Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Honda generator hour meter for oil change time
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Honda generator hour meter for oil change time

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
path1

Varies with weather

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/18 08:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Love it... haven't seen that method since watching old western on tv, and counting days in jail. It cheered up my day.
Thanks

path1

Varies with weather

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/18 08:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SoundGuy wrote:

path1 wrote:

I'm thinking about installing a hour meter to keep track of hours between oil changes. Lots are available...but as with anything you buy some are better than others. Anybody have one that they are happy with?
If so what did you get? Make and model and how hard to install.

I just bought the first hour meter I found on Amazon, like this ... drilled a small hole in the top of the genset case, ran the sense wire through it, and wrapped it around the spark plug wire. It worked fine, was easier to see than Honda's blinking light system, and is obviously more accurate. [emoticon]

[image]

Thanks...i
I have your granny box design saved for future use

Thanks

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/18 11:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jax dad wins idea of the week!

03 Arctic Fox 860
07 Dodge 2500 deezul

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/18 01:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

That would be fine for a constant speed generator--but for the inverter generators with the eco switch on, the spark plug method is perhaps more useful.
JaxDad wrote:

Get a grease pencil, put a little line on the generator each time you refill it.

Each tank full of gas represents X hours of runtime multiplied by the number of hash marks.

Very simple, very accurate.

Regards, Don
Full Time in a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

JaxDad

Greater Toronto Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/12/18 04:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

Hi,

That would be fine for a constant speed generator--but for the inverter generators with the eco switch on, the spark plug method is perhaps more useful.
JaxDad wrote:

Get a grease pencil, put a little line on the generator each time you refill it.

Each tank full of gas represents X hours of runtime multiplied by the number of hash marks.

Don, I’m confused, hours based on a meter will be counting idle hours the same as WOT hours. How is that different than fuel consumption which also counts (presumably the same) blend of ‘eco time’ and WOT?

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/18 05:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Perhaps I am wrong but the spark plug firing twice as often may cause the "hour" meter to advance faster than at the lowest speed?

The reason for the hour meter is to better judge when an oil change is due? Yes? No? (maybe?).

That's why I got one that advances via the spark plug. At least I hope it does.... Heck I have NO idea. lol

JaxDad wrote:

pianotuna wrote:

Hi,

JaxDad wrote:

Don, I’m confused, hours based on a meter will be counting idle hours the same as WOT hours. How is that different than fuel consumption which also counts (presumably the same) blend of ‘eco time’ and WOT?

sparkydave

Macedonia, OH

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/18 11:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

Perhaps I am wrong but the spark plug firing twice as often may cause the "hour" meter to advance faster than at the lowest speed?

The reason for the hour meter is to better judge when an oil change is due? Yes? No? (maybe?).

That's why I got one that advances via the spark plug. At least I hope it does.... Heck I have NO idea. lol

Those hourmeters only sense the spark plug firing to know when the engine is running, then the hours increment based on a watch crystal, not the number of times the spark plug fired.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Honda generator hour meter for oil change time
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS