cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Garmin map update issues

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Hello.has anyone had any problems updating thier Garmin Nuvi? I bought the lifetime updates years ago, but now they are free. Anyways, when I go to update the map it wants a SD card. It’s had one for years a 4GB card. I can update the internal maps, but only with Canada and border states. It doesn’t give me any other option. When I try and download it to the SD card it doesn’t see it. However when it’s on the Garmin map install it sees the SD card. So I know it’s not the card. It’s been formatted and I tried to download them directly to the card but when I put it in the GPS it doesn’t see the new maps. I removed and reinstalled the Garmin updated but nothing. So I now have a useless GPS unless I’m in Canada!

Anyone run into this?
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!
14 REPLIES 14

hawkeye-08
Explorer II
Explorer II
I also updated mine last night after realizing I was behind. Took several hours, but finished fine. I also change settings so the maps are downloaded to both device and computer (as indicated previously, I use basecamp so like to have current maps on local drive for that).

Garmin express still shows 1.38GB free.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Ok. Finished the update last night. Approx 4 hours! But I have the updated maps now. So I will try and download the Garmin apps again on my computer for the next update and see how it goes. But for now it’s workimg.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

A bad day camping is

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
Haven't had a problem yet.
When and if I do, I would ask on the Garmin Forum, maybe start here.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
“The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

Rover_Bill
Explorer II
Explorer II
dodge guy wrote:
Thanks. I should’ve mentioned I put a larger card in it. My computer recognizes the card. I can download them directly to the SD card, but when I put it in the GPS it doesn’t see the card.

When I first got it I could download the parts of the US I was going to need. Never needed the card. Now it doesn’t even give me an option for parts of the US just Canada and border states. When I first started using the card I could down load all of the US. Never had an issue. Then just a few days ago I’m having hear issues. The GPS is older, probably from 2006. Maybe it’s time for a new one?

GARMIN recommend SD card size (max) and type for their various GPS can be found HERE

Also your PC may be formatting the SD card using a format not recognized by the GPS. Always download map updates via GARMIN Express on your PC while the GPS is connected to the PC via a USB cable.

I always download the maps to my PC so that I can use them with GARMIN BaseCamp and then copy them to the GPS via Express and a USB cable connection to the GPS (never directly to the SD card).
2015 GMC Canyon 3.6L V6 4X4 TowHaul SLE ExtCab Bronze
2016 Keystone Passport GT 2670BH
ReCurve R6 hitch, DirecLink brake controller
2005 Suzuki C50 2006 Suzuki S40

southernsky
Explorer
Explorer
We have a RV760 and is pretty much useless in Canada. Once we crossed the border it doesn't work right. Can't figure out the problem
2022 Renegade Super C
2020 Ford Ranger 4x4 Sport

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well, I've had issues with the Garmin Express program before, it's a little flaky IMO. I think you've got the right idea.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
OK. So I took my daughters laptop and downloaded the Garmin app. plugged in the GPS to set it up and when I got to the map update link it seen the SD card and said it was downloading the NA map to that, just like it used to. Yes it is a big map. its taking a while to download. just hope all works well when I`m done.

So I uninstalled all the Garmin programs on my laptop and I will re download them for the next update. I`m thinking there was some type of data corruption to the app. and maybe the driver!

I`ll let you know what happens.
Thanks again for the help.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

A bad day camping is

hawkeye-08
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have the Garmin Nuvi 2595 and North America map is 5.88GB.. I am running an 8GB card, Garmin tells me I only have 1.37GB available using Garmin Express.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. I should’ve mentioned I put a larger card in it. My computer recognizes the card. I can download them directly to the SD card, but when I put it in the GPS it doesn’t see the card.

When I first got it I could download the parts of the US I was going to need. Never needed the card. Now it doesn’t even give me an option for parts of the US just Canada and border states. When I first started using the card I could down load all of the US. Never had an issue. Then just a few days ago I’m having hear issues. The GPS is older, probably from 2006. Maybe it’s time for a new one?
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

A bad day camping is

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
I quit updating our Nuevo about 6 or 7 years ago because the hole US would not fix. The file is too big so I could only go with parts of the country. It is about 15 years old and wound except a bigger card.

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
In a very early model I owned, I make choices as to what went onto the chip and deleted all the parts I did not want. It took some file choices for the different languages and what I wanted for cars/trucks to show on the screen, but it eventually fit for another upgrade. Then I bought a new one.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
What Rich and Dutch have said... I quit putting anything smaller than 16GB cards in our Garmin GPSs (currently own three) years ago. Haven't had a problem with map installation since.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
I had a similar problem on a previous Garmin Nuvi, and as Rich suggested, a larger capacity SD card fixed it. I went from 4GB to 16GB.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

rrupert
Explorer
Explorer
Perhaps you need a higher capacity SD card or a new unit. I'm not sure if the map update files can be loaded to the SD card. The map files keep getting bigger all the time. I have an older c550 model that will only hold the continental US where it used to hold all of North America. My newer Nuvi 2555 model is still taking full map updates.
Rich and Joyce
2018 Jayco Jay Flight 21QB
2012 Ford F150 4X4 Supercrew EcoBoost
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch

Amateur Radio K3EXU