Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Spare Parts
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Spare Parts

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
DoberGirl50

Dallas

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/18 02:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello all! Now that the honeymoon phase has worn off with my new TT, my fiancé and I were talking about the spare parts we should always carry. He knew someone who couldn't tow his TT home because the slide wouldn't go back in. What are some of the spare parts you recommend we always carry for things like that?

Dick_B

Palos Heights, IL USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/11/18 02:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While you are waiting you might search this Forum for `spare parts' perhaps only in the TT section.
We carry two full size mounted spare tires for the RV but I doubt there is anyone else that does that.

Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Trackrig

Spent the summer in Conconuly, Wa, MH now in Vanco

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/18 02:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't think there's a lot of spare parts needed for a TT.

1. 1 set of wheel bearings and the tools/grease to change them
2. An assortment of fuses
3. A spare door key kept outside of the TT
4. Spare pins or clips for the WD hitch
5. Spare shear pins for the slide and a wrench to crank it in and out
6. A couple of spare light bulbs and tail light bulbs

Bill

Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

drsteve

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/18 03:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Read your owner's literature for the slide and electric awning and know what to do, and what tools you need to do it, when they don't function as intended.

2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/18 03:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Make a list of the 12 volt DC fuses, buy the appropriate ones.
Lamps, go through rig and write down bulb numbers, carry spares. Don't forget tail/brake lights
Tools will be next issue to make list of.
Test light
Multi-tip screwdriver
lug wrench that fits
Jack
Air pressure gauge

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/18 03:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

aqnd every body should have two rolls of GOOD DUCK TAPE. not the cheapie stuff.

path1

Varies with weather

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/18 03:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good info posted above. IMO one of the most valuable and best things to us is to make up your own "owners manual". Not the OEM's but your own that you have either online or in a notebook binder that has every thing in your RV with a separate tab. Within the tab or section...you have downloaded and or printed out everything you could find out about a certain item. Example... on mine about 6th tab in is our slide out. I have oem "owners manual and the trouble shooting guide, size and location of the fuse, size of the pins and type and size of motor, along with any maintenance items required. (As you come across any maintenance items add them to your maintenance check list).

So when does all this come in handy in real life. (because it was a pain time wise to make up our binder) For us one time... we got ready to hook up and leave and I hit the "up" button to lift the trailer jack leg and it didn't move. Got out our "book" and turned to the trailer jack tab. On the oems "trouble shooting" guide it said to the check fuse (that was right after checking I had 12 volts to motor, which also means also carry a volt meter) as it turned out the switch was bad. So I just used hand crank to raise the leg. (By the way I knew exacting where jack handle was stored by my notes) Called a couple rv places that we knew we would be going by in our travels. By looking at the info I gathered on jack, was able to give brand and part I needed. Actually took a pic and texted the RV place. They texted back and said they had in switch in stock. Didn't have to mess around with rv place trouble shooting the jack or trying to sell me a new one.

While making up your binder is not new and I did put if off many times, what convinced me was some people that their water pump didn't work and they had no idea what to do or even where pump was located. You don't have to be a "master" mechanic" by any means but being at the mercy of others is not a good feeling either.

MitchF150

Puyallup, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/18 06:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For me it's carrying a variety of tools that can handle different situations that I know I can fix on the road.. Too many to list that I take, so take whatever you know how to use and what you think would be handy to have...

I also carry a small floor jack, bottle jack, jack stands. Spare tire for the trailer and the truck of course.. A 12v air compressor, 120v battery charger and a battery load tester. A variety of fuses for the truck and trailer..

I carry way too much stuff that I have never needed to use.. But, in the end, I just like taking it because the last thing I want to say when I'm on the side of the road is "well ****.. I have that at home.."

Good luck!

Mitch

2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2003 Prowler Lynx 722F #5000 GVWR and weighs every bit of it! "> Happy Camping!

DoberGirl50

Dallas

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/18 04:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

path1 wrote:

While making up your binder is not new and I did put if off many times, what convinced me was some people that their water pump didn't work and they had no idea what to do or even where pump was located. You don't have to be a "master" mechanic" by any means but being at the mercy of others is not a good feeling either.

Luckily my fiancé is a bit of a McGyver. He claims he can fix anything and so far he seems to be correct. :-) This weekend, we were on the water in his boat and the water pump to fill up his fat sack stopped working. He re-wired it with no tools or tape in about 5 minutes and it worked fine. On the other hand, on the way home he had a blow out on his boat trailer. Guess what? No spare tire. I mean, whut? LOL

DoberGirl50

Dallas

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/18 04:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MitchF150 wrote:

I carry way too much stuff that I have never needed to use.. But, in the end, I just like taking it because the last thing I want to say when I'm on the side of the road is "well ****.. I have that at home.."

Good luck!

Mitch

I see you live in Puyallup. I lived in Seattle for a while. Really miss it. Missing the cooler temps right about now.

I agree it's way better to have more tools and parts than you need. You just never know.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Spare Parts
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS