cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to reattach tent bunk ends to camper?

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone removed their bunk tent end and reattached? I need some advice and tips.

2004 Starcraft 23SRB, doing some cleaning up and work to sell and I've removed the tent end from one bunk for cleaning and repairing a zipper.

The edge of the canvas has a rigid strip (inside the canvas it seems) that slides into the aluminum trim around the bunk opening.

It looks like I should spread this aluminum channel open a little and use a blunt tool to push the canvas into the channel, then tap or squeeze it closed to hold tight.

Alternatively, I could just try to lube and push the canvas into the slot, but not sure how it would hold up. Seems like it would take a lot of pressure and not sure how I will get the angle I need?

If this works out, I plan to remove the other bunk tent end, too. Sooo much easier to clean, what I've done so far looks like new!

Thanks in advance.
5 REPLIES 5

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
Pbois334 wrote:
I remember removing the canvas from a pop up and had to open the aluminum channel enough the thread the canvas back in. But pretty sure u would have had to open it up a little to remove the canvas to begin with, right?

I was able to push/pull the canvas up and out of the slot. It was a firm pull, which is why I'm wondering if I should use a different method to reinstall?

Perhaps I will use a plastic wedge and move it as I install the canvas behind it... 😉

Pbois334
Explorer
Explorer
I remember removing the canvas from a pop up and had to open the aluminum channel enough the thread the canvas back in. But pretty sure u would have had to open it up a little to remove the canvas to begin with, right?

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
parker.rowe wrote:
I've never done one myself, but I have worked with those slotted aluminum strips for tent canvas. I don't believe you are suppose to bend them open before you slide the canvas in.

The ones I've done you just slowly push/pull it in...making sure the canvas is level were it enters the slot at the end.

But your's might be a different design.

Thank you for your reply. If I don't hear differently, that is probably what I'll be doing 😉

parker_rowe
Explorer
Explorer
I've never done one myself, but I have worked with those slotted aluminum strips for tent canvas. I don't believe you are suppose to bend them open before you slide the canvas in.

The ones I've done you just slowly push/pull it in...making sure the canvas is level were it enters the slot at the end.

But your's might be a different design.
2015 Starcraft TravelStar 239TBS 6500 GVWR
1997 GMC Suburban K2500 7.4 Vortec/4.10
1977 Kawasaki KZ1000

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone???