cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

When to replace tires

rowekmr
Explorer
Explorer
In my previous experience with cars/trucks I replaced tires when they were worn out or in the case of trailers with little use when they were weather checked (or dry rot).

I got a MH last year with tires (22.5) that seem to have the beginning signs of weather checking (small lines on sidewall) but the mechanic that checked them out said they were okay. Another shop that I had work done to MH said the tires were okay. What are your opinions? Are these types of tires that much more robust than passenger/med truck tires?

Thanks
10 Lincoln MKS Ecoboost
07 Lincoln Navigator
00 Newmar Dutch Star 3851
14 REPLIES 14

LVJ58
Explorer
Explorer
The Bridgestones on my coach lasted 10 years still looking good. I recently replaced them as a precautionary measure.

Good luck and safe travels...
Jim & Sherry Seward
Las Vegas, NV
2000 Residency 3790 V-10 w/tags & Banks System
2003 Suzuki XL/7 toad

DRTDEVL
Explorer
Explorer
I actually took the time to dig out pic of my highlighted date code. It makes it so much easier to find later on.
Resurrecting an inherited 1980 Minnie Winnie 20RG from the dead after sitting since 1998..

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a tire snob. I'll run them for as much as 5 years if I've owned them since new and know what they've been through. If I inherit them on a used trailer or coach I'm quicker to pull the trigger on new ones. I figure I've wasted money on much less useful/important things than tires to keep me safe. If I "waste" a bit of money on something so important I can live with it.

Doc15
Explorer
Explorer
When I pull my aged tires of my Foretravel I sell them to loggers and got $80.00 each for my last ones.. There is a market for your pull offs. The money goes a good piece towards you new set.
William

rowekmr
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the info. I put the MH in the shop for other repairs so I didnโ€™t get a chance to look up the date code. I plan to replace them all this summer after the reading the info posted.
10 Lincoln MKS Ecoboost
07 Lincoln Navigator
00 Newmar Dutch Star 3851

catkins
Explorer
Explorer
When buying new tires, be sure to inspect the NEW tire date before installation and be sure they are not older NEW tires. Most ask for tires no more than 6 months past manufacturing date. I do not want to pay huge money for two year old tires. Some tire places will mount the tires so dates are on the inside and difficult to read. I replace mine as soon as any thought of issues enters my thoughts usually around year 6 if tread is still good. First line of safety are those tires.

DRTDEVL
Explorer
Explorer
PRO TIP: When you replace tires (or buy a new coach), use a silver sharpie to "highlight" the codes on the tires. This makes it easier to spot in the future, and will stand out to you as a reminder every time you inspect your coach before, during, and after a trip.
Resurrecting an inherited 1980 Minnie Winnie 20RG from the dead after sitting since 1998..

gonesouth
Explorer
Explorer
The last time I got tires it was for my Beaver and I was a member of the Beaver/Monaco club within FMCA. The better deal on tires paid my Beaver/Monaco dues for 3 or 4 years and the support from club members on maintenance was beyond amazing. The FMCA discount on the tires paid for my FMCA dues and roadside assistance fees.

I see that you have a Newmar.......I don't know if FMCA has a Newmar club but if they do maybe a word to an exec member could get them to investigate getting the Beaver/Monaco deal, too. Or maybe FMCA could get the Beaver/Monaco deal for all FMCA members.
Currently planning for retirement.....planning to build a small home in Nova Scotia for summers and someday year-round. Trying to sort out a good way to spend winters in central Florida as I can't drive anymore.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
1. Most tire mfgs recommend replacement after 7 yrs max.
2. Tire date codes are discussed above. Yes, they usually put them inside.
3. The ONLY way a 22.5 tire can be inspected is from the INSIDE OUT. That means it must be removed from the rim and inspected.
4. Usually, sidewall cracking means the tire is on it's last legs.
5. If you're a FMCA member you can get a nice discount on Michelin/B.F. Goodrich and Continental. ( Thanks Brett ๐Ÿ™‚ )
6. Proper tire inflation will enhance the life of your tires, make your coach ride better and safer. AXLE WEIGH YOUR COACH.
7. Click HERE for weight/inflation table info.
8. Click HERE for all you ever want to know about your tires....BOL ..Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Dennis12
Explorer
Explorer
All tires are dated. If mine goes over 4 years I would rather replace the tires than to have to replace them anyway when the tire blows and now I have to replace the fender wells too when it blows. I was told by an executive from Kelly Springfield tire that if a tire sits a lot that the molecules in the tire stop moving inside the tire and starts the deterioration of the tire. (dry Rotting from the inside out)
Dennis Hoppert

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Please post their age from the full DOT number molded into one sidewall of each tire.

Suspect 99% of RV tires will be replaced because the AGE OUT, not WEAR OUT.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

MrWizard
also different companies rubber compounds, weather differently
Michelin are know to dry and crack get splits in the sidewall, over the years, before the tread wears

many RVs spend to much time sitting in the sun and not enough miles rolling down the road
its the rolling that keeps the carcass/core soft and flexible instead of dead and dry

info needed
brand, model#, date code
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
rowekmr wrote:
In my previous experience with cars/trucks I replaced tires when they were worn out or in the case of trailers with little use when they were weather checked (or dry rot).

I got a MH last year with tires (22.5) that seem to have the beginning signs of weather checking (small lines on sidewall) but the mechanic that checked them out said they were okay. Another shop that I had work done to MH said the tires were okay. What are your opinions? Are these types of tires that much more robust than passenger/med truck tires?

Thanks

Well,
Just so we're all educated on just what make/model/size and year of tires you presently have, it will help us help you make an informed decision. You don't mention anything about the "DOT" mfgr date so, I'm not sure you're aware of it. If not, all tires are required to have a manufacture date on them. It's required by the DOT. Now, normally, that number consists of 4 numbers. And, normally, it's in or very near a oval shaped icon on the side wall of each tire. It's not always visible though. I've seen them on only one side of the tire.

But, if you look for it, you'll see something like, an example will be, "3410". What that deciphers as is, the 34th week of 2010. Or, another one would be say, 4117. That tire was made the 41st week of 2017.

So, you need to find those dates on your tires and report back so we can all know what age of tires we're trying to help you with.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

Trumpet_Player
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a good technical bulletin from Michelin on RV/Motorhome tires. Don't know your particular information, but most manufactures publish information like this.

https://www.michelintruck.com/assets/pdf/bulletins/TB_Service_Life_RV_Tires.pdf

Safe travels.
2012 American Coach Revolution