Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: We want cheap and light, we GET cheap and light!!!
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> We want cheap and light, we GET cheap and light!!!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
trailernovice

Mission TX

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/18 08:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I get it...especially for those of us who use our TT's recreationally/occasionally, price matters (ex. I probably wouldn't spend more than $20K on a trailer, given our status as 'weekenders' maybe 5-6 times/year with one or two longer trips thrown in)...and, weight matters...notice how many travel trailers have the word 'light' or 'lite' in their brand name...

Price and weight both matter...That said: the bottom of one of the kitchen drawers blew out...I took it out of the cabinet to see what could be done...the bottom of the drawer was hardly thicker than a piece of paper, and was held onto the drawer frame by the teeny-tiniest little staples imaginable...flimsy, especially given that whatever's stored in it will be bouncing around on the road

Glenn and Toni
2016 Crossroads Z1 252BH
2016 Ram 1500 5.7 3.21 gears
Reese round bar w/d with sway control

seaeagle2

seattle

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/10/18 08:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

But some Amish guy did it before he left for the day to work in the fields.

2010 F 150 4.6 3V
2014 Chalet Takena 1860
"one life, don't blow it", Kona Brewing
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life there'd be a shortage of fishing poles" Doug Larson

azrving

Quartzsite

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/18 02:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The drawer is nothing, hopefully you dont have a foam core floor that gets spongy.

LarryJM

NoVa

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/18 03:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You were lucky since below is what was originally in our TT.

[image]

Larry

2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/18 06:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

there all made cheap some just cheaper than others.

LVJJJ

NW WASHINGTON

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/11/18 07:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think trays like that are a great idea, lot easier to find things by pulling them out to look rather than feeling around with your arm deep inside the cabinet. Too old to get down and look. Probably more lightweight too.

You want thin as you can get panelling to save weight (for those of us who are weight concious. If it falls apart, you fix it. That's the best part of RV's, there is always something to fix.

And we have a 2005 Trail Cruiser which has foam core floors, not spongy yet.

1994 GMC Suburban K1500
2005 Trail Cruiser TC26QBC
1965 CHEVY VAN, 292 "Big Block 6" (will still tow)
2008 HHR
L(Larry)V(Vicki)J(Jennifer)J(Jesse)J(Jason)

myredracer

Langley B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/18 08:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, you're only just starting to get initiated, lol.

-Made the bed one day and flicked the sheet towards the head of the bed and the headboard fell clear off the wall. Yup, held on by a few itsy bitsy, teeny weeny staples.
-Lights in slide kept flickering. Cause you ask? Wire barely inserted into crimp connector and crimp made onto the plastic instead of metal.
-Bathroom door won't stay closed 'cuz the wall at the top is almost 3/4" out of plumb.

This is only a small sampling of the MINOR issues we've had and could go on for pages. Worst thing has been getting a whole dang TT replaced under warranty due to frame problems. How does this happen? Total lack of quality control plus they could care less. Oh, and lack of industry regulations on design and construction.

Every day, I live in fear of water intrusion and rot, mold or delamination. Surely it is yet to come. [emoticon]

After going through 3 TTs in 3 years, I've become a hardened and cynical RV owner. Sad!

I hate CAPTCHA. CAPTCHA sux. CAPTCHA is evil. CAPTCHA needs fixing.

Gil, Deb & Dougal the Springer Spaniel
2014 KZ Spree 262RKS, Reese DC WDH
2009 F250 super duty, V10, 8' bed, Hawkshead TPMS

rbpru

North Central Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/11/18 08:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 25ft, 2010 Dutchmen Lite that I bought in 2014. Yes they do require fix and repair. Most minor like drawers and trim other a bit more extensive like slide problems.

But quite frankly I do not know of any other 25ft. TT I can pull over 35,000 miles with a half-ton pick-up for $14,000.00

We had a summer cottage growing up that always needed attention and it was not being pulled down the road.

TTs and maintenance go hand in hand.

Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

afidel

Cleveland

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/18 09:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LarryJM wrote:

[image]

Larry

Nah, the plastic tubs that came with ours are a lot better than poorly constructed drawers as seen in Ikea cabinets (and even those sound better than what OP is describing). They're not the prettiest things but I have no fear that they're going to blow out going over a bump.

2017 KZ Sportsmen Classic 181BH
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 long bed
E2 WDH

LarryJM

NoVa

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/18 09:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

afidel wrote:

LarryJM wrote:

[image]

Larry

Nah, the plastic tubs that came with ours are a lot better than poorly constructed drawers as seen in Ikea cabinets (and even those sound better than what OP is describing). They're not the prettiest things but I have no fear that they're going to blow out going over a bump.

well I and the better half are much, much happier with the alternative that I installed as shown below ... you can keep the useless plastic garbage drawers.

[image]

and

[image]

Larry

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> We want cheap and light, we GET cheap and light!!!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS