cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Posible transfer switch question

Bromley
Explorer
Explorer
I have a class a Bounder and have it parked semi-permanent. Would anyone have an idea about an issue I have? I have removed the starting battery from the coach and just have the auxiliary batteries hooked up. I have use of all 12 volt power no problem but I would like to use the car stereo. When I turn on the switch for auxiliary batteries All 12 volt systems work as normal but the radio turns on for about 3O seconds then I hear a circuit in the motor areo click and radio shuts off then about 3O seconds later it turns off again and then repeats this. I have the radio switched to park.I'm wondering if a transfer switch is faulty maybe?
8 REPLIES 8

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'd use my phone with a bluetooth adapter and bass speaker..just sayin...Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would borrow a small battery to put in the chassis battery spot and see if things get back to normal.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Many Fleetwood products have a switch on the dash to use radio off the coach batteries. Mine is located under the tuner knob on the dash.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
If the radio only works with the battery boost/auxiliary switch on, sounds like the radio IS wired to the chassis battery and you are powering the chassis battery circuits from the house battery through the boost switch. If this is not correct interpretation, please let us know.

If so, wonder what other circuits are powered that may be contributing to tripping a re-settable breaker?
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Bromley
Explorer
Explorer
Mr. wizard.... There may be a thermal switch cutting off, makes sense. But I don't think the radio has a problem as it works fine with switch set to travel and chassis battery hooked up. And yes house batteries aree fully charged,

Bromley
Explorer
Explorer
Wolfe1O I have the chassis battery disconnected and using only house batteries. Radio turns on and plays but shuts off after about 3O seconds and then turns on again. I hear a CLICK in the motor compartment when this happens. I hear another click and radio comes on again.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
If you are going to do this for any long period of time, why not just move the power source for the radio to the HOUSE battery.

The vast majority of coaches do have power from both chassis and house banks lead to the dash.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

MrWizard
There is no TS relay, for the radio
Just the dash 12v switch, that switches main power
Sounds like an auto reset thermal circuit breaker
Is tripping then cooling and re-seting
Assuming this just recently started, I suspect the radio has a problem
I can explain it to you.