Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: do tire covers really make a difference?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> do tire covers really make a difference?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/18 03:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think they work, but that the dollar math is not favorable.
I have used them. My Michelin XPS RIBS are a lot more money than what most use here. Still, in 2-3 years, the covers are shot. I have not replaced my last set. The short life extension they give me for the tires, is eaten up by the cost of the covers.... The math gets less favorable as the tires get cheaper.

Besides, if you believe the marketing hype the tire manufacturers put out.....ST tires have superior UV resistance.... So covers would have less benefit on ST tires.

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2010 Palomino Sabre 30 BHDS
84 gal. Grey. 84 gal. Black
2 bathrooms, no waiting
2011 Silverado CC DA big dually.

Ralph Cramden

US

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/18 03:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Huntindog wrote:

I have used them. My Michelin XPS RIBS are a lot more money than what most use here. Still, in 2-3 years, the covers are shot. I have not replaced my last set. The short life extension they give me for the tires, is eaten up by the cost of the covers.... The math gets less favorable as the tires get cheaper.

Besides, if you believe the marketing hype the tire manufacturers put out.....ST tires have superior UV resistance.... So covers would have less benefit on ST tires.

I'd place a bet that if you took one of those tire covers, drop your pants and cover your keister with it and lay out on a nice sunny day for a few hours, you'll still end up with a rosey red blistered arse. It would just take a little longer. I am not about to try it to prove my theory.

I still use them when I throw the cover on in November until March, but I'm not about to waste my time taking them on and off all summer every time I return from a trip.

The worst sunburn I ever experienced was while wearing a UPF 40 high dollar Columbia fishing shirt......I can buy the UPF 40 Sams Club in house brand shirt for $16 that cooks me to a crisp just as well as the $45 Columbia LOL, It just says Habit instead of Columbia and is probably made in the same factory in Vietnam.

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/18 06:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Huntindog wrote:

I will agree store bought covers don't last very long the sun destroys them.

I made my own for a fraction of the cost and they last longer. I ordered some sunscreen material and made a PVC frame that covers both tires. I used 1 inch PVC with two tee's on the bottom with plastic pipe that fits in front and back of the tires to hold it in place. It's easy to slide in place from a standing position, economical, Lite weight and has held up for several years. When the fabric needs replaced it's easy to put new fabric over the frame.

rbpru

North Central Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/16/18 09:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since I park my TT in a stand of pines, harsh sun is not an issue. If I had to park in the Phoenix sun, it would be must.

It is the same with car window sun shades. Those that need them use them.

Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/18 02:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rbpru wrote:

Since I park my TT in a stand of pines, harsh sun is not an issue. If I had to park in the Phoenix sun, it would be must.

It is the same with car window sun shades. Those that need them use them.
Tires and covers are both consumable items.
IOW, the Sun, especially in Phoenix destroys them...The sun will even deteriorate plastic PVC pipe.

So it comes down to a math question.

Are covers cost effective?
Will they extend the life of the tires so much that the overall cost of tires and covers is less than just buying tires more often.

Everyones calculation will be different.

The more expensive the tires, the more that covers make sense.

If one believes that ST tires actually DO have more UV resistant rubber as the tire makers state,,,, then the case for covering them gets weak, as ST tires tend to be cheaper.

As always, your money, your decision.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> do tire covers really make a difference?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS