Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Slight dripple of water from side sliding window at dinette
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Slight dripple of water from side sliding window at dinette

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
VA-Apraisr

glen allen, VA

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/18 03:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2004 Fourwinds 5000. I made sure the outside drip slits were clear by spraying hose into each slot to get out pollen/leaves that tend to build up over time. Only on heavy rain do I get a few leaks running down the paneling into the dinette couch. Outside looks normal but think its just overflowing along the window guide as the outside water tries to drain out the slits and some overflows into camper. Should I try and remove interior screws holding window in and try a bead of sealant? Seems the next logic step but wanted some expert advise from the knowledgeable panel on this site! I've heard its never a good idea to seal the outside windows and drain slits completely, but verification would also be nice to hear. Thanks in advance!

wolfe10

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/18 03:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do NOT seal the outside drain slits. If the track/slits are clean, hard to fathom that they allow water into the interior.

Please verify that the water leak is from the glass area, not from the perimeter of the window.

Brett Wolfe
2003 Alpine 38'

FMCA Forum: www.community.fmca.com/index

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

path1

Varies with weather

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/18 04:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't seal weep hole drains, just make sure they are clean so they do as intended...let the water drain out.

I would pull a screw at top on each corner and see if they are little bit rusty or a hole bunch rusty. If a bunch of rust, could be time to re-seal the window FRAME (not window to window frame, but window frame to the window cut out in the rv) Lots of youtube vids if that's the case.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/18 04:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is no such thing as a slight leak. Water is the ENEMY.

Regards, Don
Full Time in a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

VA-Apraisr

glen allen, VA

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/18 06:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Think I found the problem....rubber seal on outside at bottom of window track (the one that removable) that keeps window in the track has shrunk from sunlight/age and will need replacing. I put 50% pliable black sealant (stays 50% flexible even when dry) along the 1-2" gap until I can find replacement. Guessing this gap was allowing too much water running down the side to overflow the drainage trough/weep holes and spill into the camper. Don't worry; didn't fill the drainage trough or weep holes. I'll use a hose tomorrow when it dries to see if this was the culprit.

Juzaxadar

NC

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/18 07:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is this the one you're talking about? It keeps the majority of the water out of the track and the rest goes out through the drain hole. I'd like to know where to find this stuff if anyone has a source.
[image]

2000 Minnie 31C V10

VA-Apraisr

glen allen, VA

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/18 01:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yep......that's what I'm talking about and was going to ask if someone knew where to buy a replacement roll of this so I could cut-to-length as needed. I think filling the gap that was there should assist for the time being keeping an overflow situation from happening again. Thanks for the photo!

bukhrn

Lanexa, Va

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/12/18 01:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would try your local dealer, if he doesn't have it in stock, he certainly can order it for you.

2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund
You can have my RV, when you pry my cold dead fingers from the Steering Wheel

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Slight dripple of water from side sliding window at dinette
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS