Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A Coach with 4 proper seats w/ seatbelts?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Class A Coach with 4 proper seats w/ seatbelts?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
mkiidaddy

NC

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/18 06:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi all,

First post here... thanks in advance for your wisdom & advice.

We are a family of four looking to downsize from 3,000+ sqft house to a smaller house & Class A motor-home combo. Sort of a "Home base + travel home" type arrangement.

Mom/Dad have 8+ years experience living/traveling on sailboats, so limited space living is not a mystery.

We have owned & camped in a popup and really enjoyed it.

Our biggest hangup with the Class A type is the lack of proper safety for our 5 & 9 year old children.

Question is simple. Does any company make a 2+2 type arrangement with 2 front seats + 2 proper forward facing back seats, all with OEM installed seatbelts/anchors?

Ideally, the back 2 seats would swivel freely all the way to face the back of the coach.

I did search the forum before asking, but this is a tough question to nail down with an accurate search.

Thanks, and looking forward to learning & eventually contributing.

Mike

JaxDad

Greater Toronto Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/11/18 06:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IMHO the terms “proper safety” and “motorhome” just don’t belong in the same sentence.

A typical class A motorhome has the crash resistance of an egg, it’s really strong, until it’s not.

Do a little research on school bus design, you’ll see what I mean. The floor is high so a car colliding with it goes under the children, not into them.

mkiidaddy

NC

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/18 06:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, yes I pretty much agree [emoticon]

2nd option is 5th wheel setup, but we'd like to consider both if the 2+2 Class A is something that exists.

Thanks for the reply,

M

MitchF150

Puyallup, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/18 06:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not that I've ever seen.. Once past the 2 front seats, you might see belts on the couch that's up front, but pretty much, in MH and Limo's anything past the 2 front seats is just like a "bus".. Heck, you can have open containers in the rear part of MH and limos as long as it's all "personal" transportation.

Do public buses or even school buses have seat belts?

What you are looking for is one of those 12 passenger vans that have belts for every passenger.. Then tow a nice TT to be your "house"..

Good luck!

Mitch

MountainAir05

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/18 06:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Any high end and high $$$$$ diesel Couch that you have build will have what you want. Can't say I have seen off the shelf models that will have what you might want. Have you search and how much are looking at spending over a few hundred thousands.

J&R

jefferson,ga

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/18 06:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

in 07 we looked at a safari by Monaco that had quad seating up front. That's the only one I recall seeing.

Ron & Joanne 06 Revolution LE 40E

Corkey05

Washington State

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/11/18 06:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For the last few years all motorhome manufacturers have installed seatbelts on the sofa. If there's a loveseat it's hit or miss.

2008 HR Endeavor PDQ - Ford Edge 4 Down
FMCA F374292

Lwiddis

Hearst San Simeon SP

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/11/18 06:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Safer in a truck pulling a 5er.

2015 Winnebago 2101DS TT & Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts WindyNation solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for US flag. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - old MOS 1542 & 1560.

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/18 06:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think if you want four seats in a Class A, it will be a custom installation.
Our 96 Southwind has a seat behind the front passenger seat. It swivels and will turn to the front.
If I wanted a forth seat, I would have to remove the couch. Losing the couch would not be acceptable to me.

Most Class A units are designed for two people. So, you will probably be looking at some custom work and probably losing something.
Only you can decide if it's worth the trade.

But, I think it is a neat idea. The kids could see the country while traveling rather than staring at phones or computer screens.
I hope you find what you need. Enjoy your travels.

Lancslad

SE VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/11/18 07:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our 2011 Georgetown has 2 belted seats as part of the dinette. One faces front the other rear across the table behind the drivers seat.

2011 FR Georgetown 337DS
2003 Dodge Dakota Towed

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Class A Coach with 4 proper seats w/ seatbelts?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS