cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Truck Camper adding inverter

computermonkey
Explorer
Explorer
Would like to hear from people on there recent experience on adding an inverter.

My goal. To power a 1350 watt microwave for 10 minutes at max power.
I have two group 27 batteries and a 120 watt solar panel. Wanting to add at least a 3000 watt pure sine inverter.

Would like to know if someone has tried this kind of set up before?
What inverter did you use?
How long could this set up run a microwave?

Appreciate your time and help.
New
2013 RAM Crew Cab, 3500 4x4
2019 Arctic Fox 1140 wet bath
Old
2016 Eagle Cap 960
2004 Jayco Talon ZX
1998 GMC Suburban with a Cummins 6BT conversion.
55 REPLIES 55

Freep
Explorer
Explorer
deltabravo wrote:

(A. Where did you put the inverter and why? )
A: Under the bathroom sink, because that's the only place it would fit and because it's very near the battery bank. Cables are less then 2 feet long

Thanks.

My battery compartment is under the bathroom sink. As I look at it, I realize that if I wire an inverter directly to the batteries I will be bypassing my battery bypass switch. So when I flip that switch I'll still have the inverter connected.

It looks like I'm probably going to have to mount the inverter to the underside of the kitchen counter.
2014 Lance 992
2014 Ram 3500 DRW Turbo diesel

Freep
Explorer
Explorer
jplante4 wrote:
Mover from Truck Campers

I don't think this thread should have been moved to tech issues. Truck campers have more specific space requirements for inverters.
2014 Lance 992

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Freep wrote:

I have a some questions for those who have added inverters to their TCs.

A. Where did you put the inverter and why?
B. What would you do differently?
C. Is it worth getting an inverter with a builtin transfer relay switch?
D. What inverters should I absolutely avoid?

A: Under the bathroom sink, because that's the only place it would fit and because it's very near the battery bank. Cables are less then 2 feet long

B: Nothing

C: Yes, I think so, because it drastically simplifies installation, because all power goes through inverter (from shorepower) meaning I didn't have to add another transfer switch or complicate the AC wiring by adding "inverter only" outlets.

๐Ÿ˜ง I will say what inverters I "will / would" buy: Xantrex, Magnum, Outback Power. I'd also go true sine wave if buying another inverter.

Wiring details for Inverter and Battery monitor

Xantrex Prosine 2.0 Inverter
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Mover from Truck Campers
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

computermonkey
Explorer
Explorer
I am, ordered a remote switch too.
Thanks,
New
Old
2016 Eagle Cap 960
2004 Jayco Talon ZX

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
computermonkey wrote:
Update:
I've decided to go with the AIMS 3000 inverter and the Go Power TS-30 30 Amp Automatic Transfer Switch. This way I do not have to pick and choose which 110 outlet gets the inverter power or install new one.

More to come.

With your stated config, be sure to shut down the converter charger and switch the refer back to LPG.

computermonkey
Explorer
Explorer
Update:
I've decided to go with the AIMS 3000 inverter and the Go Power TS-30 30 Amp Automatic Transfer Switch. This way I do not have to pick and choose which 110 outlet gets the inverter power or install new one.

More to come.
New
Old
2016 Eagle Cap 960
2004 Jayco Talon ZX

Travels_with_Yo
Explorer
Explorer
I run a 1500W inverter from a single 100AH AGM battery. The inverter is connected with a 12 inch long ground 2AWG cable and an 18 inch long 2AWG positive cable. It is used mainly to run an 80W compressor fridge while driving. The battery charges from the truck alternator while driving so it's always at full charge when we get to where we're going. We also use it to power a PS4 and a 25 inch LED flat screen as well as 2 power supplies for our laptops for our evening's entertainment. One of these days I'm going to try and power our 700W microwave for a couple minutes with it ๐Ÿ™‚ We also have a EU2000i but don't always have control of where or when we can run it.

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
This is the inverter I am using. I bought it on Amazon, and it was about $200. The price was attractive and I like red. Oh yeah, itโ€™s pure sine, too. Unless it dies an early death, Iโ€™m happy as a clam with it.

I put it here, just above the step into the cabover bed. My 18 year old TC has a battery box big enough for ONE group 31 battery. There isnโ€™t a good place to add extra batteries without doing major remodeling, so my goal has been to make the most of what I have. The route the cables needed to take to reach the battery made them just under 6 feet long. Iโ€™m using 0 AWG Temco fine strand welding cable with crimped lugs. Itโ€™s very flexible and easy to work with.

I also cleaned up the wiring in the battery box by adding buss bars just outside the box to make the connections that were all on the battery posts. The battery box is on the other side of this panel I made.

If the converter in your camper includes a smart battery charging unit, then I donโ€™t think a hybrid inverter Is really necessary to get some load sharing, because your generator or solar system is going to do whatever it can do through the battery charger or solar controller when youโ€™re using the inverter anyway.

I donโ€™t want the inverter trying to power anything I donโ€™t have plugged directly in to it, so I didnโ€™t buy one with a transfer switch.

The inverter is used to run the microwave when shore power isnโ€™t available, and to run the fridge in AC mode while driving. Most of the time (>95% of the time) when weโ€™re dry camping, the Yamaha 1000 is running in the evenings anyway. I donโ€™t want to have to start the big Generac thatโ€™s built in to the camper just to use the microwave for a few minutes. The microwave will run off the inverter for nearly an hour if the Yamaha is helping to support the load. If the battery is at full charge, it will run the microwave at least 15-20 minutes on its own.

The cabling is obviously very important. The cable I used doesnโ€™t even get warm when pulling almost 100 amps from the battery continuously.

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

You may find the 3012 a bit better buy than the 2800 and it is hybrid as well, which makes it ideal for the times where there is only 15 amp shore power, or a generator.

I mounted mine behind the driver's seat, because there was enough space to do so, and it is right above the OEM battery bank. I use the inverter as a "whole house" but do have one "dedicated" inverter outlet in the Kitchen. That outlet has a circuit breaker on it (20 amps). I use thirty amp plugs so I can "patch around" the inverter. That proves useful when I come across shore power with GFCI. Some of those do NOT like the Magnum and trip immediately. However, I can not do "double conversion" with the Magnum as the inrush current blows the reverse polarity fuses in the OEM PD converter. I get around that by temporarily disconnecting the converter, if I have a load greater than 15 amps I wish to run.

What I would do differently:
I would use larger wire than #10 on the 120 volt side.

Transfer switches:
I don't prefer transfer switches but with the Magnum hybrid there is no choice, as it is built in. I try to not plug in with any items on to reduce arching inside the switch.

Inverters to avoid:
Many of the Chinese PSW inverters are suspect.

Freep wrote:

This thread got me looking at inverters again and this post had me looking at Magnums... pricey.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

srschang
Nomad
Nomad
I installed the inverter in a small storage compartment right above the battery compartment. I ran 4/0 cable from the batteries to the inverter, it is either 2' or 3' runs. The inverter is a Xantrex PROWatt 2000, I think it was about $400.

I don't use a transfer relay switch in my setup. I wired a dedicated outlet to the inverter, and use that whenever I'm using the inverter. I guess I like to know when I'm drawing off the batteries. I figured if the shore power came unhooked or went out for some reason, I didn't want the inverter to kick in and start drawing on the batteries without me noticing.

The outlet is in a central location, reachable by the Keurig or the wife's hairdryer. If I want to run the microwave, I have to use an extension cord.

2022 Ram 3500 Dually Crewcab Longbed Cummins, 2019 Northstar 12 STC

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
Freep wrote:
work2much wrote:
Yes, we have a 2800 watt magnum inverter that powers the entire camper. I believe you will see too much voltage sag with only 2 group 27 batteries.

This thread got me looking at inverters again and this post had me looking at Magnums... pricey.

I mounted the inverter in the battery compartment. The battery bank is in the genset compartment. The inverter has a transfer switch eliminating the need for the stock transfer switch. I recommend magnum and victron for large inverters. Aims is reported to be good unit as well and less pricey.
2022 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

Freep
Explorer
Explorer
work2much wrote:
Yes, we have a 2800 watt magnum inverter that powers the entire camper. I believe you will see too much voltage sag with only 2 group 27 batteries.

2014 Lance 992

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
Thatโ€™s not quite the point I was making.
I didnโ€™t mean that small solar panel will increase the max output any significant amount. Youโ€™re right, the batteries will be doing all the heavy lifting.
I meant you might get ten minutes of cumulative total microwave use if itโ€™s all in short one or two minute bursts with the solar recharging the batteries in between.
Depending, of course, on how long it is between those uses of the micro.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.