes, ball bearings, that consumes less than 4 amps at 300 cfm. Not sounding like a Sikorsky in-heat would be a plus, too.

wopachop

lb

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/18 02:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Modern brushless bilge pump perhaps?

wopachop

lb

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/18 02:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Whoops i meant air blower. Not a water pump.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/10/18 03:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I like my Fantastic Fan. Why re-invent the wheel?
maxxair should also serve well.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Whats the current best VENT FAN?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS