Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: When to replace tires
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> When to replace tires

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
rowekmr

Chicago

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/10/18 09:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In my previous experience with cars/trucks I replaced tires when they were worn out or in the case of trailers with little use when they were weather checked (or dry rot).

I got a MH last year with tires (22.5) that seem to have the beginning signs of weather checking (small lines on sidewall) but the mechanic that checked them out said they were okay. Another shop that I had work done to MH said the tires were okay. What are your opinions? Are these types of tires that much more robust than passenger/med truck tires?

Thanks

05 Lincoln Navigator
00 Newmar Dutch Star 3855

Trumpet Player

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/10/18 09:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is a good technical bulletin from Michelin on RV/Motorhome tires. Don't know your particular information, but most manufactures publish information like this.

https://www.michelintruck.com/assets/pdf/bulletins/TB_Service_Life_RV_Tires.pdf

Safe travels.

2012 American Coach Revolution

FIRE UP

Lake Havasu City AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/10/18 10:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rowekmr wrote:

In my previous experience with cars/trucks I replaced tires when they were worn out or in the case of trailers with little use when they were weather checked (or dry rot).

I got a MH last year with tires (22.5) that seem to have the beginning signs of weather checking (small lines on sidewall) but the mechanic that checked them out said they were okay. Another shop that I had work done to MH said the tires were okay. What are your opinions? Are these types of tires that much more robust than passenger/med truck tires?

Thanks

Well,
Just so we're all educated on just what make/model/size and year of tires you presently have, it will help us help you make an informed decision. You don't mention anything about the "DOT" mfgr date so, I'm not sure you're aware of it. If not, all tires are required to have a manufacture date on them. It's required by the DOT. Now, normally, that number consists of 4 numbers. And, normally, it's in or very near a oval shaped icon on the side wall of each tire. It's not always visible though. I've seen them on only one side of the tire.

But, if you look for it, you'll see something like, an example will be, "3410". What that deciphers as is, the 34th week of 2010. Or, another one would be say, 4117. That tire was made the 41st week of 2017.

So, you need to find those dates on your tires and report back so we can all know what age of tires we're trying to help you with.
Scott

Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/18 10:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

also different companies rubber compounds, weather differently
Michelin are know to dry and crack get splits in the sidewall, over the years, before the tread wears

many RVs spend to much time sitting in the sun and not enough miles rolling down the road
its the rolling that keeps the carcass/core soft and flexible instead of dead and dry

info needed
brand, model#, date code

Radiate The Happy

Connected using Verizon and AT&T
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

wolfe10

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/18 06:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Please post their age from the full DOT number molded into one sidewall of each tire.

Suspect 99% of RV tires will be replaced because the AGE OUT, not WEAR OUT.

Brett Wolfe
2003 Alpine 38'

FMCA Forum: www.community.fmca.com/index

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Dennis12

Ridgeley WV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/11/18 09:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All tires are dated. If mine goes over 4 years I would rather replace the tires than to have to replace them anyway when the tire blows and now I have to replace the fender wells too when it blows. I was told by an executive from Kelly Springfield tire that if a tire sits a lot that the molecules in the tire stop moving inside the tire and starts the deterioration of the tire. (dry Rotting from the inside out)

Dennis Hoppert

Executive

California/Arizona/South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/18 09:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1. Most tire mfgs recommend replacement after 7 yrs max.
2. Tire date codes are discussed above. Yes, they usually put them inside.
3. The ONLY way a 22.5 tire can be inspected is from the INSIDE OUT. That means it must be removed from the rim and inspected.
4. Usually, sidewall cracking means the tire is on it's last legs.
5. If you're a FMCA member you can get a nice discount on Michelin/B.F. Goodrich and Continental. ( Thanks Brett [emoticon] )
6. Proper tire inflation will enhance the life of your tires, make your coach ride better and safer. AXLE WEIGH YOUR COACH.
7. Click HERE for weight/inflation table info.
8. Click HERE for all you ever want to know about your tires....BOL ..Dennis

* This post was edited 06/11/18 10:29am by Executive *

EDUCATION IS IMPORTANT, BUT CAMPING IS IMPORTANTER!
Dennis and Debi Ninth Year Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

gonesouth

Tatamagouche, NS

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/18 06:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The last time I got tires it was for my Beaver and I was a member of the Beaver/Monaco club within FMCA. The better deal on tires paid my Beaver/Monaco dues for 3 or 4 years and the support from club members on maintenance was beyond amazing. The FMCA discount on the tires paid for my FMCA dues and roadside assistance fees.

I see that you have a Newmar.......I don't know if FMCA has a Newmar club but if they do maybe a word to an exec member could get them to investigate getting the Beaver/Monaco deal, too. Or maybe FMCA could get the Beaver/Monaco deal for all FMCA members.

Currently planning for retirement.....planning to build a small home in Nova Scotia for summers and someday year-round. Trying to sort out a good way to spend winters in central Florida as I can't drive anymore.

DRTDEVL

Las Cruces, NM

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/18 07:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PRO TIP: When you replace tires (or buy a new coach), use a silver sharpie to "highlight" the codes on the tires. This makes it easier to spot in the future, and will stand out to you as a reminder every time you inspect your coach before, during, and after a trip.

Resurrecting an inherited 1980 Minnie Winnie 20RG from the dead after sitting since 1998..

catkins

Western Washington

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/17/18 09:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When buying new tires, be sure to inspect the NEW tire date before installation and be sure they are not older NEW tires. Most ask for tires no more than 6 months past manufacturing date. I do not want to pay huge money for two year old tires. Some tire places will mount the tires so dates are on the inside and difficult to read. I replace mine as soon as any thought of issues enters my thoughts usually around year 6 if tread is still good. First line of safety are those tires.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> When to replace tires
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS