Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: We want cheap and light, we GET cheap and light!!!
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> We want cheap and light, we GET cheap and light!!!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Cecilt

Page

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/11/18 09:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

azrving wrote:

The drawer is nothing, hopefully you dont have a foam core floor that gets spongy.

This is what I am dealing with. I have an area in front of my fridge and stove that is about 4' long that is spongy. Another area is also spongy. My floor is foam insulation sandwiched between luan. I have read that these floors can get spongy and water does not have to cause it. Is this correct?

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/18 02:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

crawl under your rv .have some one bounce in that area, might theres no under support in that spot. p.s. don,t bounce to hard.

azrving

Quartzsite

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/18 03:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cecilt wrote:

azrving wrote:

The drawer is nothing, hopefully you dont have a foam core floor that gets spongy.

This is what I am dealing with. I have an area in front of my fridge and stove that is about 4' long that is spongy. Another area is also spongy. My floor is foam insulation sandwiched between luan. I have read that these floors can get spongy and water does not have to cause it. Is this correct?

Correct. My son had a Rockwood ultra light with a spongy floor in the same kitchen areas. It's a high traffic area so probably the first places to fail. He took about about a $2000 hit because everyone suspected water damage. An oil worker needing a place to live listened to what I explained and I showed him everything in the rig and web searches for that problem. Price had to be adjusted to dump it. He thought he'd get closer to $8K but settled for $5800

myredracer

Langley B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/18 04:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

midnightsadie wrote:

crawl under your rv .have some one bounce in that area, might theres no under support in that spot. p.s. don,t bounce to hard.
I was at an RV show once looking at a particular make & model TT that just came out with a different and stronger frame. I went inside and was lightly bouncing on the floor to see how much stiffer the floor was when some guy came running in saying "don't do that, you can damage it"!!! [emoticon]

Some of the floors in these things are flimsy right out of the factory and flex a LOT. Combination of floor joists too far apart and subfloor material being too thin. Then add a little water and it can be a disaster. You'd never get away with some of the TT floor designs in building construction.

I hate CAPTCHA. CAPTCHA sux. CAPTCHA is evil. CAPTCHA needs fixing.

Gil, Deb & Dougal the Springer Spaniel
2014 KZ Spree 262RKS, Reese DC WDH
2009 F250 super duty, V10, 8' bed, Hawkshead TPMS

FrankShore

Laguna Beach, CA

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/18 05:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LarryJM wrote:

You were lucky since below is what was originally in our TT.

[image]

Larry

Those are the same drawers that Lance uses. They're just fine in my opinion. Very lightweight and handy!

2014 F-250
2014 Minnie Winnie 2351DKS (Traded In-Burnout-Use A Surge Protector!)
2015 Arctic Fox 22G (Great Trailer But Heavy - Traded In)
2018 Lance 1685 w/ Solar & 4 Seasons Package
1999 Beneteau 461 Oceanis Yacht
En Norski i en Fransk båt - Dette må jeg se!

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/18 09:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cecilt wrote:

azrving wrote:

I bought a ultralight RV with foam core floors and traded after one trip, it did not have enough support.

I took a loss but it was my best option.

You are correct in they don’t need water intrusion to become spongy.

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/18 05:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most lite trailers aren’t really lite! I’ve seen “lite” trailers with dry weights of 7500lbs. I seen one that was 7900lbs! Hardly lite!

And weight isn’t as important a factor as frontal area is!

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

07 Cherokee 32B Dexter EZ Flex
02 Excursion 4X4 V-10 4.30 gear 5Star tuner Y-pipe mod Hellwig sway bar
Reese DualCam Prodigy brake controller

A bad day of camping is
better than a good day at work!

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/12/18 06:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dodge guy wrote:

Most lite trailers aren’t really lite! I’ve seen “lite” trailers with dry weights of 7500lbs. I seen one that was 7900lbs! Hardly lite!

Lite, light, ultra-lite, etc. are only meaningless words used to convince a potential buyer that he can pull that trailer with whatever he has.

Also, those weights on the sticker are usually nonsense as well.

Cecilt

Page

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/12/18 07:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

azrving wrote:

Cecilt wrote:

azrving wrote:

Correct. My son had a Rockwood ultra light with a spongy floor in the same kitchen areas. It's a high traffic area so probably the first places to fail. He took about about a $2000 hit because everyone suspected water damage. An oil worker needing a place to live listened to what I explained and I showed him everything in the rig and web searches for that problem. Price had to be adjusted to dump it. He thought he'd get closer to $8K but settled for $5800

Yep, my fridge and stove or on a slide so the area in front of this when slide gets retracted during travel is very heavy. My concern is resale as well. I take great care of my vehicles and camper and to me this issue will make it very hard to sell and I am not sure how to fix it. I even had a dealer use a moisture meter in the area and it was no different than other areas of the camper that are not spongy. Doubt insurance would cover this since it was not damaged by something. I now put a throw rug down when the slide is deployed just to eliminate a lot of the spongy feel when walking in the area with bare feet.

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/18 07:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FrankShore wrote:

LarryJM wrote:

You were lucky since below is what was originally in our TT.

[image]

Larry

Those are the same drawers that Lance uses. They're just fine in my opinion. Very lightweight and handy!

A cheap out IMO. Spend $$$$$ on a Lance and get no drawers. Open a cabinet every time to get a utensil? Not for me.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> We want cheap and light, we GET cheap and light!!!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS