Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Truck Camper adding inverter
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Truck Camper adding inverter

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
2oldman

Quartzsite

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/18 07:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A 120w solar panel isn't going to help much - if that's the idea.

On a really good day you may see 9a from the panel, while the MW will be drawing in the neighborhood of 100a. It will take the panel 2-3 hours in full sun to replace that energy.

You've chosen an inverter with a good price, but not sure it's real good quality. If you're going to be doing a lot of this I'd suggest moving up to the comparable GoPower. AIMS doesn't have a great reputation.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/18 11:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Which inverter do you have?

NRALIFR wrote:

I’ve run the microwave from the inverter long enough to cook a frozen dinner just to see if it could do it. Most of the time though, if I need to use the inverter for the microwave my Yamaha 1000 is already running and will supply about half the current. The camper battery supplies the other half. I’ve run it like that for nearly an hour before the camper battery was down to 50%. The Yamaha can’t run the microwave by itself, which is why I installed the inverter.

[emoticon][emoticon]

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/18 05:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The brand name on the inverter is Novopal. The exact inverter I bought on Amazon is no longer available, but it’s physically and spec’s are identical to this one. I suspect it’s made in the same Chinese plant.

Edecoa 1500 PSW Inverter

The only difference on mine is the remote switch is a simple mechanical on/off switch, where this one has an LCD panel which looks nice but does draw a little power. I haven’t looked at the output waveform with a scope, but everything with digital controls I’ve plugged into it has run fine, and I’ve verified that the idle current draw is .5 amp. It’s very quiet, the fans are on/off and speed controlled depending on the cooling needs. With light use, the fans hardly run at all. When running at highest speed they aren’t annoying screamers like some inverters I’ve had.

I’ve been using it for about a year.

[emoticon][emoticon]

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/12/18 06:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It seems to me that some compromises are in order when traveling. With years of RV living, we have only tried to use the microwave a handful of times. For a while my wife made batches of semi-instant polenta that required the microwave so I had to run the generator once a week for 10 minutes. We both decided that store bought polenta was way more convenient and just as good. We also gave up the polenta fad and only get it once in a long time.

At home it seems we use the microwave numerous times a day mainly just to reheat coffee. Traveling we keep excess morning coffee in a thermos or we make fresh coffee with our melitta filter using hot water from heated on the propane stove.

I don't want to tell anyone how to live when traveling, but I cannot help but wonder what is so important about the need for a microwave when it will chew up lots of battery power and require a large invertor.

dirtyhandz

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/18 06:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ditto what JimK-NY just said!
We actually just pulled the microwave out of our TC this year and havnt wished it was there not even once. The extra storage space sure is nice!

computermonkey

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/18 06:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's my preference.

2013 RAM 3500 Crew Cab 4x4
2016 Eagle Cap 960
Old
2004 Jayco Talon ZX
1998 2500 Suburban with Cummins 6BT

srschang

Western NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/12/18 07:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Late last year I added new batteries, an inverter, and solar to my TC. Basically I wanted to make coffee with our Keurig each morning and enable my wife to dry her hair after her daily shower. I have two Lifeline 125 AH batteries, a 2000 watt Xantrex inverter, and 4 Renogy 100w solar panels. It works great for what I wanted. We can make coffee and dry hair from the inverter, and the solar charges things back up during the day. Making a couple cups of coffee and drying hair only takes the batteries from 100% down to 93 or 94%. We can also run the microwave off the inverter outlet, but don't use it too much.

I also took out the 3 way fridge and installed a 12v compressor fridge. I could never keep the 3 way fridge running on propane while going down the road, and usually had a 55 degree fridge by the end of the day. We rarely camp in a spot more than one day, prefer to be moving on, and the compressor fridge meets our needs much better than the 3 way did.

* This post was edited 06/12/18 07:22am by srschang *

2015 Ram 3500 SRW diesel, 2003 Travelite

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/18 07:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JimK-NY wrote:

It seems to me that some compromises are in order when traveling. With years of RV living, we have only tried to use the microwave a handful of times. For a while my wife made batches of semi-instant polenta that required the microwave so I had to run the generator once a week for 10 minutes. We both decided that store bought polenta was way more convenient and just as good. We also gave up the polenta fad and only get it once in a long time.

At home it seems we use the microwave numerous times a day mainly just to reheat coffee. Traveling we keep excess morning coffee in a thermos or we make fresh coffee with our melitta filter using hot water from heated on the propane stove.

I don't want to tell anyone how to live when traveling, but I cannot help but wonder what is so important about the need for a microwave when it will chew up lots of battery power and require a large invertor.

I did make some compromises. I pulled out the old microwave that required more power, had a digital control pad and a clock that was never set right and bought the lowest power model I could find with analog controls (twisty knobs). Cooking isn’t a central part of traveling for us. We both want it as quick and easy as possible. Microwave fills that need perfectly for us. We use it a lot, and it’s never for reheating coffee. Using the stovetop and oven is the last choice for us, especially in the summer months. If I was going to pull anything out for the storage space it would be that, but I don’t need more storage.

[emoticon][emoticon]

manwithoutoption

earth

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/18 08:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

computermonkey wrote:

Thanks everyone.

I'm going off the label on the microwave for power draw.

I'm not sure what the length is from the batteries to the where I'm thinking of mounting the inventer. I will need to take the camper off the truck to get to it.

This is the inventer that I'm looking at: https://www.amazon.com/AIMS-3000-Watt-Power-Inverter/dp/B01E3V673A

I understand there is a lot of variables, condition/age of batteries, amount of charge, and how much wattage the solar panel is putting out.

I have a 150 watt solar panel. Some reason I was thinking 120.

Thanks for the welcome. We first had a Jayco Talon ZX toy hauler that we pulled with a 98 GMC suburban that I had done a Cummins engine swap about eight years ago. We sold the toy hauler about five years ago and have been deciding what to do. We take trips to Colorado a few times and have stopped by a Lance and last year a Arctic fox dealer. This winter my wife was browsing the internet and came across a 2013 Ram crew cab one ton long bed (10600 miles) with a Eagle Cap camper. Both had been kept inside. Anyways fast forward to now.

Hey I've looking at the same inverter/charger. I just want you to know that the 3000watt version has idle power consumption of 55watts, as oppose to 25watt from the 2000watt version. It is rather signification. Imagine you are sleeping and running your dehumidifier over 10 hours. The 3000 watt version will impose 300WattHr more energy over the 2000 watt version. Why spend more money so your inverter can be less efficient, require cable upgrade for the maximum capacity and chances are you don't even need the additional capacity?

computermonkey

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/18 09:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That is a good information to note. Thank you.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Truck Camper adding inverter
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS