cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

do tire covers really make a difference?

trailernovice
Explorer
Explorer
Here's the issue...our trailer sits, in the heat of very southmost Texas, probably two or three months at a time between uses...would tire covers (on during the weeks of idle period) actually extend the tire life? or do the covers mostly just make the companies that make them rich, without a measurable benefit?

I'd appreciate any thoughts
Glenn and Toni
2019 Jayco JayFlight SLX8 264 BH
2019 Ram 1500 5.7 3.21 gears
Reese round bar w/d with sway control
24 REPLIES 24

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
rbpru wrote:
Since I park my TT in a stand of pines, harsh sun is not an issue. If I had to park in the Phoenix sun, it would be must.

It is the same with car window sun shades. Those that need them use them.
Tires and covers are both consumable items.
IOW, the Sun, especially in Phoenix destroys them...The sun will even deteriorate plastic PVC pipe.

So it comes down to a math question.

Are covers cost effective?
Will they extend the life of the tires so much that the overall cost of tires and covers is less than just buying tires more often.

Everyones calculation will be different.

The more expensive the tires, the more that covers make sense.

If one believes that ST tires actually DO have more UV resistant rubber as the tire makers state,,,, then the case for covering them gets weak, as ST tires tend to be cheaper.

As always, your money, your decision.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
Since I park my TT in a stand of pines, harsh sun is not an issue. If I had to park in the Phoenix sun, it would be must.

It is the same with car window sun shades. Those that need them use them.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Huntindog wrote:
I think they work, but that the dollar math is not favorable.
I have used them. My Michelin XPS RIBS are a lot more money than what most use here. Still, in 2-3 years, the covers are shot. I have not replaced my last set. The short life extension they give me for the tires, is eaten up by the cost of the covers.... The math gets less favorable as the tires get cheaper.

Besides, if you believe the marketing hype the tire manufacturers put out.....ST tires have superior UV resistance.... So covers would have less benefit on ST tires.
I will agree store bought covers don't last very long the sun destroys them.

I made my own for a fraction of the cost and they last longer. I ordered some sunscreen material and made a PVC frame that covers both tires. I used 1 inch PVC with two tee's on the bottom with plastic pipe that fits in front and back of the tires to hold it in place. It's easy to slide in place from a standing position, economical, Lite weight and has held up for several years. When the fabric needs replaced it's easy to put new fabric over the frame.

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Huntindog wrote:
I have used them. My Michelin XPS RIBS are a lot more money than what most use here. Still, in 2-3 years, the covers are shot. I have not replaced my last set. The short life extension they give me for the tires, is eaten up by the cost of the covers.... The math gets less favorable as the tires get cheaper.

Besides, if you believe the marketing hype the tire manufacturers put out.....ST tires have superior UV resistance.... So covers would have less benefit on ST tires.

I'd place a bet that if you took one of those tire covers, drop your pants and cover your keister with it and lay out on a nice sunny day for a few hours, you'll still end up with a rosey red blistered arse. It would just take a little longer. I am not about to try it to prove my theory.

I still use them when I throw the cover on in November until March, but I'm not about to waste my time taking them on and off all summer every time I return from a trip.

The worst sunburn I ever experienced was while wearing a UPF 40 high dollar Columbia fishing shirt......I can buy the UPF 40 Sams Club in house brand shirt for $16 that cooks me to a crisp just as well as the $45 Columbia LOL, It just says Habit instead of Columbia and is probably made in the same factory in Vietnam.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

bowebow
Explorer
Explorer
On the trailer that's stored all the time, tires sit on 2x8 boards tires covered with doubled blue tarp tired with clothes line. 6 years tires look great. Trailer we use , no covers, tires look great. 2014 .
2007gmc duramax 2500hd
2014 V CROSS 30VSK

FrankShore
Explorer
Explorer
My opinion is that you should use them. You're not lining anyones pockets by the purchase of 4 quality tire covers.

Also, don't forget the 4x a year roof maintenance - this is paramount!
2014 F-250
2014 Minnie Winnie 2351DKS (Traded In-Burnout-Use A Surge Protector!)
2015 Arctic Fox 22G (Great Trailer But Heavy - Traded In)
2018 Lance 1685 w/ Solar & 4 Seasons Package
1999 Beneteau 461 Oceanis Yacht
En Norski i en Fransk bรฅt - Dette mรฅ jeg se!

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
myredracer wrote:
colliehauler wrote:
Sun deteriorates the whole rv not just the tires. Dries out the caulking that can lead to water intrusion. Dries out the graphics so they fade and crack. Turns the paint/fiberglass chalky. Shortens the life of the rubber roof. Dries out tires which can lead to cracks and blowouts. Fades the interior. Makes the plastic brittle and prone to cracking. Diminishes the resale value. The further South you are the worse these effects are.

Gee, thanks for that. ๐Ÿ˜ž As I stand back and look at our TT at home, as I have for a few weeks, I keep putting off washing and waxing it. Now I think I won't bother. Resistance is futile and if UV doesn't kill it, water intrusion will anyway. Sigh...
I guess I'm just a ray of sunshine :W. As far North as you are the UV effects are not near as severe. Forgot, fades the awning and makes it brittle as well.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I feel they do. I just replaced the tires on my trailer. The ones that face the south were cracking pretty good compared to the ones on the north side, very minor cracking. This set Iโ€™m going to finally start using the covers Iโ€™ve had forever. We will see how they look in a couple years.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
colliehauler wrote:
Sun deteriorates the whole rv not just the tires. Dries out the caulking that can lead to water intrusion. Dries out the graphics so they fade and crack. Turns the paint/fiberglass chalky. Shortens the life of the rubber roof. Dries out tires which can lead to cracks and blowouts. Fades the interior. Makes the plastic brittle and prone to cracking. Diminishes the resale value. The further South you are the worse these effects are.

Gee, thanks for that. ๐Ÿ˜ž As I stand back and look at our TT at home, as I have for a few weeks, I keep putting off washing and waxing it. Now I think I won't bother. Resistance is futile and if UV doesn't kill it, water intrusion will anyway. Sigh...

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
The car is probably driven daily which keeps the polymers stirred up in the rubber vs a tire on a trailer may sit for weeks....months in the sun without rolling.
Apples vs pickles
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
ADK Camper wrote:
Many people park their car outside from the day they buy it till the day they sell it. I've never known anyone to cover automobile tires parked in the sun. If it's ok for your car I suspect it's ok for your camper.
You might read the posts on UV damage in the above RVtiresafety.net link, which is a blog run by a tire engineer (now retired). Note that ST trailer tires are quite different than passenger car tires and you can't equate performance, life and care between them.

ADK_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
Many people park their car outside from the day they buy it till the day they sell it. I've never known anyone to cover automobile tires parked in the sun. If it's ok for your car I suspect it's ok for your camper.