Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Technology Corner: Garmin map update issues
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Garmin map update issues

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/18 05:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello.has anyone had any problems updating thier Garmin Nuvi? I bought the lifetime updates years ago, but now they are free. Anyways, when I go to update the map it wants a SD card. It’s had one for years a 4GB card. I can update the internal maps, but only with Canada and border states. It doesn’t give me any other option. When I try and download it to the SD card it doesn’t see it. However when it’s on the Garmin map install it sees the SD card. So I know it’s not the card. It’s been formatted and I tried to download them directly to the card but when I put it in the GPS it doesn’t see the new maps. I removed and reinstalled the Garmin updated but nothing. So I now have a useless GPS unless I’m in Canada!

Anyone run into this?

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

07 Cherokee 32B Dexter EZ Flex
02 Excursion 4X4 V-10 4.30 gear 5Star tuner Y-pipe mod Hellwig sway bar
Reese DualCam Prodigy brake controller

A bad day of camping is
better than a good day at work!

rrupert

NW PA

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/18 06:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Perhaps you need a higher capacity SD card or a new unit. I'm not sure if the map update files can be loaded to the SD card. The map files keep getting bigger all the time. I have an older c550 model that will only hold the continental US where it used to hold all of North America. My newer Nuvi 2555 model is still taking full map updates.

* This post was edited 06/12/18 06:22am by rrupert *

Rich and Joyce
2018 Jayco Jay Flight 21QB
2012 Ford F150 4X4 Supercrew EcoBoost
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/12/18 06:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a similar problem on a previous Garmin Nuvi, and as Rich suggested, a larger capacity SD card fixed it. I went from 4GB to 16GB.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Second Chance

Wherever...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/12/18 06:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What Rich and Dutch have said... I quit putting anything smaller than 16GB cards in our Garmin GPSs (currently own three) years ago. Haven't had a problem with map installation since.

Rob

U.S. Army retired
2016 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MOR/ryde independent suspension, disc brakes, LR G tires
PullRite OE 18K, Demco Glide Ride pin box
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

Artum Snowbird

Campbell River, B.C., Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/18 07:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In a very early model I owned, I make choices as to what went onto the chip and deleted all the parts I did not want. It took some file choices for the different languages and what I wanted for cars/trucks to show on the screen, but it eventually fit for another upgrade. Then I bought a new one.

Mike and Carole
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers

K Charles

Connecticut

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/12/18 10:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I quit updating our Nuevo about 6 or 7 years ago because the hole US would not fix. The file is too big so I could only go with parts of the country. It is about 15 years old and wound except a bigger card.

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/18 10:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks. I should’ve mentioned I put a larger card in it. My computer recognizes the card. I can download them directly to the SD card, but when I put it in the GPS it doesn’t see the card.

When I first got it I could download the parts of the US I was going to need. Never needed the card. Now it doesn’t even give me an option for parts of the US just Canada and border states. When I first started using the card I could down load all of the US. Never had an issue. Then just a few days ago I’m having hear issues. The GPS is older, probably from 2006. Maybe it’s time for a new one?

hawkeye-08

Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/18 03:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have the Garmin Nuvi 2595 and North America map is 5.88GB.. I am running an 8GB card, Garmin tells me I only have 1.37GB available using Garmin Express.

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/18 06:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK. So I took my daughters laptop and downloaded the Garmin app. plugged in the GPS to set it up and when I got to the map update link it seen the SD card and said it was downloading the NA map to that, just like it used to. Yes it is a big map. its taking a while to download. just hope all works well when I`m done.

So I uninstalled all the Garmin programs on my laptop and I will re download them for the next update. I`m thinking there was some type of data corruption to the app. and maybe the driver!

I`ll let you know what happens.
Thanks again for the help.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/18 07:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, I've had issues with the Garmin Express program before, it's a little flaky IMO. I think you've got the right idea.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Garmin map update issues
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS