cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Towing Accident today

thehippie
Explorer
Explorer
I was towing today on freeway and everything was fine.

When i got to the gate of the RV storage facilty where i keep my trailer, suddenly the wheels were locked on my trailer.

The lanyard of the emergency brake wasn't pulled out obviously.

Found out that the 30 amp wire that connects trailer to vehicle was lacerated.

I presumed that was bec it got caught by the tongue of trailer or the friction control bar? But i wasn't doing a big turn at that time.

When your wire gets lacerated does it also engage the emergency brakes and locks the trailer wheels?

I almost hit the other trailer in the storage when my truck skidded sideways... half an inch more could cost me that trailer.

6 REPLIES 6

thehippie
Explorer
Explorer
eDUBz wrote:
We were out camping with some friends (no longer friends) when we barley got our new TH. It
Was Sunday and everyone else had split. I plugged in the trailer to the truck and was checking
Lights before we left and my wife said Iights weren’t on and we had no power. I checked the cord and it was perfectly sliced through most of the wires. Still not sure how it happend and when.....very strange....
Why would ur friends do that?

eDUBz
Explorer
Explorer
We were out camping with some friends (no longer friends) when we barley got our new TH. It
Was Sunday and everyone else had split. I plugged in the trailer to the truck and was checking
Lights before we left and my wife said Iights weren’t on and we had no power. I checked the cord and it was perfectly sliced through most of the wires. Still not sure how it happend and when.....very strange....
LBZ - Stealth TH - RZR 900 4 - Honda 450X - Paddleboarder - Fisherman - Kayaker

IBcarguy
Explorer
Explorer
I pinched my wiring harness in the hitch once when I was backing up in a tight location and had to nearly jack knifed the trailer. Common thing.

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
A Hot wire that was cut simply touched your Brake wire that was also cut and put full power to the brakes.
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
That isn't the 30 amp cable, it is the trailer 7 wire connection for lights and brakes.
Most likely you will find that at least two wires are the 12 volt o the trailer and the brake wire, putting 12 volts to the brakes!

If it would have happened on the freeway, you likely would have slowed rather rapidly, but not likely locked up, at least until you slowed. Still would have been scary!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

thehippie
Explorer
Explorer
scared to death it didn't happen on freeway.