Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Toy Haulers: Towing Accident today
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers  >  Toy Haulers

> Towing Accident today

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
thehippie

United States

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/18 03:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was towing today on freeway and everything was fine.

When i got to the gate of the RV storage facilty where i keep my trailer, suddenly the wheels were locked on my trailer.

The lanyard of the emergency brake wasn't pulled out obviously.

Found out that the 30 amp wire that connects trailer to vehicle was lacerated.

I presumed that was bec it got caught by the tongue of trailer or the friction control bar? But i wasn't doing a big turn at that time.

When your wire gets lacerated does it also engage the emergency brakes and locks the trailer wheels?

I almost hit the other trailer in the storage when my truck skidded sideways... half an inch more could cost me that trailer.

[image]

[image]

* This post was edited 06/10/18 03:23pm by thehippie *

thehippie

United States

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/18 03:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

scared to death it didn't happen on freeway.

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/10/18 03:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That isn't the 30 amp cable, it is the trailer 7 wire connection for lights and brakes.
Most likely you will find that at least two wires are the 12 volt o the trailer and the brake wire, putting 12 volts to the brakes!

If it would have happened on the freeway, you likely would have slowed rather rapidly, but not likely locked up, at least until you slowed. Still would have been scary!

Russ & Paula
The Beagles Precious, and Belle.
2001 Dodge 2500 4X4, 5.9 Cummins, NV4500, 3.55's, Pacbrake PRXB, DS Power Puck,Bilstein 5100's, 310,000 miles.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360# GCVW 19,500#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

1320Fastback

Vista, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/18 05:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A Hot wire that was cut simply touched your Brake wire that was also cut and put full power to the brakes.

1992 D250 Cummins, 5spd, 4"' straight piped, sensors deleted, airbags, DAP injectors, 18cm.

IBcarguy

Northern CA

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/18 07:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I pinched my wiring harness in the hitch once when I was backing up in a tight location and had to nearly jack knifed the trailer. Common thing.

eDUBz

Oxnard

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/18 10:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We were out camping with some friends (no longer friends) when we barley got our new TH. It
Was Sunday and everyone else had split. I plugged in the trailer to the truck and was checking
Lights before we left and my wife said Iights weren’t on and we had no power. I checked the cord and it was perfectly sliced through most of the wires. Still not sure how it happend and when.....very strange....

LBZ - Stealth - RZR - Honda - SUPsurf - Fish - Kayak

thehippie

United States

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/18 12:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

eDUBz wrote:

We were out camping with some friends (no longer friends) when we barley got our new TH. It
Was Sunday and everyone else had split. I plugged in the trailer to the truck and was checking
Lights before we left and my wife said Iights weren’t on and we had no power. I checked the cord and it was perfectly sliced through most of the wires. Still not sure how it happend and when.....very strange....
Why would ur friends do that?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers  >  Toy Haulers

> Towing Accident today
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS