Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Whats the current best VENT FAN?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Whats the current best VENT FAN?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
wopachop

lb

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/18 03:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Humans reinvent the wheel because we are smart and inventive creatures. If we didnt reinvent the wheel you wouldnt have a truck and trailer. You would have a horse and carriage with wooden wheels wrapped in steel i think? Curious now how those were made.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/18 04:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fantastic fan used to be noted for Customer Service above and beyond but the company has changed hands so I DO NOT KNOW how that affects thigns.

Maxx-Air makes a fan that blows DOWN onto the roof. not UP into the air. Now this may sound like "What???" but what it does us suck air up then around and down. So if you have it open and the skies open and it is raining bucket fulls..> Well the rain stays OUTSIDE since it is fully covered.

Even with an approved FF cover on my FF. Rain can get in

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

MEXICOWANDERER

las peñas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/18 04:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With no rain in sight a hood, a shroud made of extremely durable canvas or nylon could be aimed axially into the slightest breeze. It doesn't take much to incite full gale breezes inside a rig. A scoop atop the rear bedroom vent plus an open living room door will incite a breeze that no Bic lighter would overcome.

Why reinvent the wheel? Come see my two worn-out Fantastic breeze fans. The BORG fans have run 24/7/365 longer than 2 months over the Fantastic Endless Breeze fans. There is no extra-cost option to the FF fan. Sixty dollars plus shipping for a motor is a loser. Especially when shipping means four hundred dollars. Or I could buy a new fan for a hundred sixty dollars. Some wheel, huh?

mosseater

Dillsburg, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/10/18 04:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have one of each Maxfan and Fantastic, and have had zero problems with either in 5 years. Keep the screens clean. All the screens, window screens too. What air goes out must bring air in. Your window screens are giant filters.

"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/18 05:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would try something besides Fantastic Fan.
They changed the design of the motor and they are now a much louder, pancake design.
Plus, their support has gone down the toilet.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins.
2018 Silver Fox 32A.
H0NDA eu2000i

MEXICOWANDERER

las peñas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/18 05:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The latest fan screeched right out of the box. They promptly sent a replacement that screeches even louder. Cats flatten their ears and run away.

Perhaps the company was a superlative at one time. Sad. Why can't motors be made here?

landyacht318

Near a large body of salty water

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/18 06:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MEXICOWANDERER wrote:

I would find a 12vdc complete fan with no brushes, ball bearings, that consumes less than 4 amps at 300 cfm. Not sounding like a Sikorsky in-heat would be a plus, too.

Silverstone fm181, 150 cfm, dual ball bearing, included adjustable speed control, max draw 0.29 amps

Very quiet for air moved.

0.09 amps slowest speed, 65 cfm

Silverstone AP 182 1.3 amp, at max speed 0.05 at minimum,and 165 cfm, but mugh higher static pressure rating. Does not like battery charging voltages at max speed.

FM181 has no issues with 14.7 all day long at max speed

Both are dual ball bearing fans. Bearing diameter is~ 3/4 inches

180mm diameter = 7.08 inches.

Are not most roof vents 14 inches square?

Is that 0.16 inches too much extra for one's modification abilities?

4 fm 181s in a 14 inch vent, 600 cfm for 1.1 amps or so.

I sleep with a fm181 mere inches from my head and it has not been turned off in 6 months

https://www.amazon.com/SilverStone-performance-speed-FM181-Silver/dp/B002M78L0A

https://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?area=en&pid=222

wopachop

lb

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/18 05:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That is some good stuff landYacht!!!!!!

I like that approach of several efficient fans. I want to have positive pressure with air that is filtered. Maybe controlled by a thermostat.

landyacht318

Near a large body of salty water

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/18 12:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My thing about fans is they must have speed control, and they should also be powerful it high speed.

The FM181 is too quiet to consider powerful. The AP182 is certianly powerful but can draw an amp more and does not like battery charging voltages.

My AP182 failed, it is used as in intake fan near a large salty body of water and the circuit board had corroded. My FM181's circuit board got sprayed with DeOxit Shield s5 spray and has already outlasted the AP182. BOth these fans are White. i spray painted the casing and impellers black. reoving the impeller requires special pliers and E or C clips. I made some out of some needle nose HF pliers.

My FM181 uses the spiral flow concentrating faceplate from the failed AP182, which i hacksawed off as it is not easy to find a 180mm fan fingerguard.

There are also Some other large computer fans. Noctua makea a 200MM fan which moves 86.5 cfm for 0.09 amps and 18Db.

My intake fan shroud has 3 fans, the Fm181 and two Noctua IPPC Nff-12 indstrial PWM fans, capable of 3000 rpm on a Noctua speed controller. these are rated at 110 CFM, so 2 of them and the FM 181 without restriction, should push 370 CFM into my rig and all three on high draw 0.86 amps. There is restriction to this flow so than number is optomistic, but the Noctua industrial fans are very good, and draw 0.3 amps on max speed.

The Silverstone FM121 also moves 110CFM but has half the static pressure rating, and consumes 0.4 amps, but is also a very good dual ball bearing fan.

I can attach a carbon filter to my intake fan shroud so fans suck filtered air into the rig. It's restriction definitely cuts airflow a fair amount. I use the same material on my interior air circulation fan, a 92MM delta fan that is ridiculously powerful and which I control with a voltage bucker modified with an external finger twist 10k Ohm potentiometer. the fan pulls air through the filter sock on the back of the fan. The sock is about 6 inches long and it sticks to the velcro around the perimeter of the fan. It does an excellent job of collecting dust/sheepdog dander, and only when it gets really loaded does it compress at higher fan speeds.

Computer fans vary widely in air moved for noise made and amperage consumed. I have one 120MM fan that has a sleeve bearing, consumes 0.6 amps makes a Lot of noise, and moves less air than the Noctua industrial fan at 3K rpm that consumes half that amperage.

But a fantastik fan or Maxair fan can move some 800 CFM on high. Hard to equal that in a 14 inch square.

wopachop

lb

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/18 07:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Youre quite knowledgeable with the computer fans. Going by the specs alone im surprised youre saying the FM181 is quiet, and the AP182 is powerful. Their specs seem so close. Im thinking about the AP182 to use inside the trailer like a regular fan.

Do you have any experience with the brushless 12v blowers? They seem to be less efficient, lower CFM and higher noise.

For my particular application air filtration is a must. Trailer is located in the desert and clouds of dust hit the trailer every time someone drives down the dirt road.

So i need a fan that is able to push or pull air. A computer fan might not be ideal for that. Trying to form several questions to get thoughts together.

1. Would a computer case fan work better at pushing air or pulling air through ductwork?

2. I also see the SilverStone FHP series that has higher pressure. Only comes in 141mm. Have experience with those?

3. Think a 4" bilge blower would be better if the goal is to filter air and push through say 5 feet of duct? I might mount the blower underneath the trailer. Run the duct through the floor and pop out the kitchen cabinet.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Whats the current best VENT FAN?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS