Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Honda generator hour meter for oil change time
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Honda generator hour meter for oil change time

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
path1

Varies with weather

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/18 01:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm thinking about installing a hour meter to keep track of hours between oil changes. Lots are available...but as with anything you buy some are better than others. Anybody have one that they are happy with?
If so what did you get? Make and model and how hard to install.

Thanks

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/18 03:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not to hijack but on this topic, Honda 2000s have a built in hour meter, but it only tracks in 100hour increments. Every time you start the generator, the number of times the green light blinks corresponds to the # of hours x 100. IE: 3 blinks = 300-399hours.

For closer monitoring, imo, these generators are not finicky. I’ve seen some on the job (that didn’t get stolen, most of them get stolen though) with 1000hours on them and they get few to 0 oil changes. Usually generators on the job yet oil changed by the run out method. Low oil warning shuts it off, after laborer #1,2 and 3 all pull on the recoil about 178 times they break the recoil rope. Then they call the boss and say it died then the rope broke. Only after fixing the rope and pulling on it 33more times does someone check the oil, see that there’s none in there. Fill it up until it’s spilling out the hole, jam the fill plug back in and fire it up. That scenario gets repeated again the next time it runs out of oil.
What I’m trying to say is it’s hard to kill a Honda generator. I’ve seen about 10 die of old age, 50 used as traction by a front end loader or excavator and 100 are stolen and sold at the local pawn shop!

Personally if you’re using it more than enough to just change the oil annually, I’d just approximate 40-50 hours and change it. It takes like 10 min and $4 worth of oil.

03 Arctic Fox 860
07 Dodge 2500 deezul

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/11/18 03:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Changes are supposed to be done at 6 months or 100 hours. It seems pretty easy to estimate the run time. I change oil much more frequently anyway.

path1

Varies with weather

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/18 04:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

Not to hijack but on this topic, Honda 2000s have a built in hour meter, but it only tracks in 100hour increments. Every time you start the generator, the number of times the green light blinks corresponds to the # of hours x 100. IE: 3 blinks = 300-399hours.

For closer monitoring, imo, these generators are not finicky. I’ve seen some on the job (that didn’t get stolen, most of them get stolen though) with 1000hours on them and they get few to 0 oil changes. Usually generators on the job yet oil changed by the run out method. Low oil warning shuts it off, after laborer #1,2 and 3 all pull on the recoil about 178 times they break the recoil rope. Then they call the boss and say it died then the rope broke. Only after fixing the rope and pulling on it 33more times does someone check the oil, see that there’s none in there. Fill it up until it’s spilling out the hole, jam the fill plug back in and fire it up. That scenario gets repeated again the next time it runs out of oil.
What I’m trying to say is it’s hard to kill a Honda generator. I’ve seen about 10 die of old age, 50 used as traction by a front end loader or excavator and 100 are stolen and sold at the local pawn shop!

Personally if you’re using it more than enough to just change the oil annually, I’d just approximate 40-50 hours and change it. It takes like 10 min and $4 worth of oil.

Op here...thanks.....I never knew that and never looked. Just got the thing because old one grew legs. Never looked at the light as I'm pulling the cord.

Thanks again...

path1

Varies with weather

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/18 04:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JimK-NY wrote:

Changes are supposed to be done at 6 months or 100 hours. It seems pretty easy to estimate the run time. I change oil much more frequently anyway.

Thanks...I thought it was 30 hours or once a year. Was in process of printing out owners manual and ran out of ink in printer cartridge[emoticon]

Thanks again

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/18 04:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

path1 depends on the genny. My Yamaha suggests every 50 hours.

Regards, Don
Full Time in a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

firemedic1992

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/11/18 04:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’ve used This and it works great!

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/18 12:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yeah, 100 hours is a lot/too much despite what I said above. Typical small utility engines like mowers and generators usually reccomended to be changed at 25-30 hours.
And I'd be ok with about 50 hours with good synthetic oil.

SoundGuy

S Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/18 05:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

path1 wrote:

I'm thinking about installing a hour meter to keep track of hours between oil changes. Lots are available...but as with anything you buy some are better than others. Anybody have one that they are happy with?
If so what did you get? Make and model and how hard to install.

I just bought the first hour meter I found on Amazon, like this ... drilled a small hole in the top of the genset case, ran the sense wire through it, and wrapped it around the spark plug wire. It worked fine, was easier to see than Honda's blinking light system, and is obviously more accurate. [emoticon]

[image]

2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2012 Chevy Silverado CC 5.3L 4x4

JaxDad

Greater Toronto Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/12/18 05:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Get a grease pencil, put a little line on the generator each time you refill it.

[image]

Each tank full of gas represents X hours of runtime multiplied by the number of hash marks.

Very simple, very accurate.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Honda generator hour meter for oil change time
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS