Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Truck Camper adding inverter
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Truck Camper adding inverter

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/18 09:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

My goal. To power a 1350 watt microwave for 10 minutes at max power.
I have two group 27 batteries and a 120 watt solar panel. Wanting to add at least a 3000 watt pure sine inverter.

According to Don Rowe's calculator your two group 27 batteries at 100 AH each will run your 1325 watt microwave for .74 hours.

Scroll down to calculator

Very generic but an idea of run time.

'94 Ford F-350 DRW/460 EFI(91K miles)/Lance 9.6/Happijac's/Helwig SB/Reese solid bar extension/Firestone bags and siped AT3's.

Freep

Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/18 09:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

manwithoutoption wrote:

The 3000 watt version will impose 300WattHr more energy over the 2000 watt version. Why spend more money so your inverter can be less efficient, require cable upgrade for the maximum capacity and chances are you don't even need the additional capacity?

Oddly enough the 2000 watt version is 50 dollars more than the 3000 watt version.

2014 Lance 992
2014 Ram 3500 DRW Turbo diesel

computermonkey

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/18 09:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jaycocreek wrote:

According to Don Rowe's calculator your two group 27 batteries at 100 AH each will run your 1325 watt microwave for .74 hours.

Scroll down to calculator

Very generic but an idea of run time.

Nice

2013 RAM 3500 Crew Cab 4x4
2016 Eagle Cap 960
Old
2004 Jayco Talon ZX
1998 2500 Suburban with Cummins 6BT

Freep

Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/18 10:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don Rowe's calculator is interesting.

How would I go about determining the amount of drive time I would need in order to recharge my batteries? We don't stay in any place more than a day or two and will generally drive a few hours between campsites at a minimum.

I ask because I only use the gen occasionally for running the MW and if install an inverter, I don't think I will need to lug around a generator. Might as well take it out and reclaim the space for batteries. Right now I have a couple of Lifeline GPL-31XT batteries and a 90W panel on the roof. But the batteries are always 100% when we arrive at a campsite. Saturday night we were camping and the battery readout never dipped below 100%. This was after dropping jacks, opening the slide outs, listening to the radio, using the water pump and charging our phones.

2oldman

Quartzsite

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/18 10:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jaycocreek wrote:

According to Don Rowe's calculator your two group 27 batteries at 100 AH each will run your 1325 watt microwave for .74 hours..
Theoretically. No mention is made of Peukert's law, which is significant with just 2 batteries and a large draw.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/18 11:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Side note, with generators getting cheaper and cheaper I don't think I would do the big inverter again.
I have smaller microwave in my camper and I was able to run it on 800W generator I bought at Harborfreight for 70 bucks. As well as my coffeemaker.
The 2-cycle engine on HF generator is a bit annoying, but few months ago a member here gave great tip and I add $1000 W inverter generator to my stable for $150.
Why hassle with big batteries, big solar and inverters when 19 lb generator does it for pennies?
Sportsman generator on sale again

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/18 02:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

There is no mention of this being a hybrid unit. So how are you combining power from the generator and the inverter?

Or do you have the generator powering only the converter?

NRALIFR wrote:

The brand name on the inverter is Novopal. The exact inverter I bought on Amazon is no longer available, but it’s physically and spec’s are identical to this one. I suspect it’s made in the same Chinese plant.

Edecoa 1500 PSW Inverter

The only difference on mine is the remote switch is a simple mechanical on/off switch, where this one has an LCD panel which looks nice but does draw a little power. I haven’t looked at the output waveform with a scope, but everything with digital controls I’ve plugged into it has run fine, and I’ve verified that the idle current draw is .5 amp. It’s very quiet, the fans are on/off and speed controlled depending on the cooling needs. With light use, the fans hardly run at all. When running at highest speed they aren’t annoying screamers like some inverters I’ve had.

I’ve been using it for about a year.

[emoticon][emoticon]

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/18 04:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

Hi,

There is no mention of this being a hybrid unit. So how are you combining power from the generator and the inverter?

Or do you have the generator powering only the converter?

Yes, the generator is powering only the converter. I can confirm the generator+converter and inverter+camper battery are sharing the load with my Trimetric.

My assumption was that the 45 amp battery charger side of the converter was doing all the work.

[emoticon][emoticon]

* This post was edited 06/12/18 04:24pm by NRALIFR *

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450

Freep

Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/18 09:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

Why hassle with big batteries, big solar and inverters when 19 lb generator does it for pennies?

Noise.

computermonkey

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/18 04:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's space for me.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Truck Camper adding inverter
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS