cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tire covers......why?

3_dog_nights
Explorer
Explorer
OK, I'm a newbie. I searched the history and found a lot of comments about tire covers, but no reason for tire covers. Why do i want tire covers? the sun is on the tires of everything I own and have owned for 65+ years, never had a problem. Why do I think this is something "they" need to sell, not that I need to buy???
Bob & Lynn
2 Chihuahua's, Ella, Gracie

was-2013 Open Range 424RLS,06' Chevy 3500, dually, Duramax/Allison

also was - 2015 Winnebago Adventurer 37F, towing 2003 Jeep Wrangler

now - 2021 NoBo 19.5, 2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL (Talk about downsizing!)
22 REPLIES 22

hipower
Explorer
Explorer
While tire failure during a trip is a concern for numerous reasons, I would suggest that most tire failures are due to road hazards, under inflation and running into and over curbs. Overloading, age and not protecting the tires from the sun would be a distant fourth or fifth.

Zman300
Explorer
Explorer
In addition to tire covers.
It's good to keep the tires off the asphalt, when parked for extended periods.
When parked at home for a long time, I had 4 pieces of plywood to park on.
That's what I was told so that's what we did.
No RV at the moment.
Looking to hit the road in a year or two.

3_dog_nights
Explorer
Explorer
OK then, where is the best place to buy the cover, covers?
Bob & Lynn

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
Not if you use Tire Cover Covers over them
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollin’ on 33’s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Executive wrote:
They're all about the same.
The cheaper ones with the thin plastic covering will crack and break quickly.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
3 dog nights wrote:
OK, OP here, If I follow the consensus that I need to get covers, where is the best place to get them?

Anywhere but Camping World...:B.

Just kidding.. Tire covers can be most anything, even cardboard if you want. If you are going with the 'look' do a google search and get the best price on them. They're all about the same. A word of caution though---the more expensive ones have batting on the inside to 'protect' the tire. Nice to feel, nice to put on, MICE and RODENTS love the batting for nesting....choose your poison....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

3_dog_nights
Explorer
Explorer
OK, OP here, If I follow the consensus that I need to get covers, where is the best place to get them?
Bob & Lynn

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
At work, we have a 1-ton dually that is used as a work-horse to move heavy equipment trailers and generators. It's a 2014 model and only has about 8K miles on it. Obviously, it sits the majority of the time. We just replaced the tires due to weather-checking/sidewall-cracking from sitting int he sunlight. The same brand/model/size tires on a daily-use vehicle are still looking great with nearly 35K miles on them. Sunlight will KILL a set of tires if they don't get used often, as in the case of most RVs. As a result of having to pay out $1,200 for a replacement set of tires on that truck, I bought tire covers for ALL of my trailers and equipment that sit in the sun for longer periods of time.

So yeah, I'd say the covers are worth it. Covers cost between $30-$60/set of 4.....tires, around $400 each.....not to mention reducing the chance of a blowout as a result of cracked sidewalls.....
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
You average car tire wears out before the UV can do them in. It also helps that the flexing while driving moves the oils to the surface.

The end result is your average car tire is worn out in 3-4 years long before UV damage can take out the side walls.

RV's often sit for months at a time. It's not unusual for a tire to be 6-8yrs old with only a few thousand miles on it and full tread depth. So failure method is aging out which is heavily impacted by UV damage. If you can stop the UV damage, you can increase the life.

I wouldn't bother if only stopping for a night or two but if it's going to be in storage for a month or more, certainly makes sense.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

77rollalong
Explorer
Explorer
over the years i have seen many tires with side wall cracking, and most of the time its only the outside face, and not the inner side, as far as agricultural tires even if they have major checking in the side walls, how fast are they really going, its a big difference blowing a tire at 65 MPH as apposed to loosing a tire plowing a field. I put tubes in one truck that the tires where leaking so bad through the side walls, but it was only a plow truck to clear the parking lot in the winter, so we really didn't worry about loosing a tire. Steering, tires and brakes are the most important things to keep you in control any one will cause major problems and a scary ride... tire covers do help..

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
In Nevada at 5,000 feet using tire covers, pieces of plywood or parking in the shade will extend the life of your tires.

Vehicles that get used all the time believe it or not, pump tire compounds to the surface of the rubber by being driven. Tires that sit for long periods are much more susceptible to UV damage.

egh33
Explorer
Explorer
When we had our first motor Home the tires cracked pretty bad.
Then when we bought our new Motor Home and had to replace the tires at about 5 years due to cracks I got tire covers to fit the bigger tires than the old MH . Put the tire covers on and those tires still look almost new. Because this old Texas sun is hard on any tire that just sits. Those covers were sure a lot cheaper than those new set of tires.

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
How many commercial and agricultural vehicles that are seasonal use do you see with tire covers?

RV owners have already demonstrated a willingness to buy things we want, but don't need. 🙂

It's a marketing dream.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Google (why not)

It's not a conspiracy.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman