cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Musty smell in mattresses

CampinGramy
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought a 2002 Rockwood Roo. I have previously owned a Coleman Pop up and a Pilgrim 27' travel trailer (bought new). My new camper has musty smelling mattresses and seat/back cushions. I have removed all the seat/back covers and washed them but the covers do not come off of the mattresses. Is there any way to help rid the smell from the cushions & mattresses? Have already used LOTS of Febreeze with no impact. Thanks, Becky
Becky
Introducing a new generation to camping!
11 REPLIES 11

Chuck_S
Explorer
Explorer
It's not a bad drive from Cincy to "metro-Goshen" Indiana where all these are made. Contact Forest River and inquire about a new set of mattresses AND cushions. I forget who makes these but they're down the road from the factory.

Trailer up, get new stuff, go camping up there. Tour the factory too.

They gave me a whopping military discount a couple of years ago when I replaced the front bed door. Not a piddling 10% like Home Depot.

-- Chuck
'06 Roo 23SS behind '17 Expedition out of Richmond
Our Photo pages

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
I would first try putting them in the sun and letting them sit all day in the bright sunshine. Then, if that doesn't work....buy new ones.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
I would first try putting them in the sun and letting them sit all day in the bright sunshine. Then, if that doesn't work....buy new ones.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

CampinGramy
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone. I figured there was no way to remove the smells in the foam, but didn't hurt to ask!
Becky
Introducing a new generation to camping!

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Replace. Try as you may, the odors will never be completely gone, unless you can submerge the entire mattress in a lake filled with enzyme eaters.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
You can try anything and throw money at 'cures' but in the end, better to replace. Myself, the only time I sleep on someone else's bedding is in a motel. Replace it and move on.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
Try an Ozone generator set on high for a couple weeks with everything closed up. Ozone is O3 oxygen. Instead of O2 like we breathe, the extra atom of oxygen wants to bond with mold and that burns it up. I've had great success doing this on areas where carpet got wet and had mold/mildew. Amazon sells them.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
MitchF150 wrote:
Sounds like you have done what you could with what you have, but I'd be looking at new stuff now..

Good luck!

Mitch

X2. It's time to replace the items and eliminate the cause of the odors.
Enjoy your Roo.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
New mattress time.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
My first suggestion would be to replace the mattresses. 16 years old, and who knows how many folks have slept on them, kids had accidents on them or whatever else has occurred.
If that's not an option, Pet shops have a product called Natures Miracle, which is great for killing odors from most organic sources.

Be advised though, the foam tends to hold everything, and the odors tend to come back in a lot of cases.

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sounds like you have done what you could with what you have, but I'd be looking at new stuff now..

Good luck!

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.