cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mama Gertie’s campground

zackyboy3rs
Explorer
Explorer
Just made reservations site 40 August 8-12. Only site available on upper level. I have watched a couple of YouTube videos and they mention the step slope to the upper level. I will be using my truck 2009 Silverado 2500hd 2WD 6.0 gas & 25ft Openrange Light right at #7500-8000 pounds. I should be ok? Correct?

Places to visit. We plan to drive over to Grandfather’s Mountain/Blowing Rock area one day but other than that we have no plans. How far would Maggie Valley be? Other ideas? I doubt we do the Biltmore House due to heat. Ideas? Thanks!
2009 Chevy Silverado LTZ 2500HD 6.0L, 3.73, Gas sipper
2015 Jayco Eagle HT 27.5 RLTS
8 REPLIES 8

pulsar
Explorer
Explorer
garmp wrote:
Grandfather Mountain is very nice, but at $20.00 per adult is ought to be.

And the attractions portion of the mountain is owned by a non-profit foundation!!

Most of the mountain, the undeveloped portion, is owned by the state of North Carolina and is a state park with no entry fee. (Free permits are required for hiking and camping.)

The entry fees for the developed portion seem excessive to me for a non-profit that accepts donations and grants. In their 2016 annual report, they showed a profit of more than 1.3 million dollars, not counting donations.

Tom
2015 Meridian 36M
2006 CR-V toad
3 golden retrievers (Breeze, Jinks, Razz)
1 border collie (Boogie)

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grandfather Mountain is very nice, but at $20.00 per adult is ought to be.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
I pulled a 35 footer up there with a similar truck. It's steep but no big deal. Not much shade at the top but it is a beautiful view from there.

We spent the first two nights of seven at a lower level site with our trailer hanging out in the drive because they claimed that I told them that my trailer was only 25 feet long. I told them since I've never owned a 25' trailer it was pretty unlikely that I would tell them that. They insisted it was my error not theirs. Other than the "we're perfect and you don't have a clue how long your trailer is" attitude it was an enjoyable stay.

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
There is the Folk Art Center on the BRP north of Asheville. Beautiful work displayed there. Then a little further north is Mt. Mitchell, the highest mountain east of the Mississippi. It has a nice restaurant there too if you want some lunch. Beautiful views. Maggie Valley and Cherokee are interesting enough too. Wheels Through Time is a worth while stop if you like old motorcycles and cars. Lots of antique stores too. Museum of the Cherokee Indian is in Cherokee that is also a good stop. You might head a bit south and go into Lake Lure area. That area has Chimney Rock and nice little town and stores. Hendersonville is an old town with lots of antique stores

If you want a really nice dinner with some good beer there is the Sierra Nevada Brewery out by the Asheville airport. There is a lot to do in that area but I will say that if you have never been to the Biltmore House then you really should do it. Nothing else like it. Great food on the grounds of all types and plan on all day to see things. Take one of the add on tours like the roof tour or a behind the scenes tour they are very interesting. Bring comfortable shoes though, lots of walking.

zackyboy3rs
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone.
2009 Chevy Silverado LTZ 2500HD 6.0L, 3.73, Gas sipper
2015 Jayco Eagle HT 27.5 RLTS

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Go to Wheels through time museum in Maggie Valley.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
zackyboy3rs wrote:
Just made reservations site 40 August 8-12. Only site available on upper level. I have watched a couple of YouTube videos and they mention the step slope to the upper level. I will be using my truck 2009 Silverado 2500hd 2WD 6.0 gas & 25ft Openrange Light right at #7500-8000 pounds. I should be ok? Correct?

Places to visit. We plan to drive over to Grandfather’s Mountain/Blowing Rock area one day but other than that we have no plans. How far would Maggie Valley be? Other ideas? I doubt we do the Biltmore House due to heat. Ideas? Thanks!

should be no problem as long as it don't drag on the incline change.

As far as what to do. You will be closer to Maggie Valley than GrandFather, and Blowing Rock. Blowing rock is about 90 min away, If you go back down 40 which is the closest way. Maggie is 50 min away.

Also. Black mountain is right there, and is a great little town to walk around in. Wonderful little Steak, and seafood place between Black Mountain , and Swannanoa. Biltmore is only 15 min away.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

pulsar
Explorer
Explorer
Mama Gertie's is about 45 minutes from Maggie Valley. It's about an hour form Linville Falls and a little less from Linville Caverns. It's about an hour from Mount Mitchell, driving along the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Tom
2015 Meridian 36M
2006 CR-V toad
3 golden retrievers (Breeze, Jinks, Razz)
1 border collie (Boogie)