Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: do tire covers really make a difference?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> do tire covers really make a difference?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
myredracer

Langley B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/18 08:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ditto on RVtiresafety.net. Roger has 3 posts on UV & ozone here.

I hate CAPTCHA. CAPTCHA sux. CAPTCHA is evil. CAPTCHA needs fixing.

Gil, Deb & Dougal the Springer Spaniel
2014 KZ Spree 262RKS, Reese DC WDH
2009 F250 super duty, V10, 8' bed, Hawkshead TPMS

ADK Camper

New york

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/18 03:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Many people park their car outside from the day they buy it till the day they sell it. I've never known anyone to cover automobile tires parked in the sun. If it's ok for your car I suspect it's ok for your camper.

myredracer

Langley B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/18 04:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ADK Camper wrote:

Many people park their car outside from the day they buy it till the day they sell it. I've never known anyone to cover automobile tires parked in the sun. If it's ok for your car I suspect it's ok for your camper.
You might read the posts on UV damage in the above RVtiresafety.net link, which is a blog run by a tire engineer (now retired). Note that ST trailer tires are quite different than passenger car tires and you can't equate performance, life and care between them.

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/18 06:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The car is probably driven daily which keeps the polymers stirred up in the rubber vs a tire on a trailer may sit for weeks....months in the sun without rolling.
Apples vs pickles

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/18 10:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sun deteriorates the whole rv not just the tires. Dries out the caulking that can lead to water intrusion. Dries out the graphics so they fade and crack. Turns the paint/fiberglass chalky. Shortens the life of the rubber roof. Dries out tires which can lead to cracks and blowouts. Fades the interior. Makes the plastic brittle and prone to cracking. Diminishes the resale value. The further South you are the worse these effects are.

myredracer

Langley B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/18 09:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

colliehauler wrote:

Sun deteriorates the whole rv not just the tires. Dries out the caulking that can lead to water intrusion. Dries out the graphics so they fade and crack. Turns the paint/fiberglass chalky. Shortens the life of the rubber roof. Dries out tires which can lead to cracks and blowouts. Fades the interior. Makes the plastic brittle and prone to cracking. Diminishes the resale value. The further South you are the worse these effects are.

Gee, thanks for that. [emoticon] As I stand back and look at our TT at home, as I have for a few weeks, I keep putting off washing and waxing it. Now I think I won't bother. Resistance is futile and if UV doesn't kill it, water intrusion will anyway. Sigh...

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/18 10:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I feel they do. I just replaced the tires on my trailer. The ones that face the south were cracking pretty good compared to the ones on the north side, very minor cracking. This set I’m going to finally start using the covers I’ve had forever. We will see how they look in a couple years.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 16yrs
Daughter Marissa 15yrs
Dog Bailey

07 Cherokee 32B Dexter EZ Flex
02 Excursion 4X4 V-10 4.30 gear 5Star tuner Y-pipe mod Hellwig sway bar
Reese DualCam Prodigy brake controller

A bad day of camping is
better than a good day at work!

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/18 04:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

myredracer wrote:

colliehauler wrote:

Gee, thanks for that. [emoticon] As I stand back and look at our TT at home, as I have for a few weeks, I keep putting off washing and waxing it. Now I think I won't bother. Resistance is futile and if UV doesn't kill it, water intrusion will anyway. Sigh...
I guess I'm just a ray of sunshine [emoticon]. As far North as you are the UV effects are not near as severe. Forgot, fades the awning and makes it brittle as well.

FrankShore

Laguna Beach, CA

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/18 06:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My opinion is that you should use them. You're not lining anyones pockets by the purchase of 4 quality tire covers.

Also, don't forget the 4x a year roof maintenance - this is paramount!

2014 F-250
2014 Minnie Winnie 2351DKS (Traded In-Burnout-Use A Surge Protector!)
2015 Arctic Fox 22G (Great Trailer But Heavy - Traded In)
2018 Lance 1685 w/ Solar & 4 Seasons Package
1999 Beneteau 461 Oceanis Yacht
En Norski i en Fransk båt - Dette må jeg se!

bowebow

resting in Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/12/18 07:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On the trailer that's stored all the time, tires sit on 2x8 boards tires covered with doubled blue tarp tired with clothes line. 6 years tires look great. Trailer we use , no covers, tires look great. 2014 .

2007gmc duramax 2500hd
2014 V CROSS 30VSK

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> do tire covers really make a difference?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS