Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: 12V circuit only works on shore power or generator
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> 12V circuit only works on shore power or generator

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
heyobie

Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/18 07:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have two 12V circuits that intermittently do not work. When I run the generator or connect to shore power the circuits work fine.

I am not sure what the electrical gods are telling me. Any advice is appreciated. It just rained and the problems resurfaced. Not sure if there is a connection.

Thanks in advance
1988 TravelMaster Ford E350

2oldman

Pahrump

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/18 07:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

battery

heyobie

Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/18 04:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The RV battery is only 2 years old and I take good care of trickle charging. I took a meter to the panel to check the voltages. On battery power, the main wires to the 12v panel were 13.45 and the same was found at each fuse

What surprised me was that when I measured with shore power the voltages dropped to 12.8. I thought since the problem was happening on battery power, that the voltage would be lower on battery not higher.

77rollalong

Brighton Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/18 04:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Would check the relay that does the transfer for the 12V, as with our rv i have 1 circuit that is a direct battery connection for the radio ( separate fuse) , the rest go through the transfer relay, ours also has a battery disconnect switch which will kill all 12Vs from the battery to the 12v panel as well too but still work fine off the generator or shore power but will not charge the RV batter when off.

Roadpilot

NH Seacoast

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/18 05:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your measurements of 13.45 and 12.8 were probably done with either a trickle charger or shore power on. Measure the battery when you have the problem. It does sound like a battery issue.

Millennium Prevost 2018
2013 Chevy Avalanche Black Diamond
2013 Chevy Tahoe
HD 2015 Ultra Limited Low (Mine)
HD 2016 Triglide (DW)
Cruiser Caddie motorcycle lift and 24' Stacker

naturist

Lynchburg, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/11/18 06:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Several years ago I had a battery that charged up and would deliver 12.5 volts but deliver current for only a couple minutes to my trailer lights before things went black. I pulled it off the trailer when it was supposedly fully charged and took it to an Auto Zone where their tester showed it was toast. A new battery solved the problem. Charge your battery fully and then take it in to be tested. My guess is you have the same issue I did.

Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/18 06:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Heyobie,

Check out/maybe replace your current converter/charger.

Your coach was built before the current versions of really good converter chargers were available. Because the controls were both expensive and bad, many had an internal 12V transfer (not to be confused with a generator transfer switch) so part of it made ~14.2 to recharge the house bank and another part made 12.5 to run the internal 12V service.

My bet is that the battery charge and the transfer are both dead. This is not altogether bad. After you have checked it all out and if I am right (that unit will have a pair of leads that go to the house bank and another pair to the DC panel), rip that thing out of there. Get a new three (or four) stage unit. I will suggest that you look at Progressive Dynamics 93XX numbers or Iota and I don't know the series and get one and put it in.

When you put it in, just make the connections from the panel, the house bank and the new converter all together and you should be good to go.

Unless you have a much more massive house bank than I would expect, just get a new version that is rated at about 40 amps and you will be happy. With the Iota and PD converters, that trickle charger will be a waste of time as they will do it better and be kinder to the bank also.

Matt

Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

ksg5000

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/18 08:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another possibility. Your rig likely has an auto reset circuit breaker near your coach batteries. When the circuit breaker goes toes up it disconnects your batteries from the rig. On most rigs the converter will operate without the batteries which would allow your 12 volt to work fine when hooked up to shore power. You can test whether the auto reset breaker works with a simple continuity test - they are available at any auto parts house.

Kevin

heyobie

Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/18 09:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks guys.i like swapping it out. I like my old rig that I have been restoring for two years and plan on crossing the country. Only 30000 on it. I got everything working with a couple bugs. In it about 6 grand at this point. Not fancy like the new rigs but it is historic and a good starting point.

heyobie

Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/18 02:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So I took the advice to have the battery checked out. Battery is good. Talked to a couple vendors about my current system produced by B-M Manufacturing. They led me to Parallax Power who makes a replacement for the bottom end of the 6345. They say the problem is in the bottom of the unit which handles the charging and converting. So for $220 bucks, I'll give it a shot.

I'll report back when I get it installed.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> 12V circuit only works on shore power or generator
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS